Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-10, 01:53 PM   #157
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: ***Official AVP 2010 (PC) Thread***

i just noticed that this game has co-op

did anyone tried it? what type of co-op is it?
Old 02-20-10, 03:56 PM   #158
MowTin

I'm getting terrible pauses at times...like 2 or 3 seconds. It was totally unplayable until I played in offline mode. Now it's much better but the pauses are still a real problem.

What drivers and settings are you guys using?

I'm playing DX10 @ 1920x1080 maxed out but shadows normal. I hope my 2GB of ram is not the issue. (using 185.5 driver version)

P.S. Fun game so far. Not very polished but has a fun factor most games lack.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 04:00 PM   #159
=assassin=

I've got looping sound in cutscenes - only played a bit of the marine machines so far. Feels a bit average and unexciting :/
=assassin= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 05:20 PM   #160
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

I didn't see any options for co-op. Have you tried it yet?
Old 02-20-10, 05:44 PM   #161
K-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

Co-op is in the form of 'Survivor' mode. Up to four people try to survive against waves of aliens, each wave being tougher than the last. You can also play it in single player, of course it's more fun with friends but it also gets much more difficult with more players. Quite fun (and addicting) to play. The aliens use the maps really effectively, climbing all over the walls and making pounce attacks then running away.

Unfortunately there's only two maps right now (though people who ordered the collector's edition got extra maps). Rebellion promises more maps on the way though, including plans to make the collector's edition maps available for everyone. It's not too big an issue, however, I mean you're playing to shoot aliens, and the current maps let you do that just fine.

Also been playing a lot of Species Team Deathmatch; that is incredibly fun! Throwing three wildly different teams into some fairly open maps makes for some very interesting experiences.

Last edited by K-1; 02-21-10 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Changed the screenshot :D
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 06:30 PM   #162
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Anyone else having their game freeze up during loading? My game will load for a second, then the arrows quit moving and I have to alt tab and end it through task manager, and windows says its not responding. Yes I've verified the Integrity of the game through steam.
Old 02-20-10, 06:42 PM   #163
K007

Survivor mode is tons of FUN!!! LOVE IT.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 07:07 PM   #164
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

survivor mode is so basic, you cant set up defenses. Essentially you just run around to dodge attacks and find ammo / weapon pickups. The areas are very small and yeah two maps.

Old 02-21-10, 01:49 AM   #165
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Anyone else having their game freeze up during loading? My game will load for a second, then the arrows quit moving and I have to alt tab and end it through task manager, and windows says its not responding. Yes I've verified the Integrity of the game through steam.
Common issue a google search should have solved. Turn off v-synch and mouse acceleration.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 03:58 AM   #166
Viral
Registered User of Women

Played 2 chapters of the marine and 1 Alien as well as a single player survival session.

The atmosphere in marine is great. The sounds are very good, the smoke and light effects works very well in creating dramatic immersion and suspense. Most of the other graphics are very good, especially those important to the series (aliens, facehuggers, hive environment, marines and weapons. Some of the textures are a bit low res but most are very good. As said before the smoke and lighting is great, but every object doesn't cast dynamic shadows. Boxes and movable objects only cast a small drop shadow, not a dynamic shadow even when you shine your flash light on them. Also, say if theres a rail with a electrical cable wraped around it, only the rail will cast a shadow not the cable.

Graphics for alien so far are just as good. The colours and fov are weird but that's just part of being an alien. The colour thing is more noticable these days because graphics are better. I've notice some people saying it looks worse, I'd say that's mostly because of the colours. I love how you can see your tail when you turn around fast.

As for gameplay, marine is great for the most part. The suspense is very good. For those complaining about the damage aliens take, I think it's justified. Besides, I've killed an alien with three shots of the pistol, I just caught it off guard in open light sitting on a rail facing away from me. The aliens are hard to kill because they're hard to see and track; this is exactly how it should be. Sure, they die a lot easier in survival, but that makes sense for that game mode. The health system is great, employing a mix of regeneration and stimpacks (med kits) with you being able to recover to a certain point (there are 3 bars) much like some fighters. I like this approach very much.

Although the story wasn't very captivating and objectives uninteresting, the suspense and immersion of the game are spot on. I was still a bit bored with it, like it was just a graphically better version of the original, that is until I got the the ***spoiler*** queen at the end of the second stage. Lots of eggs, facehuggers, aliens and of course, the queen. Very exciting stuff, I didn't care then that it was nothing new.***spoiler end***

As for the alien campaign. I loved the start, it reminds me of the original HL start for some reason, the introduction/training sequence is very fitting. After that it went down hill a bit... a lot of that is my fault. Getting used to the aliens agility takes some time. It really does require you to be very quick at reacting. I've got to learn stealth kills and harvests.

Survival mode was a bit boring tbh. I killed 86 aliens on my first try which took 18mins (in the temple map)... the map was a bit small and the aliens all a bit too easy... until all of a sudden one surprised me and killed me from full health. I realise the darkness of the maps is very important, but I would really really like a map like the canyon one from the original AvP with the small barracks at the end. I had so much fun with that. Sure, the gameplay was more like a starship troopers game with dozens of aliens chasing you in hordes in an open desert type environment. So yeah, it wasn't all that accurate to the series, but I preferred that kind of large scale you against the horde type thing.

Solid game so far, some aspects are disappointing though. Definitely not worthy of a 95% or above score, probably something like 85-90% from me once I've played more of it.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 09:09 AM   #167
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

Well I have just order the game and it should be here in the week. After playing the demo I am looking forward to getting it.
Old 02-21-10, 11:29 AM   #168
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

I have to say thanks Rebellion for ****ing up the franchise. All they had to do was do one simple thing, copy the original AVP2 game to this. Make it the same, with newer graphics. Predators die in two hits from a tail, the melee system is so gay. Its not even fun. How can this be an FPS game if all you do is depend on stupid melee battles with aliens in which half the time they win.

How can you even think this game is good.. I love the graphics, love the fact you can play as predator, but the game is lacking options for a pred v human match, the pred dies in two hits from a pulse rifle, I mean you don't even get to see your health deteriorate, you're just dead. There was no dedicated server support with release, and still isn't as of yet. There isn't a server browser that I could find.. Hosting a game is completely pointless as the lack of options suck ass.

The maps are very few. I mean come on this game has to be a joke, the real one has to be coming out in April or something this is pathetic.