Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-10, 01:02 PM   #181
odin20

Default Re: ***Official Mass Effect 2 (PC) Thread***

so you have the steam version?
I keep trying everything and aa simply isnt working ugg, tried ssaa, msaa, super tansparency, nothing works.

Im at the end of my rope and very frustrated.
What nomec post are you talking about btw i looked at all of his and he doesnt say what he did to get aa working nor say if its the steam version...
Arrgh
1k Corsair ps
Gs 1000 case
Extreme 120 push/pull config.
2x MSI 480gtx sli- 815-1630-2000 oc on both.
odin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:13 PM   #182
Destroy

Nice rundown of changes from ME1 to ME2 from guy on Gamespot. Not sure how accurate they are, I don't have the game.

Quote:
-No real inventory. Guns are decided at the start and at gun-racks.
-No item drops via standard method. You can pick up money, ammo and upgrades but they don't go to the "inventory."
-No Mako stuff. You now fire missi--err "probes" at planets to gain minerals.
-No extracurricular ground exploration. Everything is done on specific planets (story-planets and anomalous).
-No different armors as you know them in ME1. Everything is handled by different armor PARTS for shoulderpads, chest, arms, legs, head. You can change colors and patterns on your armor.
-Changeable clothes on Normandy.
-Level-ups RARELY happen during missions, you pretty much auto-level up at the end of each one.
-Skill tree has been scaled down to 5 skills with 4 upgrades each. At the end, you can choose a special characteristic such as Warlord vs. Veteran. Allies get 4 skills with 4 upgrades each (1 locked until requirements fulfilled).

Combat:
-Overheat has been thrown out; you now have ammo.
-Melee has been changed to F and you can shoot at point-blank.
-Multi-type weaponry (pistol vs. Submachine gun, Sniper vs. Multi-shot rifle)
-Heavy Weaponry like grenade launcher, missile launcher, etc.
-Cryo, Incendiary, etc. ammo are handled by level-up skills.
-Life bar replaced by Shield bar which is invisible until you get hurt.
-No self and ally healing. Everything is automatic in terms of recovery except for reviving unconscious allies.
-A lot more cover and STRESS on usage of cover. You can die fast.

Talking:
-More romance options including an easter-egg one.
-Characters have changed since ME1.
-More, new partners and some older ones. Archangel, Miranda and Jacob from the Cell Phone game, etc.
-Your choices from ME1 do matter but most aren't more than letters you get in the mail.
-More talking options.
-Paragon/Renegade and Charm/Intimidate are the same thing and handled almost 100% by talking selections. Some final level skills give Paragon/Renegade bonuses.

Enemies:
-Husks will beat you up now rather than try to blast your shield.
-Enemies are much more diverse and can trick you with weapons.
-Better AI. And much more durability on higher levels.
-Barriers, shields and armor matter now.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:19 PM   #183
nomec

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin20 View Post
so you have the steam version?
I keep trying everything and aa simply isnt working ugg, tried ssaa, msaa, super tansparency, nothing works.

Im at the end of my rope and very frustrated.
What nomec post are you talking about btw i looked at all of his and he doesnt say what he did to get aa working nor say if its the steam version...
Arrgh
You need to create a new profile in nHancer for ME2. Once you do that, you need to add the "masseffect2.exe" to the executables area so that it will recognzie the game. From there, you can choose your AA settings and compatibility mode of choice. Most people are saying 00000045 mode is the best for them (but it isn't for my SLI setup for some reason). You can fiddle with those after, though.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:25 PM   #184
odin20

Yeah ive done this multiple times made my own profile, made the exe-masseffect2.exe etc and i have used all the different aa compatibility's including the one from me1 and the ooooo45 one.
Went and downloaded evga's updated sli/aa patch too and same thing.
Must be a problem with the steam version. Ugg
1k Corsair ps
Gs 1000 case
Extreme 120 push/pull config.
2x MSI 480gtx sli- 815-1630-2000 oc on both.
odin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 01:42 PM   #185
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Started New Game+ and I am thinking I might have to upgrade everything again. If that is the case, that sucks.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 02:07 PM   #186
nomec

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin20 View Post
Yeah ive done this multiple times made my own profile, made the exe-masseffect2.exe etc and i have used all the different aa compatibility's including the one from me1 and the ooooo45 one.
Went and downloaded evga's updated sli/aa patch too and same thing.
Must be a problem with the steam version. Ugg
I have the steam version and it works for me. Reinstall your drivers and try again. Or at least reset all drivers using nHancer so you can start from a clean slate. A good way to tell if the AA is working is if you go based off of the character models, because some edges aren't smoothed up against certain light sources. For a while I thought AA wasn't working because it isn't REALLY noticeable until I turned it off completely and noticed all of the characters had jagged lines on them.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 02:50 PM   #187
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post

-No real inventory. Guns are decided at the start and at gun-racks.
-No item drops via standard method. You can pick up money, ammo and upgrades but they don't go to the "inventory."
-No Mako stuff. You now fire missi--err "probes" at planets to gain minerals.
-No extracurricular ground exploration. Everything is done on specific planets (story-planets and anomalous).
-No different armors as you know them in ME1. Everything is handled by different armor PARTS for shoulderpads, chest, arms, legs, head. You can change colors and patterns on your armor.
-Changeable clothes on Normandy.
-Level-ups RARELY happen during missions, you pretty much auto-level up at the end of each one.
-Skill tree has been scaled down to 5 skills with 4 upgrades each. At the end, you can choose a special characteristic such as Warlord vs. Veteran. Allies get 4 skills with 4 upgrades each (1 locked until requirements fulfilled).

Combat:
-Overheat has been thrown out; you now have ammo.
-Melee has been changed to F and you can shoot at point-blank.
-Multi-type weaponry (pistol vs. Submachine gun, Sniper vs. Multi-shot rifle)
-Heavy Weaponry like grenade launcher, missile launcher, etc.
-Cryo, Incendiary, etc. ammo are handled by level-up skills.
-Life bar replaced by Shield bar which is invisible until you get hurt.
-No self and ally healing. Everything is automatic in terms of recovery except for reviving unconscious allies.
-A lot more cover and STRESS on usage of cover. You can die fast.

Talking:
-More romance options including an easter-egg one.
-Characters have changed since ME1.
-More, new partners and some older ones. Archangel, Miranda and Jacob from the Cell Phone game, etc.
-Your choices from ME1 do matter but most aren't more than letters you get in the mail.
-More talking options.
-Paragon/Renegade and Charm/Intimidate are the same thing and handled almost 100% by talking selections. Some final level skills give Paragon/Renegade bonuses.

Enemies:
-Husks will beat you up now rather than try to blast your shield.
-Enemies are much more diverse and can trick you with weapons.
-Better AI. And much more durability on higher levels.
-Barriers, shields and armor matter now.

Yeah, I loved Mass Effect, but most of these changes make Mass Effect a much better game.

I'm a huge traditional rpg fan but the sheer amount of weapon and item drops and management in the first game was horrible. I also love the fact that weapons have ammo now instead of the over-heat mechanic. Playing on Veteran you really have to manage your ammo, pay attention and pick you shots as opposed to the spray and pray, rinse, repeat of the first game.

Thank god they removed the Mako stuff...it was horrible, time wasting filler that didn't add a single thing to the game. Although one of the first DLC's coming down the road add in a vehicle for those that like it.

The scaled down skill trees seem bad at first, but when you think about the fact that at the end of ME you basically have every skill on every character it made the bigger trees redundant.

Probably one of my favorite things is the point blank shooting. I can't remember how many times I'd try to let someone charge me and take a shotgun blast to the face only to have me melee instead and have to run backwards to get a shot off.

All in all, as someone who usually hates "streamlining" of games, I think Mass Effect 2 is much better all around game than the first because of the changes. All the review scores are accurate IMO and the game is easily better than the first.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 02:52 PM   #188
HiCZoK4

I am just thinkink of trying other aa modes for ME1. Becouse aa from nvcp makes it like 30fps drop (even 2xaa)
Newest nhancer is 2.5.7?
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-10, 03:00 PM   #189
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
I am just thinkink of trying other aa modes for ME1. Becouse aa from nvcp makes it like 30fps drop (even 2xaa)
Newest nhancer is 2.5.7?
Yep, that's it.

Did you try using the pre-made profile that I posted a few posts ago? It seems to work great for me with SLI and AA.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 03:04 PM   #190
HiCZoK4

I will try setting things up myself. Its not first time I am using nhancer. Dunno why becouse its greatest app ever
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 03:22 PM   #191
Destroy

Is there any squad tactics or command management during battle needed in this game? I should reinstall ME1 cause I have very little memory how the squad/strategy stuff played out.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-10, 03:56 PM   #192
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
I have the steam version and it works for me. Reinstall your drivers and try again. Or at least reset all drivers using nHancer so you can start from a clean slate. A good way to tell if the AA is working is if you go based off of the character models, because some edges aren't smoothed up against certain light sources. For a while I thought AA wasn't working because it isn't REALLY noticeable until I turned it off completely and noticed all of the characters had jagged lines on them.
Exactly.

Using the 08-whatever profile with 2x2 supersampling you remove all jaggies AND shimmering and the game still runs well even on my single card. It shouldn't matter which version you have.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote