Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-10, 12:35 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: Is it possible to connect ps3 to pc display?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere View Post
Actually you can install certain games to the hard drive. I've installed Street Fighter 4, Uncharted, and Metal Gear Solid 4 so far. I would absolutely LOVE to install Demon's Souls, but it doesn't have the option for it. It must vary from game to game.
I think he's talking about a different kind of install. Where you can the entire game loaded in the HD. PS3 installs are just a cache to improve load times but the entire game is not installed.
Old 02-14-10, 01:39 PM   #14
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea I have done it. Use a HDMI to DVI converter (female HDMI to male DVI) and use a regular AV cable for the audio (red and white RCA to minijack). When you setup the display on the PS3, make sure to set the audio output settings (usually at the end of the display settings it asks you if you want to) and you're all set.
He should be aware that sometimes the adapter doesn't work, like on older lcd's and tv's 2004 and earlier (depends on manufacturer).
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 01:43 PM   #15
HiCZoK4

Samsung 226bw here. 22'' 16:10 1680x1050 screen. Dvi and vga inputs ONLY. No 1:1 aspect correction option btw
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 01:48 PM   #16
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
It says "Most Active Topics
How To Use Your 226BW HDCP Compliant Monitor As A TV"

And under specs it says "DVI(HDCP)"
I have two outputs. DVI and Dsub. It seems DVI is called HDCP.

Next questions!!!
1.What is on PSN?
2.Do I have do pay for everything?
3.Are there demos for most of games?
4.Can I install games like on 360?
5.Can I play games like killzone2etc for free over WI-FI? Would love to kick some nvnews members arses
5.How "durable" is ps3. Does is have issues like 360?
6.What can You say about ps3 dualshock3. I have only used x360 pad and it was quite comfortable... only it was getting very "sweaty", and I had to clean my hands a LOT.
7.Backward compatibility? Only needed for Shadow of the Colossus.
8.Can I use ps3 to browse internets (offcourse in simple way)
9.Standing Vertical horizontal. I prefer Vertical-phat vs Slim.

10.And finally how is it overall. Share Your opinions on gaming etc etc

Sorry to have tons of question but I have to be sure. it costs A LOT in here and games also are quite expensive so I have to make a not fail choice I watched plenty of reviews but those are all quite the same...
HDCP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-ba...ent_Protection

#5 - Wifi has a higher latency and lower bandwidth, so while you can, I wouldn't.
#5 (you noticed you used 5 twice right?) - Treat it like a stereo receiver and you should be fine.
#6 - (compared to the 360)It is significantly lighter, seems shaped for smaller hands, the rumble is weaker, layout is slightly different, you'll just have to get used to it. The most annoying part is that with no replaceable battery, you need to have a spare controller on hand. (battery life is fine).
#7 - The slim has none.
#8 - Use a pc.
#9 - I have mine vertical, it is a monster of a unit next to the 360 and Wii.
Old 02-14-10, 01:50 PM   #17
Lyme

Quote:
Samsung 226bw here. 22'' 16:10 1680x1050 screen. Dvi and vga inputs ONLY. No 1:1 aspect correction option btw
No idea, you will have to buy the $10 connector and find out.
Old 02-14-10, 01:53 PM   #18
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post

#5 - Wifi has a higher latency and lower bandwidth, so while you can, I wouldn't.
#5 (you noticed you used 5 twice right?) - Treat it like a stereo receiver and you should be fine.
#6 - (compared to the 360)It is significantly lighter, seems shaped for smaller hands, the rumble is weaker, layout is slightly different, you'll just have to get used to it. The most annoying part is that with no replaceable battery, you need to have a spare controller on hand. (battery life is fine).
#7 - The slim has none.
#8 - Use a pc.
Yeah i noticed that I used 5 two times. lols

There are no different versions of ps3 like there are with 360? You know. other motherboards and fans.
Old 02-14-10, 01:58 PM   #19
marqmajere
GeVooForceDoo

Just get a slim and don't worry about it. I just bought Rachet and Clank: Tools today so I'm looking forward to firing that one up.

Desktop - Asus M3A78-CM | AMD Phenom II 965 | 4 gigs G. Skill 1066 | ATI 5850 1 gig | WD 1TB Black
| Windows7 64-bit

Laptop - m11x
marqmajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 05:15 PM   #20
Lyme

Quote:
Yeah i noticed that I used 5 two times. lols

There are no different versions of ps3 like there are with 360? You know. other motherboards and fans.
There have been something like 12+ revisions to the ps3 hardware (including going from fat to slim) so far. So yes, there are differences.

However among ps3-slims the differences are very much like the 360 now, hard drive size and extra stuff in the box.

Oh, if you've had a hd-dvd player for the 360 and get a blu-ray movie for the ps3, expect the start up of the movie to take longer (comparatively) it is normal.

Old 02-14-10, 05:20 PM   #21
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere View Post
Just get a slim and don't worry about it. I just bought Rachet and Clank: Tools today so I'm looking forward to firing that one up.
I got that one http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...0f9fdf17acen02 cheap way to get a second controller.

Of course I was a huge penny pincher, I waited for a ps3 slim 120g bundle that cost $299 and had extras in the box. Got Arkam and infamous thrown in for no added cost. (I only buy new).
Old 02-14-10, 07:05 PM   #22
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post

#7 - The slim has none.
#8 - Use a pc.
You can game on wifi just fine, I have been using my PS3 over wifi since I got the system. The battery life on the dualshock is longer then an x360 controller. The slim has PSX backwards compat so it has some.
Old 02-15-10, 09:58 AM   #23
HiCZoK4

Thanks for help. All this info should help me to dcide what to get when times come
Old 02-15-10, 12:58 PM   #24
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I'll just add my expereinces. I recently was between houses so I was using my PS3 with a 24inch 1920x1200 LCD with HDMI input. Worked fine, I set the PS3 to 1080P and set the LCD to 1:1 ratio so it didn't scale (just had black bars on the top and bottom. This was fine for 1080P games, but as we know most are 720P. Now we probably also all know the scaling on PC monitors is pretty crap, and a 1280x720 image on a 1920x1200 display doesn't look that good. So keep that in mind. I coped with it and finished Uncharted 1 and 2. Should also note, the PS3 doesn't scale PS3 games up. So if you disable 720P it will always go down to 576p (or 480p depending on your region).
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote