Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-10, 10:28 AM   #13
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: Ubisoft to Require Constant Internet for Gameplay

Companies just getting more stupid and stupid.. they will never learn ?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 10:28 AM   #14
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap, that should happen long time ago, would cut back on piracy. and after a year or so, they could release a patch to disable it and would contain the required files that were on server before.
Heck make future games like Guild Wars, The part installed is a small file and when you log in it downloads the required content only. So its constantly downloading and deleting files as you play.
Old 01-26-10, 10:31 AM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

yeah, that would be great, all you need 7-8mb file, start it input login info and game is ready in 30 minutes or so
Old 01-26-10, 10:35 AM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
yeah, that would be great, all you need 7-8mb file, start it input login info and game is ready in 30 minutes or so
Guild Wars is available in far less times, it would work really well with games that contain smaller areas, much like Mass Effect or an RTS.
Old 01-26-10, 10:52 AM   #17
Q

Cool Re: Ubisoft to Require Constant Internet for Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
I don't know about you guys but my internet is always plugged in so this doesn't bother me.
A lot of people are still on dial-up, by choice or by necessity and contrary to popular belief. Whenever I go visit my in-laws, who are restricted to 22k dial, I load up the laptop with games to pass the time. Steam's offline mode, while HORRIBLE for the first few years of its existence, actually works pretty well now.

If I'm tethered to the network I'll also be tethered to my cash.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 10:55 AM   #18
Q

Quote:
and how often that happens, last time that happened was maybe 5 years ago
Depends on where you live. When I was in an apartment complex, I'd lose internet for days sometimes. At least an hour or two outage every month or so. Now that I own my own home I don't think I've had an outage. But, please see my previous post.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/..._with_dial_up/
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 10:56 AM   #19
nomec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
A lot of people are still on dial-up, by choice or by necessity and contrary to popular belief. Whenever I go visit my in-laws, who are restricted to 22k dial, I load up the laptop with games to pass the time. Steam's offline mode, while HORRIBLE for the first few years of its existence, actually works pretty well now.

If I'm tethered to the network I'll also be tethered to my cash.
So you go to your in-laws and just play video games? If I am visiting people I sure am not gonna be just sitting around playing games.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 11:37 AM   #20
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
I don't know about you guys but my internet is always plugged in so this doesn't bother me.
I agree. AT&T DSL ftw. Now I just wish I had faster speeds.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-10, 11:55 AM   #21
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
yap, that should happen long time ago, would cut back on piracy. and after a year or so, they could release a patch to disable it and would contain the required files that were on server before.
They should say that up front. MMOs should do the same thing as well... no game should ever one day be completely unplayable, if you ask me.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:08 PM   #22
LurkerLito

Would it bother me? No, probably not, I am always online unless something happens on the ISPs end. But I'd still boycott all single player games that have no offline mode. I don't care if I have only had about four 30 minute outages over the past decade. No local saving, no offline mode, means no purchase.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:11 PM   #23
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
They should say that up front. MMOs should do the same thing as well... no game should ever one day be completely unplayable, if you ask me.
I had one night without internet recently. I couldn't get any of my games in Steam to even launch. It would pop up say no connection to Steam and quit out on me. Apparently without Steam being able to authenticate you wouldn't be able to play any games from Steam either. I wasn't aware of this till then. While I'd prefer this type of "check your key online" while playing, that could be a hassle too. I say just do away with DRM altogether, price games at $25 and the piracy problem will solve itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 12:30 PM   #24
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

A crack today keeps the DRM away... Honestly, I could care less what company makes any attempt to folly pirates, the end game is always the same. I still buy many games retail and every one of them is cracked b/c I dont feel like dealing with the crap involved with all the different "authentication" modes; also Ive noticed many games tend to run better once cracked...

As far as Steam is concerned, all games purchased thru steam, no problems, b

Also, Ubisoft can go **** itself in the ass ****ing elk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
This is horrible. Ubisoft publishes some of the best PC games right now.
Is that a joke? I can't think of a single game I have form Ubi thats worked proper in years! Hell, even farcry2 broke after the 1st patch (not fixed in 2nd or 3rd)

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote