Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-09-03, 05:13 PM   #1
Bollie

Default ALSA 0.9.5 is out with better support for Soundstorm...

I've used the ALSA CVS for a while now and 0.9.5 is out now. 0.9.4 didn't properly work with SPDIF passthrough or digital out, but it looks like 0.9.5 does!

I've gotten digital out and analog out to work (but not in parallel ... ). I've got the oss emulator running via digital out too and so far it's sweet!

I generally prefer ALSA to OSS for the plain and simple reason that it's much more configurable.

I'll be happy to share any info on the asounrc, mplayer settings and modules.conf settings if anyone is interested.

What I really want to know, is how to set up soft mixing in ALSA for multiple streams. That would be sweet.
Old 07-16-03, 03:04 AM   #2
danboid

Default Redhat 9?

I'm running Redhat 9 XFS (just recompiled the included kernel source, being careful to include sound support but no particular driver) on a A7N8X board and although a previous version of ALSA did work (after patching the code), ALSA 0.9.5 didn't work at all for me.

It compiled fine, and all the modules successfully modprobed EXCEPT for the sequencer one. I thought this would mean no MIDI playback but I'd be alright for PCM but instead I am currently totally soundless.

Anybody got the latest ALSA release working with RH9? How?

Thanks,

dan
danboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-03, 11:00 AM   #3
bahamot

Default Re: ALSA 0.9.5 is out with better support for Soundstorm...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bollie
What I really want to know, is how to set up soft mixing in ALSA for multiple streams. That would be sweet.
use esound or arts
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-03, 07:49 AM   #4
Bollie

Default Yah, I know about those two...

What I'd like, rather is something closer to what the Sound Blaster Live did: multiple apps could open the sound device at the same time. Unfortunately arts or esound don't work with everything...

WRT the RedHat 9 problem, think it might be the 'ol acpi=off pci=noacpi trick?
Old 07-17-03, 09:57 AM   #5
bahamot

Default Re: Yah, I know about those two...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bollie
What I'd like, rather is something closer to what the Sound Blaster Live did: multiple apps could open the sound device at the same time.
that one..... then u have too keep praying so Nvidia will make it for us.
that's why i'm sick of it, i'm going to buy SBLive! anyway, it's really cheap today.
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-03, 06:17 AM   #6
gavino

Send a message via ICQ to gavino
Default ALSA 0.9.6 ...still can't get SPDIF output working

Please, I beg you - can anyone help me get SPDIF output working for ALSA?

I've used the nvaudio driver and can get SPDIF output working with that, but I couldn't get SPDIF passthrough working in any of the DVD apps.

Xine recommends not using esd mixer so I thought I'd give ALSA a try. Is there any way I can get the ALSA SPDIF working with the 0.9.6 snd-intel8x0 driver?!

Help me obi-wan...
gavino is offline   Reply With Quote