Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-10, 01:40 PM   #217
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: ***Official Mass Effect 2 (PC) Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
what is it with these games and unskippable intros. even bfbc2 has a stupid delay.
Some games load while the vid is playing. Other games do it just be be annoying.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 02:51 PM   #218
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
What performance do you get with SLI set to single?

I'm always confused, but is SLI-AA an option if you're using single? If single performance is good, maybe using SLI-AA would be an option to use both cards in some fashion?
Wholly crap this freaking worked!!!!! (At least I think it is).

I left the AA + HDR compatibility set.

I changed the SLI profile from 4-Way to Single.

Then I set AA to SLI-AA 16x. Made sure Enhanced AA was NOT checked, Gamma Multi- checked, and 16xAF with Vsync.

In the engine-room area of the Normandy where before I was getting 20fps I'm getting 55fps, and the AA looks awesome.

Anyway, if someone else wants to verify I've actually done this and it works, lemme know.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 02:55 PM   #219
wysiwyg

just got the game, almost didnt as i found the 1st a bit tedious

but, wow they have improved it lots. i am now hooked to the story. still looks decent too for the UE3 engine and there is more action it seems

also the normandy 2 feels so futuristic, love exploring it

but i get random crashes now and then (appcrash), and unskippable movies IS annoying

i didnt like Dragon age much also found it boring and tedious but am hooked now in this ME2 for now
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:03 PM   #220
nomec

Quote:
Wholly crap this freaking worked!!!!! (At least I think it is).

I left the AA + HDR compatibility set.

I changed the SLI profile from 4-Way to Single.

Then I set AA to SLI-AA 16x. Made sure Enhanced AA was NOT checked, Gamma Multi- checked, and 16xAF with Vsync.

In the engine-room area of the Normandy where before I was getting 20fps I'm getting 55fps, and the AA looks awesome.

Anyway, if someone else wants to verify I've actually done this and it works, lemme know.
I don't think you figured out anything different than I did. I turned it to Single mode SLI as well and I had no problems too. But this essentially turns SLI off. That's why Single mode SLI and AA works because the game thinks SLI is turned off. You won't get the same performance as you would with 4-Way AFR.

Also, it looks like someone with dual GTX 295's is having our same issue and made a post about it on Bioware's forums.

http://http://social.bioware.com/for...index/794733/2

He did extensive testing as I did and reported it on there. Also, he seems to think it's an issue with dynamic shadows screwing with the game with SLI and AA on. I imagine this will be fixed. I mean they fixed the SLI issues in the citadel in the first game, so I hope they fix this.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:41 PM   #221
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Just got my copy of this in the mail from WalMart.com.

Won't be starting it until after I finish Dragon Age though.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 05:24 PM   #222
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
I don't think you figured out anything different than I did. I turned it to Single mode SLI as well and I had no problems too. But this essentially turns SLI off. That's why Single mode SLI and AA works because the game thinks SLI is turned off. You won't get the same performance as you would with 4-Way AFR.
I didn't figure out a solution as much as a compromise. Instead of using both my cards to render, I'm rendering with a single and using the additional for an insane level of AA. I'm already getting 60fps almost constant, so for me all I want is to see both my cards doing something... not sure if you saw, but I'm using SLI-AA, not regular AA. I'm running it at 16xSLI-AA which I think is pretty significant. I could even try 32xSLI-AA maybe... though 16x is pretty damn good.

Anyway, I was pretty happy and I don't care about a solution now. 60fps, 16xSLI-AA, 16xAF, VSync On... not sure how getting a proper SLI fix would make the game any better. Why not give this a try? At least you're putting both cards to good use.
Old 01-29-10, 05:57 PM   #223
nomec

Quote:
I didn't figure out a solution as much as a compromise. Instead of using both my cards to render, I'm rendering with a single and using the additional for an insane level of AA. I'm already getting 60fps almost constant, so for me all I want is to see both my cards doing something... not sure if you saw, but I'm using SLI-AA, not regular AA. I'm running it at 16xSLI-AA which I think is pretty significant. I could even try 32xSLI-AA maybe... though 16x is pretty damn good.

Anyway, I was pretty happy and I don't care about a solution now. 60fps, 16xSLI-AA, 16xAF, VSync On... not sure how getting a proper SLI fix would make the game any better. Why not give this a try? At least you're putting both cards to good use.
Yeah, I may do so until they come out with a fix if at all. By the way, if I do single mode SLI can and I just do normal AA, will this make my second card render the AA? I don't know much about SLI AA or Single mode SLI and how it works between two cards. I know single mode SLI basically uses one card and some stuff is rendered on the 2nd, but not sure whether or not if you turn on AA it makes the other card do it.
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 05:59 PM   #224
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

So much better than ME1
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-10, 06:18 PM   #225
|MaguS|

Quote:

gonna try your solution, I got some insane artifacts in the citadel when running SLI+AA.
Old 01-29-10, 06:20 PM   #226
Destroy

Is there anyone that tried it and doesn't care for this game?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:30 PM   #227
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathemetal View Post
So much better than ME1
I was going to try and finish ME1 but I might just say hell with it and get ME2.
Old 01-29-10, 06:33 PM   #228
Kaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
Yeah, I may do so until they come out with a fix if at all. By the way, if I do single mode SLI can and I just do normal AA, will this make my second card render the AA? I don't know much about SLI AA or Single mode SLI and how it works between two cards. I know single mode SLI basically uses one card and some stuff is rendered on the 2nd, but not sure whether or not if you turn on AA it makes the other card do it.
I'm no expert, but I think if you go single and regular AA it will render everything on the single card. SLI-AA is supposed to be a 'solution' to older games that cannot utilize SLI but still make use of both cards. If you use nHancer in the AA section, click SLI in the left column and then an SLI-AA option. 8xSLI-AA is the lowest you can go.