Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-02-02, 04:18 PM   #1
Velkator

Default GF4 Ti 4600, how much heat can it handle? :p

I have a Geforce 4 4600Ti card atm, I've had a few problem's with it working on my computer. Something with the motherboard being too old and the Voltage fluctuating or something (going to get a new computer soon )

In some games I've just been kicked out to desktop with no error messages and computer self-restarting sometimes.
ANYWAY, after the new Detonator drivers, it's been working GREAT on all the game's.

I'm currently using the SmartDoctor2 thingy from ASUS to monitor the graphic card.
Speed of the Core and Memory is at this moment.................:
Core: 279 Mhz
Memory: 651 Mhz

I have it at "Slowest" till I get a new computer to ensure I don't fuuk up the card or something

So to the question I need answered! The temperature of the Chipset is at 69 celsius, the RAM is at 52 celsius.

Isn't 69 celsius a bit high? I know they can take a lot of heat, even heard it could go as high as around 90 or something.
But is it good in the long run? any feedback would be good thank you.

Oh, and the voltage thingy.
Is it correct if the VDDQ Voltage is 1.56?
And the AGP bus Voltage 3.29 and 3.31 (it wanders between those two numbers a lot)

Fan speed is at 4936 to 5037 if it has any importance in this matter

Oh, and btw...LAST question, it doesn't let me speed up the Core and Memory by clicking on a "Faster" option in the ASUS SmartDoctor2 thingy, cause the chipset is already to warm?
Old 09-02-02, 07:09 PM   #2
Phyre

I don't know anything about the voltage stuff, but for temperatures, I generally use this page as a rough guide.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1613&p=16

I've measured the temps of my GPU and memory on my Ti 4200 and have gotten a max of about 70 C (about 158 F) and about 36 C (about 96.8 F), respectively. I also have some of the Tweakmonster heat sinks for my memory. My GPU is at 300 MHz and memory is at 540 MHz.

I've been running fine with this for awhile now. Hopefully that page will give you a good idea of what types of temperatures these GPU's can put out. These things just get hot. That's basically all there is to it.

Phyre
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 05:19 AM   #3
Velkator

Thank you very much for the help

I'll keep that page bookmarked.
After I posted last night I realized that the room was very hot. Right now, at a better(colder then yesterday) room temperature I see it at around 60 to 63 celsius (140f - 144f)

One strange thing tho, I do get a "The VDDQ Voltage is out of safety boundaries........" message now and then, not very often. And it's just for a few seconds. *shrugs*
Old 09-03-02, 11:11 AM   #4
Phyre

Well, I did a quick and nasty search with +geforce +vddq on google, and I found something that might help a little.

Quote:
Question
I have a VGA card with GeForce2 mx400 64MB ,but my MotherBoard is P4 board that only works with a AGP 1.5V card ,Is the card compatible with the MotherBoard?

Answer
1, Such 1.5V, 3.3V are not core voltage, but VDDQ (a kind of control voltage); AGP 2X card uses 3.3V VDDQ, while AGP 4X uses 1.5V VDDQ.
2, The AGP slot (compliant with AGP V1.0) supports 3.3V AGP card; while the AGP slot (compliant with AGP V2.0) supports 1.5V AGP card.
3, For new motherboard, the AGP slot complies with AGP V2.0, that is,it offers compatibility with AGP 2X and AGP 4X cards. But for the present P4 board, it only provides 1.5V. When using AGP 2X card (3.3V VDDQ), the board or card will be damaged. When using AGP 4Xcard (1.5V) or certain AGP 2X card (with adjusted circuitry) such as our PV-S03 card, it will operate normally.
4, TNT2 family, GeForce family, SiS 315 etc. VGA card are all AGP 4X card, so they all can work smoothly on P4 board.
The one in bold is what we're concerned about. AGP 4X is using a VDDQ of 1.5 V. Which software are you running that monitors this voltage? It could be that the the high warning for this voltage could be set at 1.55 V, and the 1.56 V is probably triggering the message. You may want to look for the configuration and set the high level warning for VDDQ to something like 1.57 or 1.58 V. But, I don't think you have anything to worry about with it being 1.56 V.

Phyre

URL for the information:
http://www.pine-support.com/scripts/...dia_020006.htm
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 04:41 PM   #5
HotCarl

First things first. All the software in the world is not going to give you accurate numbers since the thermistors(temperature probes) built into the chips all have 'error' in them. The only accurate way to get a reading is to use some form of external measuring probe. That's why the folks at Anandtech in the link above used an InfraRed temperature probe.

Now, when is hot = too hot? When the GPU gets too hot it will cause various geometry in a game to 'pop' into incorrect shapes and colors. Lockups are not too uncommon either. When video RAM gets too hot it causes colorful, sparkling pixels all over your screen. All this heat is only going to be generated when the card is taxed so don't expect problems to occur at the desktop.

As your card is running in AGP 4x mode, I will assume that the AGP port is 2.0 compliant. No problems there. You will always observe fluctuations in the voltage supplies as the loading on the main power supply changes. Yours changing from 1.54 to 1.56 and 3.29 to 3.31 is well within the norm. If you have a power supply that is insufficient for the load produced by all your devices(70% of the Supply's max output is the safe, constant load for it), it will overheat and provide less than acceptable voltages and stability.

Get good airflow thru your computer's case. You don't feel cool on a hot day and neither does it!

As for overclocking, try RivaTuner or any of the GeForce type tuners. Check www.guru3d.com for a few popular ones. Oh yeah, overclocking consumes more current and produces more heat.

Enjoy!
HotCarl is offline   Reply With Quote