Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-10, 04:12 PM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: PS3 has been finally cracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Sigh. The ps3 has not been cracked. Read the thread I posted. Yes he has by passed some of the security but not all of it so piracy is not possible as of now. Could his exploit be used to open the ps3 to piracy? Probably but at this time it has not even been shown that he has gained the abilty to load unsigned code. That's not even the full issue either since to load a game he needs access to the encryption key which is issolated from the ram and hypervisor aswell as it's updated every year or so or whenever they choose with a firmware update.

This whole thing is getting out of control and alot of misinformation is being spread regarding this. He made alot of claims in an interview that doesn't make sense, like stating he can enable PS2 BC for newer models even though newer systems lack the hardware. Oh and he claims he did this on an old fat model with an old firmware and that it "should" work with newer models on new firmwares. So he doesn't know if Sony already fixed the exploit to make it alot tougher to take advantage of.
He admitted it wasn't really cracked. But memory addresses to read/write to are on the right path.

The encryption keys aren't really necessary. The PSP has been cracked but no one knows its keys. Also, if he can gain control of the output from the SPU that does encryption and decryption he won't even need the key.

This article is the best overview:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...hacked-article

From the article:

Quote:
According to his latest blog post, Hotz sees the reserved SPU with its precious cache of decryption keys as his primary target now. "Some people pointed out that I have not accessed the isolated SPEs," he wrote on his blog. "This is true. Although as far as doing anything with the system, it doesn't matter. The PPE can't read the isolated data, but it can kick the isolated SPEs out. Decrypt the PPE binary you need using the intact SPE and save the decrypted version. Kick out the SPE, and patch the decrypted version all you want."

In short he's looking to the use the processor core (the PPE) where he does have access to emulate the isolated SPU (for those interested, strictly speaking, the "SPE" is the name given to the group of all the SPUs). Holding him back - for now - is Hotz's contention that the PowerPC implementation of C++ is being used at this level, and it's somewhat removed from the ARM coding he is used to when hacking mobile devices like the iPhone.
So he could emulate the master keys. If so, Sony (if they can) could change the keys all they want and it would have no effect on this workaround.

Even if he does that, if you read the rest of the article you will see that there are still like 3 layers of security he needs to get through and none of them are easy lol. It will be a LONG time before we see pirated PS3 games imo.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 04:27 PM   #14
General Lee

When I buy a bunch of hardware, and it's compliant software, I intend on it doing whatever I pretty much want it to. That's why I only game on PC, which is perfect, because I use it for so much more. When the day comes when I can do pretty much everything I do on a PC on a console, I might consider buying one. Console designers really need to focus on making their systems more flexible to users' needs.
Old 02-01-10, 04:42 PM   #15
|MaguS|

Thing is by using the PPE remove the isolated SPE that should add alot of overhead that could in the long run affect the systems performance due to the PPE doing work it wasn't originally intended to. I don't believe the PS3 also loads games similar to the PSP where it does a simple check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
When I buy a bunch of hardware, and it's compliant software, I intend on it doing whatever I pretty much want it to. That's why I only game on PC, which is perfect, because I use it for so much more. When the day comes when I can do pretty much everything I do on a PC on a console, I might consider buying one. Console designers really need to focus on making their systems more flexible to users' needs.
Yes because we have seen how well the openness and flexibility of the PC Platform has helped game developers... the reason why most game developers are going to the console platform is because its closed and control. They actually make a decent profit from there software.
Old 02-01-10, 06:35 PM   #16
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

actually its pretty easy to play cracked games on ps3. install ubuntu on ps3. Then install windows xp inside ubuntu. then install daemon tools in XP. Then mount the ps3 game iso...and play game in all glory...
Old 02-01-10, 06:43 PM   #17
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
actually its pretty easy to play cracked games on ps3. install ubuntu on ps3. Then install windows xp inside ubuntu. then install daemon tools in XP. Then mount the ps3 game iso...and play game in all glory...
I heard that if you install linux on a PS3, all of the hardware isn't used. Meaning you wouldn't have access to the video card, and the game wouldn't run. But that's on what I read at other places. Maybe they found a way around that.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 06:50 PM   #18
|MaguS|

Quote:
Um no that wouldn't work, nice try.
Old 02-01-10, 09:51 PM   #19
ViN86

Quote:
LOL that'd be funny if that worked. But that doesn't bypass encryption and XP won't run on a PowerPC processor.
Old 02-01-10, 10:19 PM   #20
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
if that was the case shouldnt we be able to play PS3 games emulated on the PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-10, 01:31 AM   #21
HiCZoK4

lol. Instal 2 os on ps3?D THEN INSTALL DAEMON?! I didnt even know its possible!
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 09:10 AM   #22
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL that'd be funny if that worked. But that doesn't bypass encryption and XP won't run on a PowerPC processor.
You can actually install Windows XP on top of Linux and it will run but man its slow.

Old 02-02-10, 09:35 AM   #23
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You can actually install Windows XP on top of Linux and it will run but man its slow.

I meant natively. You can emulate it, but of course it runs like crap
Old 02-02-10, 10:20 AM   #24
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

The ps3 will be cracked when u can burn a blu-ray game and play a copy like on xbox, until that its not really anything sony should worry about.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote