Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-10, 01:20 PM   #145
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

Default Re: Nvidia may be in trouble according to this article

ok so there finished/flat lined/zeroed out but NOT dead.... lol j/k.
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 01:31 PM   #146
lee63
Classified

Usually by now (2 weeks before launch) we have some legitimate leaked benchmarks and some idea of price. this kinda of worries me.
Old 03-10-10, 01:56 PM   #147
Redeemed

Don't put the cart before the horse- GTX480 may still own... won't know for a few more weeks though.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 05:05 PM   #148
lee63
Classified

Nvidia make GPUs as a pastime...their into much bigger things.
Old 03-10-10, 05:50 PM   #149
JasonPC

One of these days DarthBeavis I'm going to switch out the nvidia cards in your systems with ATI cards and then you'll be in a lot of hot water with nvidia
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 06:10 PM   #150
XMAN52373

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Actually,that needs an update,as with the partial sale of the factory AMD used to own in germany,and is now partner with global foundries,and the Intel settlement suit behind them as well,which Intel payed AMD 1.25 billion,they now have 2.3 billion in cash reserves,which is more than they've ever had period.

And more than enough for decent R&D budgets for both their CPU line,and of course,graphics and new chipsets releases,so i'm sure they'll be a pain in the ass for quite some time still.

As for Nvidia,given that the GF100 is a new architecture,even if the first version of that architecture isn't quite a good as people expect it to be(big if there),it doesn't mean Nvidia is screwed in the least,since we can easily draw comparisons with the R600 from ATI when it was released.

Even though it also didn't live up to expectations in it's first incarnation,the Current Cypress chip is the ultimate expression of the failed R600 chip with DX11 features added to it,and correcting it's weaknesses,such as texturing power sucked hard with only 16 texture units in the R600 for instance,and Cypress has 80 of them now,and it kicks ass as we all know....It's basically the R600 enhanced on some serious steroids.

The basic architecture of the GF100 will likely last at least 2~3 years,before a brand new one is released yet again,and it'll go thru die shrinks,faster clock speeds and other feature addition/tweaks within that time period for sure....It takes a few years to really design something new from the ground up.
Wonder how the hell they stocked up 2.3B when they have a debt over 5B. And FYI, that 1.25B from Intel went to pay down the debt, not into some mystical cash reserve THEY DONT HAVE. You can't have a cash reserve when your in debt up to your eyeballs. Nvidia on the other hand has cash reserves because they spent years making money instead of LOSING IT. Pre 08 Nvidia had 4B in the bank, today after the crap with laptop GPU and having to almost eat cost on teh G200 line, they still hvae, imagine this, over 2B in cash reserves. Anyone predicting their demise in the next 2 years is bonkers.

Current market caps and Stock prices:

NVDA- 17.66 and market cap of 9.81B
AMD- 9.00 and market cap of 6B
8GB DDR2 PC8500
Windows 7 U x64
XMAN52373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 01:18 AM   #151
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
you guys have no clue about who Nvidia it seems. you think Geforce is their entire market (I am not saying their are not an important part of that market I am saying that is just part of who they are)? To say Nvidia is dead or almost dead because their Geforce release is a little behind schedule is quite funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee63 View Post
Nvidia make GPUs as a pastime...their into much bigger things.
Care to elaborate?

Their chipsets have flopped, they are recovering from a rather large issues with their integrated laptop GPUs, they do not make CPUs, and are way late in regards to their desktop GPU... I suppose cell phones, netbooks, and other such portable devices could be a source of income with their Ion platform and also their Quadros for the Professional market- but those markets are incredibly small for the likes of nVidia compared to the desktop and laptop markets- and I'm primarily addressing OEM sales here not retail or e-tail.

To my knowledge most of nVidia's income does stem around their GPU sales to OEMs for either laptops or desktops.
Old 03-11-10, 01:24 AM   #152
Vardant

The answer is Tegra and while Quadro market may be small, the margins are huge.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-10, 01:31 AM   #153
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
The answer is Tegra and while Quadro market may be small, the margins are huge.
Yes, but large enough to rival the OEM market for laptops and desktops?

I'll confess- it's been a while since I looked into this so it's quite possible I'm way off, but it just seems that the OEM income would be far larger for them.
Old 03-11-10, 02:51 AM   #154
Iruwen

Less than one-third of their profit comes from the OEM market iirc, they make two-thirds in the professional segment (as has already been said). That's one reason why they focus so much on GPGPU.

/e: and nobody rivals with Intel in the OEM market since they have a market share of more than 50%...
Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 05:48 AM   #155
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruwen View Post
Less than one-third of their profit comes from the OEM market iirc, they make two-thirds in the professional segment (as has already been said). That's one reason why they focus so much on GPGPU.
Also a reason why they would like to address the problem of low vertex rates in GPUs, we all know that most professional stuff is more about pushing polygons than shading them.
Having 4x advantage is nice when comparing to rivals.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 06:13 AM   #156
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Care to elaborate?

Their chipsets have flopped, they are recovering from a rather large issues with their integrated laptop GPUs, they do not make CPUs, and are way late in regards to their desktop GPU... I suppose cell phones, netbooks, and other such portable devices could be a source of income with their Ion platform and also their Quadros for the Professional market- but those markets are incredibly small for the likes of nVidia compared to the desktop and laptop markets- and I'm primarily addressing OEM sales here not retail or e-tail.

To my knowledge most of nVidia's income does stem around their GPU sales to OEMs for either laptops or desktops.
Sure.
1. Their chipsets haven't "flopped" - they're in a legal dispute over contract terms and not selling them until it's resolved. They've also counter sued Intel over Intel IGP patent violations, Intel stands to lose much more than NVIDIA if the court finds in favor of of NVIDIA.
2. There is no competition currently NVIDIA's Optimus technology. (typing this on an Optimus laptop)
3. Tegra, NVIDIA's mobile graphics chip, is rumored to be the selection for Nintendos DS2, and basically has no competition in the mobile market.
4. Their Ion platform is superior to te Atom platform in the rapidly growing netbook market.
5. NVIDIA owns the GPGPU and workstation market.
6. Fermi based GPUs will offer a much superior feature set and similar or better performance than their ATi counterparts.

And what does ATi have going for them? Oh yeah, 1/3 of the consumer graphics market. woot

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote