Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-10, 12:47 PM   #1
bacon12

Default PS3 has been finally cracked.

Quote:
"I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor," Hotz wrote on his blog. "In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip."

"3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system," he added.

It took Hotz himself five weeks to crack the PS3, which he documented on his blog. And though he hasn't revealed what the news could mean in terms of exploits, it sounds like there is definitely something that will be announced soon.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ets-hacked.ars

Looks like it will be all soft mods as well? Wonder when we will see cracked PS3 titles?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 01:23 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: PS3 has been finally cracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...ets-hacked.ars

Looks like it will be all soft mods as well? Wonder when we will see cracked PS3 titles?
Actually according to other Tech Guys (Beyond3D and Digital Foundry Guys) he hasn't cracked it fully to where its usuable, all he has done is gain access to the RAM and Hypervisor but the key and system is still locked down. He hasn't even demostrated the ability to run a "hello world" app which is usually a demostration of running unsigned code.

Nice read,
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=56284
Old 01-31-10, 01:46 PM   #3
HiCZoK4

So Me and Jonelo can finally buy this and enjoy ?!
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 01:56 PM   #4
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

By the time he cracks it, you will be pirating Xbox1080 games HiC.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:07 PM   #5
HiCZoK4

;/ someone pm me link to torrent sites with bluray images of ps3 games. I will start downloading. in 10 years. I will be prepared with thousands of gigs of games
Old 01-31-10, 03:34 PM   #6
Albo

He released what his exploit was. On his blog. It something about memory, I didn't understand a word of it.
http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/0...r-platter.html
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 04:27 PM   #7
ViN86

While I really don't care about pirating games, this opens up a lot of possibilities for the device. Especially on the PS3 which has so much potential for tasks besides gaming.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 12:06 PM   #8
Scendore

Cool... We can look forward to more DRM schemes and higher priced titles... While I understand the counter balance point of view it's a bit out of wack in the PC world.
Scendore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-10, 12:44 PM   #9
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit View Post
Even if the PS3 is cracked the same way that the 360 has been, most people don't even have bluray burners...which means there isn't much a way to burn your h@xx0r3d games to a medium anyways.

Sony's done a good job protecting their platform, have to give them credit for that.
If they do really do crack it then I imagine there will be a way to mount s blu ray iso in a virtual drive maybe. I just really think its interesting how secure this platform really was, and how long it took to get access to things most devices would have given up long ago.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 01:31 PM   #10
HiCZoK4

Its simple. If cracking ps3 will get common. Then everyone(yay Pirates) will want bluray recorder. Discs arent that expensivbe already. And bluray recoreder is somewhat still cheaper than dvd burners were back ni years.

but the real solution is. DOWNLOADING houndreds of gigs. But guess crackers will shrink games somehow
Old 02-01-10, 03:01 PM   #11
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post

but the real solution is. DOWNLOADING houndreds of gigs. But guess crackers will shrink games somehow
usenet. People download 1080 rips of Blu Ray movies now that are huge at their ISPs cap. I doubt a ps3 game is even close to filling a BR disc, I think they did it more for the security of the medium.

The size isn't going to stop them.

The burner is only $180 now - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136176
25GB Media is relatively cheap now too $3/disc - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817607024

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 04:59 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Sigh. The ps3 has not been cracked. Read the thread I posted. Yes he has by passed some of the security but not all of it so piracy is not possible as of now. Could his exploit be used to open the ps3 to piracy? Probably but at this time it has not even been shown that he has gained the abilty to load unsigned code. That's not even the full issue either since to load a game he needs access to the encryption key which is issolated from the ram and hypervisor aswell as it's updated every year or so or whenever they choose with a firmware update.

This whole thing is getting out of control and alot of misinformation is being spread regarding this. He made alot of claims in an interview that doesn't make sense, like stating he can enable PS2 BC for newer models even though newer systems lack the hardware. Oh and he claims he did this on an old fat model with an old firmware and that it "should" work with newer models on new firmwares. So he doesn't know if Sony already fixed the exploit to make it alot tougher to take advantage of.