NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Assassin's Creed II specs & price info released

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDio View Post
In the same sense, why a PC game is not worth $30
That's not an answer.

I am not asking about why they are now going to be $60, or what the differences are between a console and PC, I am asking a simple and plain question: why are they worth $50 but not $60?
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 05:52 PM   #27
JohnDio

Too expensive NarcissistZero, come on it's common sense. Now if you gonna say <<Oh come on, it's only 10$>> i can easily counter it by saying <<40$ is a better price, thus more people can afford buying it and it is only 10$ less>>

PS: I will get it for free, so i can easily say that it doesn't matter to me how much Ubi will price it. As a reviewer though i will take into consideration this price tag, if the port justifies this price (yeah, now that they want more cash, i demand more than a simple port from Ubi) and all those lovely little details
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:03 PM   #28
Chesskid1

Narcissist, I agree with what you saying but there's no point in arguing with these people. You can cite "inflation" or "rising price of production costs" or anything else you can think of those ppl won't ever change their mind about paying more for a video game.

if iirc, making games for this gen (xbox 360/ps3) cost most of the time DOUBLE what it costs to make them on xbox1,ps2, then add in inflation, you should be really grateful some games are still $50 new (and drop really fast most of the time!). licensing fees for consoles are usually $3-$10 according to ign, fwiw.

most people are stingy with money, price increases in anything will have ppl complaining no matter what, so there's no point in arguing with them.
Chesskid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:13 PM   #29
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Too expensive NarcissistZero, come on it's common sense. Now if you gonna say <<Oh come on, it's only 10$>> i can easily counter it by saying <<40$ is a better price, thus more people can afford buying it and it is only 10$ less>>
I'm saying that 10s of millions of console gamers have said $60 is a fair price, why do PC gamers act like it is way too expensive?

That is my main issue.

When console games went to $60 I said to myself "well inflation and higher development costs, I guess that makes sense." I don't see it as any different on PC and am surprised it took them this long.

The license fee statement is true, but that has no impact or influence on the consumer. The extra money due to no license fee could also mean more profits from PC, which is nice.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-26-10, 06:33 PM   #30
JohnDio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post

When console games went to $60 I said to myself "well inflation and higher development costs, I guess that makes sense." I don't see it as any different on PC and am surprised it took them this long.

The extra money due to no license fee could also mean more profits from PC, which is nice.
There is major difference here. You pay for the consoles 60$ and you get a console game. So i wouldn't mind paying 60$ if i was getting a proper PC game, with native 3D support, proper SLI scalling,utilizing the multicores (well, which it does given the nature of X360), PROPER PC options and when the game has a Multiplayer mode, proper PC Multiplayer with lobbies, server lists, dedi servers and so on (do you want me to remind you SC: Double Agent and its really sh!ty support? And yeah, they should also keep supporting and patching the game. After all, you pay them 60$ and demand a quality product... it's not 40$ that you can forgive them for dropping support).

It all comes down to the work of the companies. Ubisoft all this time was simply porting their games (let's forget GRAW2 that was made for PC's, a brave move at that time). If they want to charge more, they should deliver more than simple ports. Plain and simple and you'll get what you pay for.

If you think otherwise, then you have really low standards when buying PC games. So a company wants to charge you more but they refuge to deliver more than ports and you applause it? I mean, what next? Indie devs charging 60$ their games cause it's... year 2010 and the end of the world will come in 2012( )? Come on, be serious!

PS: And in the same sense of <<The extra money due to no license fee could also mean more profits from PC, which is nice.>>, i can say that <<A lower price will attract more buyers, which means more sales and more profits in the long run>>. Don't believe me? See what is happening with the Steam offerings and you get a small glimpse of it
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 06:52 PM   #31
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I'm saying that 10s of millions of console gamers have said $60 is a fair price, why do PC gamers act like it is way too expensive?

That is my main issue.

The license fee statement is true, but that has no impact or influence on the consumer. The extra money due to no license fee could also mean more profits from PC, which is nice.
For $60 you are guaranteed that the game will work on your console. Although its rare to see a compatibility problem, there's always the chance that your PC game just won't work. Unless you have a high end system, your experience is probably going to be better on a console.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 07:08 PM   #32
agentkay

I agree JohnDio, getting a half-assed console port which is basically a carbon-copy of the console version, nothing is improved for the PC platform (like they always used to do in the past), combine that with poor support and in general getting treated like a 2nd class customer and then on top of that accept price gouging? Why don't they blame pirates and cost for DRM for the higher price, or even better the sooo incredibly higher development cost? Oh wait, the last one is a lie, development costs are NOT much higher than they were 10 years ago, PR campaigns, ads, and all that crap costs much more but since they barely advertise the PC versions (they delay the PC versions on purpose, so they don't steal console sales) they simply have no right to pull that excuse either.

Sorry but I don't support that type of BS out of principle, I didn't buy crap like MW2 either.

Now if they delivered a technically proper PC version, just like JohnDio said, released it as close as possible at the console release date, support it and make the DRM totally fair for registered and confirmed buyers and treat them with the respect they deserve, then I could understand the price increase ($10), even when we spend much more on our PC hardware, and they don't have to pay MS/Sony royaltys, because in that case the benefits would surely outweight the price increase.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-10, 08:35 PM   #33
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
For $60 you are guaranteed that the game will work on your console. Although its rare to see a compatibility problem, there's always the chance that your PC game just won't work. Unless you have a high end system, your experience is probably going to be better on a console.
Oh go away.

Quote:
If you think otherwise, then you have really low standards when buying PC games.
Or maybe I don't get ticked off at every little thing like a lot of PC gamers.

We have this epic rep as fanboys and elitists for a reason.

Old 01-26-10, 10:04 PM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesskid1 View Post

most people are stingy with money, price increases in anything will have ppl complaining no matter what, so there's no point in arguing with them.
exactly, prices keep increasing on everything, while pay rarelly increases and many people keep loosing jobs, while many more still keep looking. and then you wonder why people are "stingy" with money
Old 01-26-10, 10:17 PM   #35
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I'm not a fan of $60 PC games either, but if you really think about it, PC games are about the only thing that hasn't increased in price.

Atari 2600 games were $50 back in the early 1980's when minimum wage was around $3 per hour.

According to the inflation calculator, games should cost upwards of $120 now...

Like I said, I don't think it'd be reasonable to charge that much (sorry Australia... ) but considering how much more "stuff" we get and how much more work went into it, games are a bargain these days. Especially when you get can get them on sale if you wait a few weeks.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 12:05 PM   #36
enoteware
Just Basically Awesome

Start a game review website and write off the cost of these games

TV/Media Center - Panasonic TCP-54G25 Plasma, Pioneer 1021-K Receiver. Klipsch speakers that are too loud for my place. Xbox 360 - PS3 - Apple TV

Facebook
enoteware is offline   Reply With Quote