Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-03, 02:16 PM   #37
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Crappy port means they didn't test it properly with ATi cards (if there's been confirmed widespread issues). Logo or no logo, it wouldn't make sense for Koname to ignore a large portion of the market even if nVidia paid for logo rights.
Just accept the fact that it means that the nVidia logo means $$$ for the developer and some greater optimizations and compatibility. I don't see why it's that hard to understand.
surfhurleydude is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:17 PM   #38
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot
 
5150 Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
Just accept the fact that it means that the nVidia logo means $$$ for the developer and some greater optimizations and compatibility. I don't see why it's that hard to understand.

Maybe SOME optimization and possibly compatibility if they use them as the dev cards but outright not working? Don't think so. If that's the case, then maybe we should expect HL2 to work miracles on ATi cards but run like ass on nVidia cards right?
__________________
CLICK FOR MY HEATWARE!

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:18 PM   #39
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Except with ATi you get to choose which option you want.
Heh. THat is true... Would you happen to have any screens with forced full Trilinear compared to just half-assed-linear filtering? I mean screens that aren't all colorful and trippy, that is...
surfhurleydude is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:20 PM   #40
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Maybe SOME optimization and possibly compatibility if they use them as the dev cards but outright not working? Don't think so. If that's the case, then maybe we should expect HL2 to work miracles on ATi cards but run like ass on nVidia cards right?
Well hey, who's to say there won't be BOTH of the logos on HL2? I don't have the game in front of me now and niether do you Anyhow, you are right that it is one step too far to have it outright not working...However some optimizations ala UT2003 (aside from this AF issue) are certainly expected and tolerable.
surfhurleydude is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:21 PM   #41
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot
 
5150 Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
Well hey, who's to say there won't be BOTH of the logos on HL2? I don't have the game in front of me now and niether do you Anyhow, you are right that it is one step too far to have it outright not working...However some optimizations ala UT2003 (aside from this AF issue) are certainly expected and tolerable.
Maybe they would've been expected but from what I've read, Epic denies there are any. I don't see why they'd lie about it since other devs openly state they will add extra eye candy since nVidia paid them off (e.g. stalker).
__________________
CLICK FOR MY HEATWARE!

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:23 PM   #42
Hanners
Elite Bastard
 
Hanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 984
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
Heh. THat is true... Would you happen to have any screens with forced full Trilinear compared to just half-assed-linear filtering? I mean screens that aren't all colorful and trippy, that is...
You mean you don't play in psychedelic mode? You don't know what you're missing!

To be honest though, screenshots don't do the difference justice, it's hard to pick out - Only when you are actually moving around do the mipmap borders start to show (as I'm sure anyone like myself who used to own a Radeon 8500 and was forced to live with bilinear with AF will tell you!).
__________________
Owner / Editor-in-Chief - Elite Bastards
Hanners is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:23 PM   #43
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Maybe they would've been expected but from what I've read, Epic denies there are any. I don't see why they'd lie about it since other devs openly state they will add extra eye candy since nVidia paid them off (e.g. stalker).
Probably because the optimizations lower quality for nVidia cards and nVidia is holding Epic by the throat to not let it get out?
surfhurleydude is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:24 PM   #44
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot
 
5150 Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanners
You mean you don't play in psychedelic mode? You don't know what you're missing!

To be honest though, screenshots don't do the difference justice, it's hard to pick out - Only when you are actually moving around do the mipmap borders start to show (as I'm sure anyone like myself who used to own a Radeon 8500 and was forced to live with bilinear with AF will tell you!).

Depends on the game though Hanners. I don't notice mip map boundries at all in games like BF1942. In shooters like Quake/UT2003 it's definitely noticeable though.
__________________
CLICK FOR MY HEATWARE!

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline  

Old 07-09-03, 02:24 PM   #45
Miksu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
I really, really don't get your point. First you whine about Ati not giving an option to use full trilinear filtering, then when proved wrong, you are like "oh mom, you can't see the difference between full and mixed, so it doesn't matter".
Miksu is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:25 PM   #46
5150 Joker
100% Certified nVidiot
 
5150 Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Davis, California
Posts: 759
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by surfhurleydude
Probably because the optimizations lower quality for nVidia cards and nVidia is holding Epic by the throat to not let it get out?
I doubt Epic would sell-out so easily. Its not like they're some fledgling company in need of cash badly enough that they'd hide these sort of "cheat/optimizations" for nVidia.
__________________
CLICK FOR MY HEATWARE!

Desktop: DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR | AMD64 3000+@2.6ghz | Leadtek 7800 GTX | 2 GB Crucial PC3200 | 2x120 GB 8mb WD | Dell 2005FPW 20" LCD | Antec "TrueControl" v2 550w PSU | Lian Li PC75 modded case with H20 Cooling

Laptop: XPS Gen 2 | Samsung LCD | P-M 2.13 | nVidia 6800 Go Ultra | 2 GB DDR2 | 60GB 7200RPM HD | 8x DVD-RW/CD-RW| Dell Wireless 1450 a/b/g | Windows XP Home | 3 Yr Warranty/Complete Care.
5150 Joker is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:25 PM   #47
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
You mean you don't play in psychedelic mode? You don't know what you're missing!

To be honest though, screenshots don't do the difference justice, it's hard to pick out - Only when you are actually moving around do the mipmap borders start to show (as I'm sure anyone like myself who used to own a Radeon 8500 and was forced to live with bilinear with AF will tell you!).
Hmmm... Well I don't know if it's worth the performance difference or not since I obviously can't tell for myself (Have a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra)... But I used to use 16x Performance ansio on my Radeon 9700 Pro and have now treated myself to 8X Quality ansio on my GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and the difference in quality is pretty amazing, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a nice bit of extra eye candy....
surfhurleydude is offline  
Old 07-09-03, 02:27 PM   #48
surfhurleydude
Radeon 9900 Pro
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
I really, really don't get your point. First you whine about Ati not giving an option to use full trilinear filtering, then when proved wrong, you are like "oh mom, you can't see the difference between full and mixed, so it doesn't matter"
? You obviously aren't reading my posts...

Quote:
I doubt Epic would sell-out so easily. Its not like they're some fledgling company in need of cash.
Konami is in a better financial position than Epic, and Electronic Arts is in a better financial position than both of them combined, yet EA is the biggest nVidia sell out of them all.
surfhurleydude is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.