Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-03, 05:13 AM   #13
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

I've checked the readme and done as it says. Still same thing. The thing I'm wondering about is the fact that I must enable support for another soundcard to get sound at all. (Otherwise I get errors about unresolved symbols with ac97 blah)
In my case I enabled support for the ensonic 1371 card. Could that be causing the problem?
Old 07-12-03, 06:01 AM   #14
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
The most important addition, in my opinion, is the addition of the AGP gart.
not usefull for Nvidia VGA.
Quote:
Oh, by the way, this version, apparently:
"Fixed bug in audio driver that was causing MSI nForce board to only use 2 channels"
Surround only for SPDIF i think.
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-03, 12:46 PM   #15
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by bahamot
not usefull for Nvidia VGA.
Um, just remember that before these drivers, it was impossible to use any non-ATI card in AGP mode on the nForce (which meant, in my case, an inability to use a Radeon 9700 in Linux).

So, the addition of this AGP gart is a huge step forward for the nForce's Linux drivers.

Quote:
Surround only for SPDIF i think.
It's a start. Remember, these updates have only been within the past month or so. Previously, the only support for the nForce has been from slightly modified versions of other open source drivers. This is definitely a good first step for nVidia to start really supporting the nForce.
Old 07-12-03, 01:34 PM   #16
connyosis
Eggplant

Quote:
It's a start. Remember, these updates have only been within the past month or so. Previously, the only support for the nForce has been from slightly modified versions of other open source drivers. This is definitely a good first step for nVidia to start really supporting the nForce.
Sure, its a start and as I said I am grateful that nVidia makes Linux drivers for their products. Even if Linux is getting more and more common it is still a minority system, but I (And I'm sure a lot of other Linux users) are sick and tired or having to wait a long time for Linux drivers that compared to their windows eqvivalents doesnt have half the functions.
I see no reason for nVidia not to open source these drivers so they can be integraded into the Linux kernel, it would make a lot of things better for us nVidia Linux users.

Anyhow, I got the sound issue resolved by using ALSA, but I still think its kinda user unfriendly since alsa isnt integrated into the current stable kernel. When version 2.6 is released I guess this will be resolved.
Old 07-12-03, 06:46 PM   #17
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by connyosis
but I (And I'm sure a lot of other Linux users) are sick and tired or having to wait a long time for Linux drivers that compared to their windows eqvivalents doesnt have half the functions.
I see no reason for nVidia not to open source these drivers so they can be integraded into the Linux kernel, it would make a lot of things better for us nVidia Linux users.
Agree!

Quote:
Anyhow, I got the sound issue resolved by using ALSA
but it still doesn't support multi stream right?

how long should we have to wait ???! I really prefer to get SBLive for $60 Aus than with current user support for linux. Also why there's no Bass and Treble control for both Win and Linux driver? does the hardware really not support it? it's really a shame for a sound card that people claim can match Audigy 2 but can't adjust Bass and Treble.
I know we could do something about it with equalizer, but bass and treble control are more convenient than we have to tweak that equalizer, some people just don't know how to adjust an equalizer you know!.
Old 07-12-03, 10:27 PM   #18
connyosis
Eggplant

Nope, no multistream, but atleast I can use more than two speakers which is nice.
Old 07-14-03, 02:10 AM   #19
Chalnoth

Quote:
nVidia claims that the reason they will not open-source drivers is due to IP issues (i.e. IP that nVidia does not own exclusively). It stands to reason that at least one of these possible issues is the unified driver architecture, for which nVidia does not have exclusive patent rights (if I remember correctly, they share a cross-licensing agreement on the unified driver architecture with SGI, but I could be wrong). If this is indeed the case, then it becomes exceedingly challenging to open source much of the drivers at all, as the unified driver architecture lies at the very heart of how the drivers are coded.
Old 07-14-03, 04:42 AM   #20
connyosis
Eggplant

Yes, if this is so then I agree that open sourcing these drivers is harder. Though, SGI also has a history of supporting open source, so maybe its possible to convince them.
Still, nVidia can and should release the specs for their cards so that people can write better programs for them. For instance nvtv has problems with GF4 and FX cards, just beacuse the specs arent released.

Old 07-14-03, 08:51 PM   #21
leyon

Hi guys,
after installed ALSA ,
you can use eSound in all the software(such as mplayer,xmms),
so that you can use multi stream.

But who can tell me how to use rear speakers ,such as in mplayer(which plays ac3 xvid)?
My rear speakers are silent always except I check the "Duplication Front",but they arenot the real rear sound stream,
so anybody can help me ?
thx a lot.
leyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-03, 04:15 AM   #22
bahamot

Quote:
Originally posted by leyon
But who can tell me how to use rear speakers ,such as in mplayer(which plays ac3 xvid)?
My rear speakers are silent always except I check the "Duplication Front",but they arenot the real rear sound stream,
so anybody can help me ?
thx a lot.
have u check set line input as rear speaker?
Old 07-15-03, 07:34 AM   #23
leyon

Quote:
Originally posted by bahamot
have u check set line input as rear speaker?
if windows , it works properly.
my alsa mixer setup shows as the attachment,
any suggestion ?
thx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	2602  
leyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-03, 08:54 AM   #24