Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-01-02, 06:33 PM   #1
gadido

Default red hat distros

Hello,
I'm confused about the list of red hat versions on the nvidia web site. I suppose smp means multi processor. but what does the UP in RedHat 7.3 UP i686 mean? And what is bigmem? And what is enterprise? I bought this and it practically installed itself. It works okay. I thought the install program would set things up for me. but maybe not, it says 386 when I start it up but I don't have a 386 cpu. So I wonder what the 386, 586 and 686 is all about. Also I wonder why NVchooser does not work on my computer. It did on Mandrake. This all sounds like I don't know anything about red hat and that is because I don't.
gadido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 10:58 PM   #2
utiel

Default redhat distros and its nightmare

SMP: System multi Processor

UP: Uni-Processor system

Bigmem: If kernel is compiled to support over 1Giga of RAM

Enterprise: If kernel with extra options is installed, like bigmem + extras ( I remember something about virtual machine and swap, different from kernel standard )

NVkernel:
I download srpm's, but you have to download closest to your system.
i386 work with al computers
i686 work with pentum II and above
Atlon work with AMD processors

and I think that Nvidia should do our live easy.
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 11:10 PM   #3
ScrubGhost

Talking

The nvidia kernel and glx drivers are a mature product and installing from source is far surperior than using precompiled binaries. They work well if you follow the instructions and have never given me troubles. On older hardware like mine you may need to add some options into X config but very little.

If in dought use the i386 binaries as they are generic and will work on almost all intel x86 processors.

Keep looking and all will be revieled
ScrubGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-02, 05:17 PM   #4
gadido

well thanks you guys. That is what I wanted to know. So I tried the tar file which I had used about a year before on another computer without any problem. It seemed to work and so I set up to have this graphic login which precipitated a disaster. I got this horrible blinking screen for a login. Something about respawning too fast. I went crazy pressing alt and fx to get a login screen (I finaly got one as the system decided to rest from trying to do what ever it was trying to do) and I re-edited inittab to start in run level 3. But then after I rebooted and went to startx there were so many errors that I just decided to start from what I thought was scratch...I deleted the directories I had created and the changes I had mad to the file XF86Config-4 etc. and tried to install the svga type driver, unpacked the nvidia files and went to make install and got a puta madral de error messages mostly having to do with files with names like asm/fixmap.h being missing. So I tried the rpms and they worked kind of. I say kind of because there are so many wierd little problems. videos freeze up, games have missing functions, windows will spontaneously minimize and return to normal size. blank screen after logout of an x session. and so on. Maybe it will be easier for me to re-install the os. and start all over. Oh well.
gadido is offline   Reply With Quote