Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-10, 07:55 AM   #13
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Default Re: Tear free 2D desktop, is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
Is it true that if u have vdpau enabled u HAVE to disable compositing in order to stop the tearing problem?
No.

Quote:
i did it and it worked BUT it disabled the effects in ubuntu i believe they're called meta, right?
No.
It is either compiz or kwin or metacity, but probably you are using compiz. The ps command can help you in order to find it out. But what Ubuntu is calling "desktop effects" is the compiz window/composite-manager. It is configured as explained earlier by Aaron Plattner, however, ubuntu does not install ccsm by default. You have to install it with sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager.

Quote:
i find it odd that the default application for changing the resolution and screen refresh of the screen wont let me put more than 54 hz
If by "default application" you are referring to the Gnome Application for doing it (which is not "the" default, maybe the default for ubuntu or gnome): this is because of the fact that nvidia uses refresh rates as unique identifiers for modes. So all xrandr based tools are a bit confused. You can read a lot on that topic on this forum, including in this thread. You can change this behaviour by disabling DynamicTwinView, which I do not recommend at all.

I recommend using nvidia-settings or the KDE display configuration tool, as both of them are capable of working with the way nvidia implements this.

Quote:
and i try setting the screen rate in the x server configuration panel , im able to do it, i change it from auto to 60 hz but when i reboot is on auto AGAIN! =/ and i also tried using "save to x configuration file" but i get a error message
Please read the thread on how to report problems and provide a nvidia bug report, so that we can try to find out what refresh rates are detected, why they are detected and which rates are used.
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 08:49 AM   #14
Chad_Petree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvFuchs View Post
No.
No.
It is either compiz or kwin or metacity, but probably you are using compiz. The ps command can help you in order to find it out. But what Ubuntu is calling "desktop effects" is the compiz window/composite-manager. It is configured as explained earlier by Aaron Plattner, however, ubuntu does not install ccsm by default. You have to install it with sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager.
ps command? ccsm? sorry im still a newbie to linux/ubuntu , i'm refering to these effects:

Quote:
If by "default application" you are referring to the Gnome Application for doing it (which is not "the" default, maybe the default for ubuntu or gnome): this is because of the fact that nvidia uses refresh rates as unique identifiers for modes. So all xrandr based tools are a bit confused. You can read a lot on that topic on this forum, including in this thread. You can change this behaviour by disabling DynamicTwinView, which I do not recommend at all.

I recommend using nvidia-settings or the KDE display configuration tool, as both of them are capable of working with the way nvidia implements this.
This is what i call "the default application" -which u mentioned its not, just on ubuntu or gnome desktop)

U say i should change it using this tool, right?

Chad_Petree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:01 AM   #15
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
ps command?
ps is a command ran on a terminal, which shows you all running processes. It can be filtered with the grep command.

Sample: Open a terminal and type

ps aux | grep compiz

this will show you all running processes with "compiz" in the name. Of course you can use a graphical application such as gnome-system-monitor as well.

Quote:
ccsm?
ccsm is the compizconfig-settings-manager, a graphical application used to configure compiz. (see below for information on compiz). You can install it with the command I mentioned, or with your graphical package management application.

Quote:
sorry im still a newbie to linux/ubuntu
Not a problem for me, as everybody starts as a newbie, however, it is hard to explain advanced topics then. I recommend that you have a look at your distributors (e.g. Ubuntu) forums and wikis. As for ubuntu, I know that there is an excellent german community providing a forum and a wiki. Sure there is such a community for your language (english, I guess) as well. You will learn much of the basics there.

Quote:
, i'm refering to these effects:
http://reformedmusings.files.wordpre...l-effects1.png
Yes. This GUI switches your window manager (the application which is responsible for placing and moving your windows) to compiz. Compiz provides you some effects, such as wobbly windows, a cube or similar things. It's an application on it's own, which replaces your default window manager (metacity). It is configured either via the GUI Ubuntu provides, or the previously mentioned CCSM. I recommend installing ccsm, as the howto of AaronP refers to it.

So, as a summary: Please install ccsm and configure your compiz according to AaronPs Post in this thread. This should get you more or less tear-free desktop.

Regarding the refresh rate: Please do not use the tool provided by Gnome, it is not really aware of nvidias implementation. Use nvidia-settings instead.

Edit: you got it right, with your screenshots. The second application is the one you should use.

Keep in mind that you need root (system administrator) privileges (provided via sudo for ubuntu, read your distributors manual on this topic) in order to use the "Save to X Configuration" button in nvidia-settings. Usually this just means that you have to run nvidia-settings with gksu nvidia-settings (please only do this when you need to change the X configuration. Regular settings don't need this and you should never run an application with administrative privileges if not necessary)

As you previously used the Gnome Application in screenshot 1: Please check whether there is a ~/.config/monitors.xml file in your home directory (the .config directory is, as it starts with a ., invisible). If so: please remove this file.

Unfortunately my time is currently limited due to exams, so if I don't answer right away either have patience or ask your local ubuntu community.

Kind regards

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:19 AM   #16
Chad_Petree

Quote:
Not a problem for me, as everybody starts as a newbie, however, it is hard to explain advanced topics then. I recommend that you have a look at your distributors (e.g. Ubuntu) forums and wikis. As for ubuntu, I know that there is an excellent german community providing a forum and a wiki. Sure there is such a community for your language (english, I guess) as well. You will learn much of the basics there.
Yep, trust i'm reading A LOT my language is spanish, but english is fine for me, i understand almost anything, btw compiz and compiz fusion are the same thing right?

Quote:
Regarding the refresh rate: Please do not use the tool provided by Gnome, it is not really aware of nvidias implementation. Use nvidia-settings instead.

Edit: you got it right, with your screenshots. The second application is the one you should use.

Keep in mind that you need root (system administrator) privileges (provided via sudo for ubuntu, read your distributors manual on this topic) in order to use the "Save to X Configuration" button in nvidia-settings. Usually this just means that you have to run nvidia-settings with gksu nvidia-settings (please only do this when you need to change the X configuration. Regular settings don't need this and you should never run an application with administrative privileges if not necessary)
I want to save the configuration only because when i restart the configuration is lost

[quote=NvFuchs;2175393] As you previously used the Gnome Application in screenshot 1: Please check whether there is a ~/.config/monitors.xml file in your home directory (the .config directory is, as it starts with a ., invisible). If so: please remove this file.

Ok will do

Quote:
Unfortunately my time is currently limited due to exams, so if I don't answer right away either have patience or ask your local ubuntu community.

Kind regards

Fuchs
Thank u for your time , hey as long as i'm getting some answers i can wait , good luck with ur exams !
Old 01-30-10, 02:00 AM   #17
Chad_Petree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Compiz has an option to unredirect full-screen windows. That allows the video player to draw directly to the screen instead of having to redirect through Compiz, which will improve performance and reduce tearing. Obviously it only works when you're watching a video full-screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Run ccsm, then click "General Options" and check the box next to "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows". While you're there, click on the "Display Settings" tab, turn off "Detect Refresh Rate", and then set the "Refresh Rate" slider to double your screen refresh rate (e.g. 120 if you have a 60 Hz screen). That should help improve smoothness and reduce tearing for regular non-fullscreen stuff.

Im confused, first u said thoing those steps in ccsm would improve the tearing in the non-full screen stuff and then u said if would improve just the full-screen stuff, nevertheless i followed your instructions but the tearing is STILL THERE