Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-10, 10:42 PM   #37
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: ***Official BioShock 2 (PC) Feedback Thread***

SSAA was causing my issue with 1600x1200, but 4xMSAA looks just as nice.

EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-10-10, 12:55 AM   #38
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilk View Post
Fix'ed.
That's probably pretty accurate.

I have a weird thing to report... I tried forcing dx9 using the normal "-dx9" extension to the shortcut and BOOM it like blew my computer up. Tons of insane artifacts and then freeze. Happens everytime I load with dx9 forced, runs perfectly everytime I load with normal dx10. WTF?

Also turning off v-synch seems to solve some of the massive frame drops, but the game is still not at all what I would call smooth.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 01:17 AM   #39
trivium nate

I'm probably going to be getting this this thursday
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 01:27 AM   #40
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Have this installed 100% but no time to play. the journey begins tomorrow.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 01:32 AM   #41
trivium nate

HaHa nice

edit: if I get this it will game number 115 wow
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 01:40 AM   #42
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I just started Mass Erect 2. I wont have time for this for ages. (Still gotta replay Bioshock 1 first). Can't wait though. Nice shots solareagle.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 01:54 AM   #43
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
A few beefs with the game.

1. Why do I get bashed by splicers and killed? I don't feel as powerful as a big daddy from Bioshock 1.
Learn how to melee honestly, this was my biggest saving grace. I felt the same way as you until I started kicking ass with my melee's. I don't use anything but my melee/drill attacks now, alongside my plasmids.

Quote:
2. Every bad guy has guns. What happened to wrenches?? again, you just dont feel as powerful
Learn how to use your plasmids and drill/charge them. There is a fine balance but once you get it, you can easily take out 10-15 enemies without breaking a sweat.

Quote:
3. I'm always outta eve, drill fuel, ammo,etc.
Hack the machines. They usually drop extra stuff and you gain extra stuff from other items. I have been cleaning out entire levels and making sure I am upgrading my plasmids and tonics. It was a little tough at first but now I am a lumbering tank and don't use up too much eve on attacks

Quote:
4. I never have enough money
I would suggest exploring as much as possible. I keep running out of wallet space personally, but mainly because I explore EVERYTHING

Quote:
5. As big daddy you are a lumbering, sluggish hulk

Its hard to do anything without getting killed. Theres not enough of the things you need to survive and you are slow. Been playing about an hour today I love the hacking/remote hacking though.
There is a tonic which speeds you up. Once you get it, you'll probably feel better.

With regards to the hacking, while I appreciate the way it works, I can't believe the colors they chose.

****IN A 2K GAMES, I am COLOR BLIND, I can't tell the ****ing difference between the reds and greens when I am hacking the ****

Who the **** comes up with these colors anyways?

My only peeve with the game right now is the colors for the stupid hacks. Blue's are fine but the greens and reds are too close together for me to tell apart

-edit-

Btw, the FOV, while not terrible, is still jacked up. Do none of these game designers use regular 16:10 widescreens?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 02:12 AM   #44
DansFace

UGH I keep trying to "pause" the game to change my plasmids and guns!
CURSE YOU ME2

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-10, 03:50 AM   #45
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
Have this installed 100% but no time to play. the journey begins tomorrow.
Me too . Finished DLing at like 2 this morning, too late for gaming. I'll be all over it after work tho

@Saz; I bet if you contacted them they could knock you up a patch to change the colour in 5 mins. It's worth a go

@Silly; cheers for the shots
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 05:43 AM   #46
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Started it, seems quite good. The combat I think is better. Much quicker, much more natural. Also the buttons for the keyboard / mouse setup in general appear to have been thought of pretty well for combat situations.

Lots of audio logs to listen too and little side rooms to explore. Hacking is very basic now, basically a single arrow that you press a button when it hits green. This is realtime though so during combat you need to be quick. And you can remote hack objects from a distance with a gun which could be used really cleverly if they decide to later.

They don't mess about getting you into the action. And not long after that you get shown what I consider more tutorial kind of stuff which seems a bit backwards.

Graphically it does look pretty much the same as the first game. It does still seem to have the horrid 30fps animation system, knock a basket and it jitters away. I do like the little touches though, like water droplets making a noise on your metal helmet or the ting sounds when bullets hit it. Bigger FOV would be nice if only to see more of the world.
Old 02-10-10, 07:07 AM   #47
josiahsuarez

my opinions are mixed. it definitely doesn't feel as epic as the first game, more like an expansion pack of new levels really. combat feels different, but considering you're a big daddy instead of a normal human this time it's actually not all that different at all. electro shock/drill combos are really all you need. if you hack everything you'll never be wanting for items or cash. just be sure to get the bonus for stopping on the little blue section. the one big sister fight I've had so far was pretty tough, but big daddys are relatively easy.

a few little things from the first game are improved, but basically it's the same UE3 engine you've seen a million times before. it's retro in more ways than one. the old flapper music is very appropriate considering the ancient technology being used here. you really do get a sense of being transported back in time to an earlier era.

one peculiar thing I noticed is that some of the video screens in rapture are showing video with what appears to be film scratches on it. even though they are apparently CRT screens with no projectors visible. so if the video isn't projected from film, why are there film scratches visible? I'm really nitpicking here, but there really isn't a need to add superfluous vintage graphical artifacts when the prehistoric UE3 engine provides all the retro charm you could ever wish for.
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 08:48 AM   #48
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Learn how to melee honestly, this was my biggest saving grace. I felt the same way as you until I started kicking ass with my melee's. I don't use anything but my melee/drill attacks now, alongside my plasmids.

Learn how to use your plasmids and drill/charge them. There is a fine balance but once you get it, you can easily take out 10-15 enemies without breaking a sweat.

Hack the machines. They usually drop extra stuff and you gain extra stuff from other items. I have been cleaning out entire levels and making sure I am upgrading my plasmids and tonics. It was a little tough at first but now I am a lumbering tank and don't use up too much eve on attacks

I would suggest exploring as much as possible. I keep running out of wallet space personally, but mainly because I explore EVERYTHING

There is a tonic which speeds you up. Once you get it, you'll probably feel better.

With regards to the hacking, while I appreciate the way it works, I can't believe the colors they chose.

****IN A 2K GAMES, I am COLOR BLIND, I can't tell the ****ing difference between the reds and greens when I am hacking the ****

Who the **** comes up with these colors anyways?

My only peeve with the game right now is the colors for the stupid hacks. Blue's are fine but the greens and reds are too close together for me to tell apart

-edit-

Btw, the FOV, while not terrible, is still jacked up. Do none of these game designers use regular 16:10 widescreens?

I'm aware of everything you've pointed out.. and I have the speed up tonic already... I explore everything....I hack every machine, but usually dont have enough money to really stock up on everything...I'm still not real happy with the game. It just seems so...clunky to me. I still get killed all the time, the lightning plasmid doesn't last long enough to charge them most the time. I find I die from the guns and from a distance more than close quarters in which case the charge / melee is useless. I'll keep plugging on, maybe it will get better still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote