Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-10, 06:22 AM   #1
Blade
It's just a ride....

Default Wings Of Prey Flight Sim

OMFG!

Simply the most stunning visuals ever seen in a flight sim!

Playing it with Nvidia 3D Vision Discover, the plane is on the desk infront of me, awsome!

Dev support is speedy with patches too!

Imho this is THE most visually stunning presentation of a flight enviroment ever seen, blows FSX out of the water.

Scalable difficulty from arcade through to sim.
Old 01-21-10, 07:01 AM   #2
Blade
It's just a ride....

Default Re: Wings Of Prey Flight Sim

Excellent screenshots, thanks!
Old 01-21-10, 09:46 AM   #3
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Tried the demo, loved it, except for controls - kinda like Crimson Skies which is one of my all time favs. I love arcade-ish flight sims. Waiting for steam sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 10:03 AM   #4
methimpikehoses

I liked the demo as well, I might pick this up at some point.
Old 01-22-10, 04:05 AM   #5
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
OMFG!

Simply the most stunning visuals ever seen in a flight sim!

Playing it with Nvidia 3D Vision Discover, the plane is on the desk infront of me, awsome!

Dev support is speedy with patches too!

Imho this is THE most visually stunning presentation of a flight enviroment ever seen, blows FSX out of the water.

Scalable difficulty from arcade through to sim.
the cheap colored lense glasses?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 08:30 AM   #6
Blade
It's just a ride....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
the cheap colored lense glasses?
Yes, the effect is simply stunning, cost me nothing except a driver update & a pair of 5 plastic 3d glasses from a well know auction site.
Old 01-22-10, 08:44 AM   #7
HiCZoK4

I was always wondering how tose stereo glyph work on nvidia.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:01 AM   #8
KrAzYeTy

Played all last night, and wow its intense. On realistic its actually really tough!

Playing with an X52 pro works just perfect. Having to load the patches manually for the steam version kinda sucks ass, but had no issues patching it. over 1GB worth of patches already!!! BTW it is quite beautiful.
KrAzYeTy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-10, 06:57 PM   #9
SignorSalad
Yarrr!

Just so ya know and can make a more informed purchasing decision, Wings of Prey comes with the DRM formerly known as StarForce (redone and now named FrontLine Proactive). 3 activation limit (they will *supposedly* increase upon individual request per a dev in the steam forums).

I'm ignorant about FrontLine, but my distaste for Starforce and the 3 activation limit was a dealbreaker for me. I'll do without for now, even though I like sims and want to support those who continue to develop them for the PC.
Old 02-24-10, 07:48 PM   #10
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignorSalad View Post
I'm ignorant about FrontLine, but my distaste for Starforce and the 3 activation limit was a dealbreaker for me. I'll do without for now, even though I like sims and want to support those who continue to develop them for the PC.
You should probably post your reason for not buying the game on their official forum or email it to the developer or publisher. Simply saying it here and not buying a game that you would otherwise support is just going to give the already floundering Sim market one less sale.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 08:33 PM   #11
SignorSalad
Yarrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
You should probably post your reason for not buying the game on their official forum or email it to the developer or publisher. Simply saying it here and not buying a game that you would otherwise support is just going to give the already floundering Sim market one less sale.
Great suggestion, but already done. Dev rep response in a nutshell was - thanks for the feedback, but they had already invested the money and resources to purchase and implement FrontLine and weren't deviating from that direction at this time.

My reasons for posting here was that I noticed this thread (I read nvnews often but rarely post) and figured this may help others make better informed buying decisions. I have a tendency not to look at the DRM info on Steam before enthusiastically clicking the buy button and was glad for the heads up when I was told about it.

I'm certainly not asking anyone to boycott or not purchase based on the devs decision. If someone doesn't mind that sort of thing, purchase away. Less intrusive DRM doesn't keep me from buying, but the history behind Starforce (even if Frontline is completely benign) has personally scared me away.
Old 02-25-10, 09:59 PM   #12
ahheadlock

for those who have this, what's the core gameplay like? is there a 'story' or is it a dynamic campaign sort of thing?

how user friendly is the arcadey difficulty? i like sims but only to a point, when you need to be an actual pilot to play a computer a game i draw the line.

x360 controller support?

i'll give the demo a squiz anyway, just curious about the full game.
ahheadlock is offline   Reply With Quote