Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-03, 08:17 AM   #1
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis
Default nvaudio issue?

Has anyone else been able to use the surround function of the nforce2 audio chipset in Linux? I myself can only use the front l+r speakers. Nothing comes out of the rear ones. I guess this is a driver issue and wonder if nVidia in that case will give us Linux users this function any time soon?
Old 07-08-03, 09:51 AM   #2
bahamot

u could try Alsa driver in order to get surround.
but u still need software mixing to get multi stream e.g. esd, arts
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-03, 12:55 PM   #3
connyosis
Eggplant

Ok, didnt know about that.
Though I must say it isnt very user friendly by nVidia.
Not only must we install the basic modules for nvnet, nvaudio and nvidia graphics cards, but also install alsa modules. Would someone stop the madness?
Old 07-09-03, 12:05 AM   #4
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by connyosis
Would someone stop the madness?
helpless...... unless Nvidia itself make a FULL SUPPORT driver under Linux.
But i'm afraid that will never happen, Nforce1 proved it. Nforce1 already out in market for years. And untill now only SPDIF supported in very limited way and it was added recently!
Old 07-09-03, 04:51 AM   #5
connyosis
Eggplant

Yeah, that sucks.
I mean I am thankful that nVidia atleast provides drivers for Linux, a lot of companies dont, but I think they could either:
1: Put some more effort into it so Linux users get the same functionality as windows user
2: Release specs and code so other developers could do it for them.
Old 07-10-03, 02:57 AM   #6
bahamot

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks.
I mean I am thankful that nVidia atleast provides drivers for Linux, a lot of companies dont, but I think they could either:
1: Put some more effort into it so Linux users get the same functionality as windows user
yeah agree!!!
but i think they don't even bother to listen to minor users , that's really scuks!!
Old 07-10-03, 05:37 AM   #7
connyosis
Eggplant

I really hope they do listen to their users, even the minority ones.
After all we buy their products, and maybe its just me but I think that if you buy a product you should be able to use it the way it was intended
Old 07-10-03, 02:58 PM   #8
Chalnoth

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks.
You should look at their latest Linux nForce drivers. They've recently added quite a lot of functionality (just in the past few weeks), including S/PDIF out. I will have to say, however, that I haven't had the chance to test out the specific functionality that is being asked about in this thread.

Old 07-10-03, 08:28 PM   #9
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
You should look at their latest Linux nForce drivers. They've recently added quite a lot of functionality (just in the past few weeks), including S/PDIF out. I will have to say, however, that I haven't had the chance to test out the specific functionality that is being asked about in this thread.
a lot?
could you mention it? Thx in advance!
the only thing i know is SPDIF and how many people have that kind of speaker? I mean without buy a SBLive i could save $60 Aus and to use SPDIF i have to spend 3 figures just to be able get surround under linux?
i want a driver support analog speaker surround and multi stream!
Old 07-11-03, 11:46 AM   #10
Chalnoth

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0261

The most important addition, in my opinion, is the addition of the AGP gart.

Oh, by the way, this version, apparently:
"Fixed bug in audio driver that was causing MSI nForce board to only use 2 channels"
Old 07-11-03, 05:58 PM   #11
connyosis
Eggplant

Well, I use a Abit NF7-S motherboard and I can only use the front speakers plug. Connecting speakers to the rear ones and I still only get sound from the front speakers.
Old 07-12-03, 01:33 AM   #12
Chalnoth

Quote:
Well, I use a Abit NF7-S motherboard and I can only use the front speakers plug. Connecting speakers to the rear ones and I still only get sound from the front speakers.
Check volume settings. The actual commands slip my mind at the moment, but there may be some info in the nforce drivers readme.