Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-10, 05:27 PM   #49
3DBrad

Default Re: Ubisoft to Require Constant Internet for Gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Definitely boycotting all Ubisoft PC games now. I guess I need to go rent AC2 again and finish it on my PS3 since I won't be buying it. Complain all you want that "you're just denying yourself, and boycotts don't work", but what they are doing is wrong period. We as consumers have let s**t like this slide for years now on PC and at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and say no more. Activation was the last compromise of my consumer rights I was barely willing to accept. Always online for single player games is definitely not acceptable in anyway even if I have a extremely reliable internet connection.
Unless you have a better business model that will keep PC gaming alive, then I really like this idea.

I'd love to see this be a business model that supports PC development!
Old 01-27-10, 07:55 PM   #50
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
Definitely boycotting all Ubisoft PC games now. I guess I need to go rent AC2 again and finish it on my PS3 since I won't be buying it. Complain all you want that "you're just denying yourself, and boycotts don't work", but what they are doing is wrong period. We as consumers have let s**t like this slide for years now on PC and at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and say no more. Activation was the last compromise of my consumer rights I was barely willing to accept. Always online for single player games is definitely not acceptable in anyway even if I have a extremely reliable internet connection.
You really have to think of these things as to how much they affect you, rather that principle. The fact is piracy is rampant in all media right now with PC gaming being a particularly bad one. These companies are trying to find ways to remain profitable on the PC and as PC enthusiasts we should support that. Mass Effect 2 released with just a disc check and people are pirating the hell out of it, these companies can't win.

So how will this effect you? With a constant Internet connection probably barely at all, depending on your situation. One day they will either patch out the requirement or a crack will be released, which means long-term it won't effect you much either. Think of it that way.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:15 AM   #51
LabShark

It is the idea that you have to be online to play on offline game. Do we really trust that principle?
1200W Thermaltake PS
6GB G. Skill RAM
X-Fi Fatality
Intel X25-M SSD
300GB Raptor
640GB WD Cavair 16MB
LG BluRayDisc
LG SuperDisc
Lian Li PC80 Armorsuit
W7 64 bit
LabShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 10:23 AM   #52
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabShark View Post
It is the idea that you have to be online to play on offline game. Do we really trust that principle?
I don't like it, but at the same time I don't blame them for trying to keep the PC profitable and I support that goal.

They will patch it out eventually, or the community will. Long-term it's not a big deal to me.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-28-10, 12:42 PM   #53
LurkerLito

*A Bit Long *

No unfortunately I have to go on principle. I am one that believes that you should treat your customers with respect and that two wrongs don't make a right. Yes you are correct that PC piracy is rampant, and that is extremely disrespectful to the game companies and developers, but basically the publishers/developers are doing worse to their paying customers while at the same time not even in anyway adversely affecting the pirates and that is just as wrong. Saying things like buy it now and hope that one day they patch it out is definitely going to make things worse for the game buyers in the end. Companies don't care about their customers as long as they are buying their products. They won't change unless it will help them maximize their profits. That is just the way things are. Supporting the publishers with this particular most likely ineffective copy protection is going to only hurt PC gaming not help it because as it is they have removed many reasons and increased the complexity of just getting something to run for the general population to want to game on the PC platform.

On console, buying a game does not effectively lock it to a single user/PC so the option of lending a game to a friend is gone for the most part on PCs. Consoles can rent games, or sell their purchased games when they are done, but for the most part that is no longer an option on the PC. Many of the games are thinking man puzzles to get to work, while not a real problem for many of us, a big deal for most average users. Using and sometimes just having a CD/DVD iso mounting software installed causes games to refuse to work, changing/adding components causes loss of activation you didn't know you could run out of. Adding DRM on top of DRM, on top of DRM in the name of protection. Game software that installs DRM that conflicts with other software from the same game company. Yes that happened to me with DA:O. EA download manager conflicted with DA:O software activation making it impossible for it to be activated within DA:O. I had to manually activate from EA Download manager or it wouldn't go through (try to get support on a problem like that would have support saying "you need to reinstall windows from scratch to fix it"). These are just a few of the problems associated. You think that just having an internet connection and you can play is an easy way to deal with it, but it won't once an average user who's ISP went down or is having modem issues can't play their single player game without getting an OK from some remote server. That will drive them towards the console platform in the best case scenario but as most PC users are very aware of piracy in the worst case it will drive them towards piracy and towards not buying games. The whole just get the crack for the software you bought mentality is just as wrong as piracy because with it you feed the pirates and the crackers whom it's all about their egos. In effect you are supporting them on killing the PC platform.

As far as ME2 goes, I think they got it pretty much right as far as a fair compromise to the whole used games problem they had. I also think they got the (at least for the download version I got from impulse) online activation right, 5/day. They definitely stumbled on the DLC though because it was downloadable instead of installable via the game itself. That will mean the pirates will get their hands on the DLC easier. Where they stumbled the most is disc check based only version. That should no longer exist IMHO. The largest piracy leak for PC games is the Disc Only Version. Once it hits the replicators it's on the net and is being cracked by someone.

So while I do believe some steps are needed to prevent piracy and I have seen them all from code wheels, manual lookup the word on page X, really bad floppy disk checks that would grind and click like it's breaking the drive, etc, there are just some places we should not be forced to compromise on. For me if my ISP is having issues or some hurricane took down the wires and I won't have internet access for a few days should not mean i cannot play the single player games I bought. We as PC gamers have already compromised much for our hobby, no resale, no rentals, no lending to friends, online activations, even activations with limits and hardware lock in, and IMHO that's more than enough. We compromised too much already and now the devs/publishers want more. Find a solution in that set of compromises that are available out there now like EA did with ME2 and DA:O cause I for one am done compromising and won't give up any more.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:52 PM   #54
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

The only real response I have is to the console comparison, to which I will just say give it time. I fully expect consoles to go the account-based Steam-like route in the not too distant future. They already do with the download-only titles, and they already have the means to do so with the retail games (and are flirting with it already with launch dlc codes and such).

As for the rest, just agree to disagree. As long as I can get around DRM I think it is more important to support the developers than to make a stand.

Old 01-28-10, 02:02 PM   #55
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

How stupid. I wonder if pirates will need a constant internet to play it. I'm always online but no ****ing way am I buying a game with that sort of requirement. Even steam games don't need to be constantly online.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 03:46 PM   #56
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Rather stupid idea. It will be cracked for offline play. Some piracy guy would just rent a big server, and put out a patch redirecting it to his server.. it was done in avp2 for the cd key check, when they removed the server that linked up the server browser.

Old 01-28-10, 10:48 PM   #57
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Well, looks like I will be getting more sun. My Dialup sure couldn't stand it.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 01:09 AM   #58
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

Old 04-14-10, 01:28 AM   #59
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
How stupid. I wonder if pirates will need a constant internet to play it. I'm always online but no ****ing way am I buying a game with that sort of requirement. Even steam games don't need to be constantly online.
Sure it does. Try playing Steam games without an internet connection. you can't.

my internet went out one night I couldnt play a damn game on steam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 03:06 AM   #60
candle_86

Send a message via MSN to candle_86 Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
it won't be, if small pieces of games are not on the media (cd/dvd) but instead have to be downloaded from the server straight into secure part of memory, hence never touching the hard drive.
really that data comes into your computer does it not, even if its encrypted how long would it take a dedicated team to copy those packets one by one onto a hard drive then crack the encryption and then release the files? Id say a week tops honestly.
candle_86 is offline   Reply With Quote