Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-10, 11:10 PM   #1
maestro058

Question Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

Does anyone know what I can do to get the audio working. I am using a Geforce 9500 GT and a Samsung 40" LCD TV. I have the DVI/HDMI cable with the appropriate rca and split red and white audio cable but bo sound. Excellent video but no sound. Can anyone help me. I am using FC 11.
maestro058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 01:38 PM   #2
Deanjo

Default Re: Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro058 View Post
Does anyone know what I can do to get the audio working. I am using a Geforce 9500 GT and a Samsung 40" LCD TV. I have the DVI/HDMI cable with the appropriate rca and split red and white audio cable but bo sound. Excellent video but no sound. Can anyone help me. I am using FC 11.
Make sure alsa is trying to use the correct device and of course check your mute buttons.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 04:51 PM   #3
maestro058

Question Re: Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

Please forgive me if this sounds insulting or dumb on my part, but I am not a techy. I only learn things by asking questions and doing what I learn even if that sometimes gives negative results. I suppose I am often using trial and error with guidance from others. As such, I am not sure what you mean by making sure alsa is trying to use the correct device. There is only one sound card and only one video card.

On the other hand, I have a tv card installed, but am not using it at this time. The only problem that I am aware of regarding that tv card is that the Alsamixer and kmixer automatically assume the tv card is the first audio source that the mixer should present to me and is the primary audio source. I, of course, mute the tv card because I am not using it and do not even have any video cables connected to it. However, all of the audio in the computer is still functioning and I can hear it through my headphones if the headphones are connected directly to the computer. In any case, could that mixer confusion somehow be the cause even though it does not effect the audio from the computer itself? Remember, if I listen to the computer through tit's own audio connections I hear it. When I connect the audio to the audio input on the TV I do not hear it anymore. Very strange for me!

There was sound coming through the tv from the computer when I was using the automatically installed Nouveau Nvidia driver that Fedora had given me with FC 11. I eliminated that, or at least think I did, when I installed the Nvidia driver downloaded from the Nvidia web page. I did that because the 3d graphics for games, and such did not function correctly. I only had basic video capabilities, but did have audio from the computer. Then, after installing the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia and getting the appropriate kmod, I had 3D but suddenly lost the sound from the computer.

I certainly could get rid of the Nvidia driver and go back to the Nouveau Nvidia driver, but then I lose the game capabilities and that is part of what I need to keep. I have read that there are a lot of people who have had the same problem, but they were in Windows. Nvidia is installed differently in Windows and they were given data or a program to input into that driver to fix the driver so it would allow or fool the Tv into using the sound. That correction procedure was for Windows users, but I would assume or at least hope there is a solution for Linux users.

Isn't there anyone else out there who had the same or similar problem but found the solution??
Old 01-22-10, 04:58 PM   #4
maestro058

Default Re: Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

Oh yeah! Forgive me again. I forgot to mention that I have had a serious difficulty finding SPDIF cables. I think that is very odd since almost everything either is or is going digital in some form. So why can't I find the darn cables? Nevertheless, because I cannot find the SPDIF cables I do not have the audio connected digitally. I have the video digitally connected but the audio remains analog. That truly sucks! However, could THAT be the route of my entire problem?
Old 01-22-10, 05:03 PM   #5
conky

Quote:
I have the video digitally connected but the audio remains analog. That truly sucks! However, could THAT be the route of my entire problem?
It could be. Your TV is probably playing the blank audio signal from the HDMI cable. Some TVs have an option to force analog audio for HDMI in. If yours doesn't, you'll have to provide a custom EDID with the audio extension removed for your TV. This has been done before, search the forum for instructions. You could also try contacting your video card manufacturer for SPDIF cables.
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 01:43 AM   #6
maestro058

Question Re: Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

conky said, "If yours doesn't, you'll have to provide a custom EDID with the audio extension removed for your TV. This has been done before, search the forum for instructions." I certainly appreciate that help but I am sorry to say I am a little more lost. I am extremely new to any involvement of the EDID. I saw an (acquire EDID) button at the very end of my Nvidia Display Settings and thus did so. I received an EDID.bin file and have absolutely no idea of what to do with it.

I did a search in the forums for help related to my issue, but all I find is information related to actual video difficulties which I do not have. Some of the information may still be useful to me, but none of them are for a Geforce 9500GT video card and do not even have anything to do with the audio.

Nevertheless, I seem to be having a problem finding how I am supposed to use the EDID anyway. Some people mention telling xorg.conf to read, access, or go to the EDID file wherever I tell xorg to locate it. What I have not understood is how I tell xorg to do those things. Forgive me, but do I have to get out of X and input that information entirely in text format or do I just go to root user and input the text with a text editor? THen, where do I put the link for the EDID in xorg?

On the other hand, conky said, "custom EDID with the audio extension removed for your TV", and I most certainly found nothing telling me how to customize the EDID. Can anyone help me with that as well?

ALSO! If you see this again, conky, please forgive me if I sound quite computer illiterate, but I just never thought I would need this stuff. haha In any case, are you also telling me that the SPDIF connection between the motherboard and the video card would eliminate the audio problem completely and customizing the EDID would be a workaround to fool the TV so to speak?

Oh yeah, even if someone helps me understand the EDID issue (I really hope someone does) here is my other problem. I am an American living in Honduras. They are modernizing down here, but being able to get everything I need like an internal SPDIF connection is almost like expecting to find a billion dollars on my doorstep. hahahahahaha I found vendors in the US who have the wires, but there were only a few and none of them will ship to Honduras. If anyone knows of a place that will ship here I will be extremely grateful if whoever informs me of that. Thanks again for any help I can get.
Old 01-23-10, 03:35 PM   #7
conky

Quote:
conky said, "If yours doesn't, you'll have to provide a custom EDID with the audio extension removed for your TV. This has been done before, search the forum for instructions." I certainly appreciate that help but I am sorry to say I am a little more lost. I am extremely new to any involvement of the EDID. I saw an (acquire EDID) button at the very end of my Nvidia Display Settings and thus did so. I received an EDID.bin file and have absolutely no idea of what to do with it.
On the other hand, conky said, "custom EDID with the audio extension removed for your TV", and I most certainly found nothing telling me how to customize the EDID. Can anyone help me with that as well?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118691

This is the thread where others discussed how to edit the EDID to remove the audio extension. You will need to edit the file in a hex editor according to their description and specify the CustomEDID option in xorg.conf. Sorry if this is a bit complicated, but unfortunately, that's how these things go.

Quote:
Nevertheless, I seem to be having a problem finding how I am supposed to use the EDID anyway. Some people mention telling xorg.conf to read, access, or go to the EDID file wherever I tell xorg to locate it. What I have not understood is how I tell xorg to do those things. Forgive me, but do I have to get out of X and input that information entirely in text format or do I just go to root user and input the text with a text editor? THen, where do I put the link for the EDID in xorg?
You can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a text editor within X. Then, restart X to reload the configuration. You place the CustomEDID option in either the Screen or Device section of xorg.conf. The driver readme explains the CustomEDID option: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFre...ppendix-b.html

Quote:
In any case, are you also telling me that the SPDIF connection between the motherboard and the video card would eliminate the audio problem completely and customizing the EDID would be a workaround to fool the TV so to speak?
Yes, with the SPDIF cable, you would have digital audio over HDMI, and the TV would play that without the need for the analog cables. Customizing the EDID is just a workaround.
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 04:24 PM   #8
maestro058

Talking Re: Lost the audio on my tv after installing the nvidia driver for my video card.

Thank you again conky. I am honestly thrilled that forums like this one exist with people like you in them. I may very well be back asking for more help but I am fairly confident that this is the place to ask for it.

THis may be a bit of an OOOPS, but I am suddenly coming to the conclusion that I either have to get a new video card with true HDMI (having an HDMI connection), or I will have to do the EDID customization anyway. My conclusion is based on a (my hypothesis alone for now) somewhat odd situation. My video card has dual DVI with an Svideo/HDTV connection. I have thus connected the DVI to the tv with a DVI to HDMI cable and as such have to connect the audio with the normal headphone/speaker rca cable that has a red and white speaker connection on the other end.

Of course, I am only theorizing these thoughts. So I ask you, with SPDIF connected between the MBoard and the video card will the rca audio connection pass digital audio to the tv with the digital video going through the DVI/HDMI cable or will it still be thinking it must send analog audio and thus needing the EDID customization to give me that ever so elusive audio. hahaha That question may be a bit excessive but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing and you are truly helping me learn.

Old 01-25-10, 09:24 AM   #9
jpterj

Quote:
Oh yeah! Forgive me again. I forgot to mention that I have had a serious difficulty finding SPDIF cables. I think that is very odd since almost everything either is or is going digital in some form. So why can't I find the darn cables? Nevertheless, because I cannot find the SPDIF cables I do not have the audio connected digitally. I have the video digitally connected but the audio remains analog. That truly sucks! However, could THAT be the route of my entire problem?
The SPDIF cable is just a two wire cable with motherboard header connectors at each end.
If you have any unused cables with such connectors you can probably modify one of them by reducing the connector to two or three pins for the motherboard and two pins for the video card.

Just make sure to consult the user manual for your motherboard to find the correct pinout of the SPDIF header. If it has three pins then one of them is probably +5V meant for driving the LED of an optical SPDIF output. If you accidentally connect this to your video card it will probably cause serious damage!
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-10, 09:30 AM   #10
jpterj

Quote:
Thank you again conky. I am honestly thrilled that forums like this one exist with people like you in them. I may very well be back asking for more help but I am fairly confident that this is the place to ask for it.

THis may be a bit of an OOOPS, but I am suddenly coming to the conclusion that I either have to get a new video card with true HDMI (having an HDMI connection), or I will have to do the EDID customization anyway. My conclusion is based on a (my hypothesis alone for now) somewhat odd situation. My video card has dual DVI with an Svideo/HDTV connection. I have thus connected the DVI to the tv with a DVI to HDMI cable and as such have to connect the audio with the normal headphone/speaker rca cable that has a red and white speaker connection on the other end.

Of course, I am only theorizing these thoughts. So I ask you, with SPDIF connected between the MBoard and the video card will the rca audio connection pass digital audio to the tv with the digital video going through the DVI/HDMI cable or will it still be thinking it must send analog audio and thus needing the EDID customization to give me that ever so elusive audio. hahaha That question may be a bit excessive but I want to be sure I am doing the right thing and you are truly helping me learn.
Digital/SPDIF audio should work with a DVI/HDMI cable. At least it did for me when testing on a MSI 8600GT card with SPDIF connector but only DVI output.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote