Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-10, 10:20 AM   #1
NrthnStar5

Default Looking for advice on best CPU/Mobo Combo

Hello!

I currently have an Intel Q9550 with an Asus P5Q-E mobo. I have recently come into possession of an AMD Phenom II 965 BE processer with an Asus M4N78 PRO mobo.

I need to sell one set or the other, but I am trying to determine which would be the best set to keep. I am already capable of OC'ing the intel to 3.40 ghz, but I have not OC'd the Phenom II.

I am looking for advice on which combo is overall the best simply based on the CPU and Mobo Combination above. I appreciate any responses!
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:21 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Looking for advice on best CPU/Mobo Combo

Without pulling a bunch of benchmarks off the net, it's my understanding (been researching the AMD quads for a while now) they would be pretty evenly matched with the AMD pulling off a few wins. users real world experience here amy speak a differently though.

That said, if you decide to part with either I'd be interested in knowing what you'll be asking for the C2Q (already have a good board) or the AMD quad + board.
Old 01-29-10, 11:34 AM   #3
NrthnStar5

I kind of assumed that the cpu's were pretty comparable, but I don't know the OC potential of the AMD yet. I also don't know which MOBO should be better... I'm having a hard time deciding lol
Old 01-29-10, 12:47 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthnStar5 View Post
I kind of assumed that the cpu's were pretty comparable, but I don't know the OC potential of the AMD yet. I also don't know which MOBO should be better... I'm having a hard time deciding lol
Which is exactly why I've been "researching" so long lol.

I'm seeing pretty consistent reports of 3.8-4Ghz on the 965. Coupled with the usual 'ymmv' factor, gamers are reporting that the 965 feels as fast or faster than the Q9550 in gaming, while video encoding etc goes to intel, as usual.

I would actually be happy with either, but the 965 has the added benefit of DDR3 compatibilty which has dropped in price plenty.

Personally after everything I've read I would go with the AMD. You won't have any trouble selling that Q9550, so it would be win win for you.

EDIT: good thread here to read.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142752
Old 01-29-10, 01:04 PM   #5
Redeemed

Yeah- both setups would be insanely fast. I honestly don't think you'll see that tangible a difference with either setup. Where the Q9550 might be faster than the 965 BE, there will be just as many scenerios where the 965 BE is faster than theQ9550.

However, AM3 has a much greater future for upgrades than LGA775. LGA775 is a dead platform- and by that I mean Intel is not releasing any more LGA775 CPUs.

AMD, however, is going to continue to release AM3 CPUs... and their 6-core and even 8-core ( I think through to 12-core, i.e. Magny-Cours) will be available on AM3... or at least from the roadmaps I've seen they will be. Granted, a lot of those chips are a ways off so for whatever reason that could change. However, their 6 core parts *will* be released on AM3... that much is certain.

Honestly, and just due to the upgradability of the platform- I'd sell the Q9550 + mobo and keep the AMD setup. Long-term it just makes sense.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 01:49 PM   #6
NrthnStar5

Thank you guys for the responses! What are your thoughts on the AM3 Mobo? Do you think it's decent enough for the time being?
Old 01-29-10, 02:31 PM   #7
Redeemed

Quote:
Thank you guys for the responses! What are your thoughts on the AM3 Mobo? Do you think it's decent enough for the time being?
AM3 mobo? What AM3 mobo? Are you referring to the one that you currently have with your 965 BE... cause that's not an AM3 mobo. It's an AM2+/AM3 mobo... which still uses DDR2.

AM3 mobos use only DDR3. If you are wondering how good the current AM3 mobos are, of course it varies which one(s) you're interested in- but for the most part I've heard nothing but praise for the vast majority. When it comes to price/performance AMD is definitely dominating right now. Their chipsets, CPUs, and video cards just own for the dollars you pay.
Old 01-29-10, 02:46 PM   #8
grey_1

'bout time you got in here with some advice 'Deemed.

Old 01-29-10, 02:53 PM   #9
NrthnStar5

Sorry, your right. Is the Asus M4N78 PRO worth keeping with this processor or not so much? I know it's been said the AMD cpu is more "future minded" then the intel one, but what about the Mobo I have with it?
Old 01-29-10, 03:10 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
'bout time you got in here with some advice 'Deemed.

It was only a matter of time till I ended up here, wasn't it?

Quote:
Sorry, your right. Is the Asus M4N78 PRO worth keeping with this processor or not so much? I know it's been said the AMD cpu is more "future minded" then the intel one, but what about the Mobo I have with it?
Six and one half dozen to be honest. You already have DDR2 RAM- why not keep the mobo? Because if you got an AM3 mobo you'd then have to buy DDR3 RAM. So post-pone that upgrade for later. Rock that 965 BE, that mobo, and your current RAM. Sell that Q9550 + P5Q-E and pay off some debt, have plenty of money for gas, etc.

I'd wait till more mobos with SATA 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0 come out. That'd be a good time to do such an upgrade. I think they'll be more available later this year... like the 2nd half if I recall correctly.

Gigabyte has one out now but I've learned my lesson when it comes to being an early adopter- my advice is to wait till they're a bit more common. Should be 2nd half of this year, if not earlier. I know both AMD and Intel are gearing up to release their 6-core chips. That's probably when we'll see the new mobos with SATA 6.0Gbps and USB 3.0. That'd be the time to invest in a new motherboard and DDR3. IMO of course.
Old 01-29-10, 03:15 PM   #11
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

I'd go with the AMD chip. To me at least, in general usage the AMD chips "feel" faster than the intel 775 quads. This most likely has to do with the onboard memory controller.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 03:19 PM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I'd go with the AMD chip. To me at least, in general usage the AMD chips "feel" faster than the intel 775 quads. This most likely has to do with the onboard memory controller.
Not necessarily.

At the desktop, switching between apps, etc- this i7 920 doesn't seem the least bit faster than my Phenom 9600 BE when I had. In fact, the Phenom seemed "smoother" when doing that sort of stuff. So who knows what the reason for that is. Could be any number of things... including placebo.