Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-10, 12:47 AM   #241
logan

Default Re: ***Official Mass Effect 2 (PC) Thread***

I just finished the game and I'm pretty sure I only missed a few minor side quests, like *minor spoilers* delivering packages, something about cooking fish, and securing a passport for two women. I enjoyed all of the quests I did, but my favorites were the character quests. They were all so varied and interesting and really provided alot of background. I thought the new characters were great. The character interactions are and have always been my favorite part of Mass Effect. I've seen some of the laundry lists of changes between ME1 and 2 that people have been posting, but I really didn't notice much... Mostly the Mako and the new ammo system. I didn't miss the slow going with the Mako at all. I'd much rather be exploring on foot than driving around large wastelands with very little to see and do between locations. There were a few times I was struggling with ammo, but I always made it through. It sounds like this becomes more of an issue on higher difficulties, but I had a hard enough time with the normal difficulty so I don't think I'll be changing that. :P The mining became slightly tedious after a while, but I thought it was a good way to unwind after rough missions and it's definitely worth spending 5-15 minutes hitting a few planets in the main systems for the upgrades. It certainly felt like Mass Effect to me and I thought it was more polished than ME1. I really enjoyed the last part of the game, it was fast paced but still manageable. I had a few problems running the game under wine, but all that aside I had a great time from start to finish.

I initially had some problems getting ME2 to find my ME1 saves and ended up playing with the default female character, but it looks like I should be ok after moving them to the Mass Effect 2\BioGame\Save\ME1 directory. I look forward to playing again with my decisions from part 1 and not the defaults (which had a few major differences).

I really screwed up with Miranda when it came to Jack. I was never able to repair the relationship and I'm guessing I missed out on quite a bit. Things were going so well too.. That's one thing I'll do differently the next time I play. Also, Tali's mission (and my choice of how to end it) really bummed me out. :/

Last edited by logan; 02-05-10 at 07:30 PM.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 01:52 AM   #242
Viral
Registered User of Women

Got the retail game, no differences besides the extra downloadable content. Glad to have payed for it though. Saves transferred flawlessly and SSAA still works with a renamed .exe. No problems with intrusive DRM so far, just that it seems to have to log into the cerberus network before I can play.... so this means I can't play unless I'm online?

The textures I complained about earlier seem to vary. The N7 logo was only bad with the capacitor chest plate viewed up fairly close (ironically the one that had the logo the smallest?...) most other body/clothing/armour textures are good to average, while some minor characters have some pretty horridly low res ones, disappointing but acceptable. The only textures I'd consider great are those on the faces, top work there. The facial animations are pretty good besides eyelids sometimes looking like they're a bit flipped over or something.

The characters are a lot better than those in the first (from the few hours I played of ME1). I like Thane the best.

Logan, I think I'm on the right track with Miranda while confusing Jack at the same time by making her actually have feelings for me lol. She asked if it was just sex a while ago and I went with the option of saying I want to get to know her. When the two of them had an argument I just told them both to shutup and didn't take sides. Anyway Miranda says she will meet me in my room when things are quiet but I don't know when that's supposed to be... lol

I'm a bit over halfway up the renegade side and 1/3rd up the Paragon. I tend to be brutal with people on missions but mainly kind to my crew but sometimes being a bit blunt with them. Although I seem to make quite a few paragon decisions on the character missions (right click mouse when prompted), but at the end I usually still let them kill whoever they are after.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 02:14 AM   #243
Viral
Registered User of Women

Just a point of interest for anyone who hasn't seen this, I'm just about to do the mission for Tali and got this in the loading screen:

The decisions you make in Mass Effect 2 could have drastic ramifications in Mass Effect 3

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Old 01-30-10, 02:19 AM   #244
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Yes. Bioware made it clear actions in Mass Effect 2 will play an even larger part in Mass Erect 3 than those from Mass Effect 1 did in Mass Erect 2.

Know what I mean?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 08:27 AM   #245
weevil

An hour in, absolutely amazing and even better than I'd expected. No gripes so far, you are in the movie in this one and the Normandy is glorious. It's an RPG for me and then some. Much better than ME is ME2 for me, astonishing in places are the characters and the character interaction. Missing the VTOL buggy mind

Not sure if I should start doing side-quests yet because the story draws you in with some immediacy. Must do some off-planet mining and wotnot next though, can't hurry this one

Btw the 'download an ME Shepard' thing works fine if like me you didn't keep a final save

Please spoilers, set your spoiler text to the background colour or something. Make an effort
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 09:00 AM   #246
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Finished everything you could do on Omega and taking my time exploring the systems around it... love this game, love everything about it. With SSAA I would even say it is one of the best looking games ever released.

Happy Narcissist.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 09:02 AM   #247
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Yes. Bioware made it clear actions in Mass Effect 2 will play an even larger part in Mass Erect 3 than those from Mass Effect 1 did in Mass Erect 2.

Know what I mean?
Yes, and I'm sure in Mass Erect 9 you will be able to respond to the messages about penis enlargement.

Finished the game. Made it with Miranda... oh, and killed some of those collector things too, as if that was the point of the game.... A little too short for my liking, but was still very good. The ending was far too easy, as was most of the game. Guess I'll have to replay on hard with a different approach to my character.

Old 01-30-10, 09:33 AM   #248
nomec

Well, rather than talking about SLI issues I have an actual game question. When I did one of the first missions at the Omega district I bought a few items from shops. Umm, where do these items go? I know for a fact I bought something for Shephards quarters, but how do I put them in there or even look at what I bought?
nomec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-10, 10:45 AM   #249
odin20

they will be in the mail usually.
1k Corsair ps
Gs 1000 case
Extreme 120 push/pull config.
2x MSI 480gtx sli- 815-1630-2000 oc on both.
odin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 11:38 AM   #250
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomec View Post
Well, rather than talking about SLI issues I have an actual game question. When I did one of the first missions at the Omega district I bought a few items from shops. Umm, where do these items go? I know for a fact I bought something for Shephards quarters, but how do I put them in there or even look at what I bought?
Some things you buy are tech upgrades which work without doing anything, some are new armor parts or add-ons that need equipped in the armor menu. The decorative ones you hint at are in Shephards quarters, the fish and hamster and the ship models and such.

The game is actually a lot more of an RPG than I first thought, given the armor pieces. It has like 5 or 6 different areas like shoulders, legs and helmet and you can find some nifty upgrades for all of them. I have the cool looking eyepiece on that increases headshot damage at the moment, as well as a quick shield recharge outfit.

I like scanning planets, I actually have a ton of resources and am waiting to find more research plans!
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 12:19 PM   #251
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

will those ship upgrades, shields, armor, guns actually be usefull?
Old 01-30-10, 12:33 PM   #252
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I must say that end mission reports are annoying