Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-10, 02:31 PM   #1
jachryan13

Default Install dual NVidia 8600 GT cards in Ubuntu 9.04

All,

I'll try to be thorough, yet concise, in describing this problem.

1) I'm installing Ubuntu 9.04 on a machine.
2) It has dual nVidia 8600 GT cards.
3) Upon installation, Ubuntu recognizes the first of the two cards and the monitors attached to it.
4) the hardware manager detects that the second card is there, but does not allow me to work with it in the display preferences.

The problem really is getting the second card detected and set so that I can work with it. After much searching, several solutions directed me to either (A) install the nvidia linux packages through Add/Remove or through Synpatic package manager, or (B) install the binary drivers downloaded from the nVidia site using the following commands -

cd ~/Desktop
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential gcc gcc-3.4 xserver-xorg-dev
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
sudo rm /etc/init.d/nvidia-*
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

NEITHER of these actions worked. Option (A) installs, but doesn't allow Xserver to start on reload. Option (B) encounters an error during installation after being unable to download the proper kernel from the nVidia website.

Any thoughts? This system runs fine in Windows XP with four Dell 5100 MP projectors. We're trying to install Ubuntu on the system for another project, but are running into the roadblock.

Thanks,
-J
jachryan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 02:51 PM   #2
twistx

Default Re: Install dual NVidia 8600 GT cards in Ubuntu 9.04

please run nvida-bug-report.sh in a terminal and attach the gzip to this forum. its impossible to determine what your problem is without logs.
twistx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-10, 03:38 PM   #3
shadowhawk_cgb

hi,

for your Option B:

Have you tried to compile the kernel-module yourself during the installation? Because if you have a custom kernel there will be no module to download.
So instead to say "yes" download the fitting kernel module choose "no" to compile it yourself.

Hth
shadowhawk_cgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 12:40 PM   #4
jachryan13

@shadowhawk : I tried selecting that option during install process for the nvidia drivers, to no avail.

@twistx : I uploaded the bug report as you asked, but to save you time, it informs me that no nvidia drivers ae installed, which is at the root of the problem. I didn't install the nVidia drivers because after doing so, it throws me into command line after reboot because the Xserver won't reboot. If there's a way to get the Xserver to reboot and get me back to my desktop, that might suffice. All I know is that every nVidia install process I've tried has either not worked or caused different issues that I couldn't solve.

Also, as added info, I went and found the log file from the install process I last tried with the binary and have attached it as well.

If there are any more logs I should post, please let me know and I'll add them here. I wasn't sure which ones would be useful when i originally posted this.
Attached Files
File Type: gz bugReport.gz (197 Bytes, 76 views)
File Type: gz nvidiInstallerLog.gz (1.2 KB, 75 views)
jachryan13 is offline   Reply With Quote