Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-05-03, 06:26 PM   #1
Max3D
Quadro2 Pro

Default Optimal kernel configuration for for NForce2?

I've been scouring the net lookin for a posted example of how people are configuring their kernels for NF2 chipset boards and have very limited info and been doing a lot of guessing such as"

- Should AGP Support be built in and unselect all other AGP driver support?, will the nvidia NF2 drivers require this a certain way?
- APIC/IO APIC and ACPI, my BIOS is setup for APIC, is the APIC stable enough in kernel 2.4 to use this?
- LM Sensors support?
- Many more I cant think of at the moment cause im not booted in linux.

Any example .config template's around?

kernel 2.4.x preferred
(not devel 2.5)

Thanks.

Last edited by Max3D; 07-05-03 at 06:39 PM.
Max3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-03, 08:09 PM   #2
udok

- agp is needed only if you use nforce2 igp or if you have a graphic card which is not an nvidia one
so if you have an nvidia graphic card, you don't have to use agpgart
if you don't have one, you must patch your kernel to support agpgart of nforce (patch is in the nforce driver package)
- acpi work for me but i don't enable all options : i only enable this :
CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_SYS=m

for apic, i think it's not very useful and i don't use it

- lm-sensors don't work very well for me, but maybe it's because of my motherboard, and not the nforce2 chipset (I have a shuttle)

- don't forget the ide setting : you must enable amd viper driver

anyway, there is a good doc which come with the driver, and you should read it before all

PS : excuse me a lot for my very poor english
i hope you understood me
udok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-03, 09:25 PM   #3
Max3D
Quadro2 Pro

Thanks for reply udok, I took another look in the ReleaseNotes.html and it mentions AGP gart, no IGP on this board, its a Leadtek k7nr18cd (similar to Asus A7N8X non-deluxe but without 3com net), I DO however have a addon Quadro2 card in AGP Slot and will be using the standalone nvidia linux graphics drivers and will leave kernel AGP out.

APIC/IO-APIC seems to be working giving up to 23 IRQ's with this kernel I just compiled, hope its stable this way...hehe

just curious...
After applying the latest AC4 patch to kernel 2.4.21 It has selectable Nforce IDE/AGP support automatically without using Nforce drivers yet , any diff between this and agpgart.diff kernel patch?
Old 07-06-03, 01:39 AM   #4
Cao

The code in 2.4.21-ac4 is the same as the nVidia patch, just with the needed changes to work with 2.4.21 agpgart.

About APIC, it does work for me with the ac, .22-pre and 2.5.x series, but ACPI IRQ routing doesn't.
Cao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 07:37 AM   #5
The Analog Kid

Send a message via ICQ to The Analog Kid Send a message via AIM to The Analog Kid

You can also optimize it for your CPU, just open up the makefile and add

fdef CONFIG_MK7
CFLAGS += -march=athlon-xp -falign-functions=16 -falign-labels=1 -falign-loops=16 -falign-jumps=16 -mfpmath=sse -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fprefetch-loop-arrays
endif

That is to say you have GCC 3.2 or above.
Old 07-09-03, 12:56 AM   #6
Max3D
Quadro2 Pro

Ok, after a few reboots with APIC & APIC-IO built in kernel it hung there with a CPU APIC error, so recompiled w/
- no ACPI
- no APIC
- no APIC-IO
- no Power management
(none as modules, nothing).

kernel boots quick and things run good, hope someday A Guru programmer will figure this APIC out so we can use the IRQ routing and ...etc, would be nice to save power when things are not in use just for the sake of extending the life of hardware.

The Analog Kid: Some nice info there for GCC-3.2, thanks.