Iruwen

Cool Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
anyone know how much faster itll be compared to the 295
43,9825321%, +/-0,0000001%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
True, unless the 480/470 has heat issues. That's one of my worries about this card.
I don't care about heat, but about noise. It can run at 90C all the time if that's within the specification as long as it doesn't sound like a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra.
Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:19 AM   #146
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11
Default Re: nVidia unveil at Pax East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That would be part of the "scaling is variable" I mentioned.

I don't know that a GTX480 isn't as fast as a 5970, but if it is, that will be EPIC. I don't know if there's ever been that big of a leap forward in GPU tech that I can remember.

If that is the case, no one would have any reason to purchase an ATi card at all.

Except for the fact that it's rumored to be $500 or more. Again price is the key factor, the GTX 480 and 470 could clean my house and make me breakfast and I still wouldn't buy it. I don't have $350 for a card let alone $500+ you know they are going to be. One day when your older and you need to retire you'll look back on the thousands you spent every six months to upgrade your card to have just a few more FPS in a game and wonder why because you have no money. Unless your rich or get freebies which it sounds like you do Rollo which is also why you push so hard to sell NVIDIA.

I'm not rich but I'm not poor. I do however need to use some common sense and realize that right now a 5850 or 5870 will play all the current games I need to at a respectable setting. Hell I've not run into any issues running games on my 4870 for that matter. I also have a PS3 so if the computer won't handle it I'll buy it on that. I don't need a big e-penis and I don't care if I get over 60FPS in games any more. After blowing a grand or more year buying the fastest graphics cards for years, mostly NVIDA SLI, I realized how stupid it was. I could have saved that money towards better things, especially in this economy.

So no Rollo your statement isn't 100% true for everyone. While many hardcore users like many on this forum would agree I for one will buy the one that's the cheapest and offers great performance and I can assure many other consumers think more like me these days. That is why I will stick with ATI until NVIDA proves me wrong. That is one reason why the 4870 did so well, it was out performed by NVIDIA's offering but it was a great card at a great price. However I'm hoping that all these price rumors are just that and rumors. I for one used to love NVIDIA and wouldn't mind going green again but only if it's under $400.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:25 AM   #147
Enrico_be

Whoah ! The GTX 480 ~ as fast as a HD5970 o.O If that is true, that would be totally epic ! A single GPU, beating a dual one. It could be because why would Nvidia say @ facebook & Twitter : "The worlds most anticipated and fastest gaming technology ever created"

Some more recent news btw:

Xbitlabs
*Lower-Cost Fermi Graphics Processors Due in the Middle of the Year.

Techreport
* Nvidia to prioritize bigger partners for GF100 launch
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:12 AM   #148
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_be View Post
Whoah ! The GTX 480 ~ as fast as a HD5970 o.O If that is true, that would be totally epic ! A single GPU, beating a dual one. It could be because why would Nvidia say @ facebook & Twitter : "The worlds most anticipated and fastest gaming technology ever created"

Some more recent news btw:

Xbitlabs
*Lower-Cost Fermi Graphics Processors Due in the Middle of the Year.

Techreport
* Nvidia to prioritize bigger partners for GF100 launch
Where did you get that it would be as fast as a 5970.....no one....not even Rollo has claimed that.

Charlie wrote that it would be faster in "tessellation limited situations" do you now what tessellation is? How many games use tessellation to date?

Also saying something is the "fastest technology" doesn't mean that it produces the best frame rates or image quality. Fastest @ what? DP precision? Tessellation? doesn't really qualify the statement does it.

I wish people would stick to the facts, of which there are none, and just stfu until we see some actual benches of cards in the field....or the NDA lifts and people in the know can let us peons in on the scoop.
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:26 AM   #149
Enrico_be

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565049/gef...e-gtx-285.html

"Donanimhaber.com talked with reliable source about GeForce GTX 470 and GeForce GTX 480. According to article, performance of GeForce GTX 470 will be better than GeForce GTX 285 (20-25%), performance of GeForce GTX 480 will be closely with ATi Radeon HD 5970."

I am allowed to dream, ain't I ?
Old 02-25-10, 11:59 AM   #150
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That won't be a great response to the GTX480 because:
1. 5970s rely on driver profiles ATi has to create. They're usually MIA when games launch.
Starting from Catalyst 10.2 onwards,the crossfire profiles can be updated seperately from the actual drivers themselves,so if a new game does launch and the drivers don't have a profile for it,an updated profile package will be available to download within a couple of days.

Quote:
2. Scaling is variable, so performance with multi GPU cards is a mixed bag.
That i can agree with fully,it takes games that are mainly memory bandwith and or raw fillrate limited to see the best performance scaling,but GPU's are getting so freaky fast anyhow,that even the fastest CPU's are holding them back in almost every case...Here's an example than can be compared with the info i linked in my last post:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1704729

X23313 score,and that was with the cards not being overclocked,which when they were,only increased the final result 800 points,and this is with a 4Ghz i7 920 chip backing it up,so it doesn't get much faster than that while remaining stable for everyday use....I need a gulftown 6 core Cpu to get an even higher score at the extreme settings of 3D mark vantage.

Quote:
3. Purists will point to "microstutter" as the factor that prevents them from buying multiGPU
I've seen it happen,but it can only happen when the frame rate hits pretty low levels anyhow(think 30~40 FPS),as each seperate frame gets rendered fairly slowly,and variations from frame to frame in render time are more aparent,hence it microstutters,but in most cases,i'm doing a lot closer to 100 Fps in average performance,which means each frame averages out at 10 miliseconds,or 1/100th of a second on average....You'd have to have a pretty mean set of eyeballs to notice rendering time variations in each frame,the kind of eyesight that would make a eagle proud basically....

Quote:
4. Variance in functionality of vsynch and triple buffering with multi GPU
This i'm finding hard to understand the meaning of,since i actually keep Vsynch enabled on all games,primarily to avoid screen tearing,as the card can spit out so many frames so fast,that the LCD panel can't keep up basically,as well as i can't say i've noticed anything off with triple buffering so far either.

Quote:
OTOH. it would be nice (although surprising to me) if the GTX480 is as fast as a HD5970. I expect them to be faster than 5870s, but that would be a leap forward in performance beyond any prior. 5970s are very fast cards.

We'll see when the reviews finally come out i guess,but if it isn't as fast and Nvidia needs a dual Fermi card to really beat it,then despite all the perceived flaws with Multi GPU setups you listed above,it will be their 4th Dual GPU card and if you exclude 3dfx,they were the first company to introduce multi GPU setups using seperate cards...Something to think about

Dual GPU cards list as---> 7950 GX2--->9800GX2--->GTX295--->possible fermi?

They basically made just as many dual GPU cards as ATI did so far,if we exclude an card ATI released in 1999~2000 called the rage fury maxx(dual rage 128 graphics chips),and it only worked with windows 98 anyhow.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 12:18 PM   #151
shadow001

Seems that turkish article was translated better,and here's what it says:

http://vr-zone.com/forums/565476/-ru...ing-etc.-.html

Ouch if the pricing is accurate,and the performance of the GTX480 is only slightly above the HD5870 cards,and Nvidia want 600$ for it,while the GTX470 is between the HD5850 and HD5870 cards,and they still want 500$ for it.
Old 02-25-10, 12:27 PM   #152
Enrico_be

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

Ouch if the pricing is accurate,and the performance of the GTX480 is only slightly above the HD5870 cards,and Nvidia want 600$ for it,while the GTX470 is between the HD5850 and HD5870 cards,and they still want 500$ for it.
Aaaw that would be very sad if true :/ If that is correct, I'd might end up buying an ATI card and a lot of my friends 2 ... I'm still gonna wait until the end of March before I decide

Old 02-25-10, 12:33 PM   #153
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Me personally I'm adopting a wait and see attitude. All these rumors and stuff are getting to me. Ultimately I'm sure it will be as good or better than a 5870. Remember Darth has seen these and he's been impressed. I know he's doing a project but still he seems like a good guy so obviously they perform well. But again price is the biggest thing to me. I'm not paying $600 when I could pay $400 or less for a 5870. So please please please NVIDIA do the right thing and price them competitively.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 12:37 PM   #154
lee63
Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post

Wow...pricing and performance seem to change by the day. Rollo shed some light here, at least tell us if this is true...the 5870 isn't looking pale if this is correct.

I was planning on maybe getting a couple of theses on launch....but no way will I pay an extra $200 for slightly better performance.....are they out of their f**king mind
Old 02-25-10, 12:44 PM   #155
shadow001

Seems that ROG edition of the HD5970 ARES that asus is going to release does use a custom PCB,just like the GTX295 MARS edition also did,as the board layout is different compared to the standard card,and it's also taller and uses 4 phase VRM's,while the stock card uses 3 phase.

I also has 3 PCI-e power plugs rather than 2,and the cooler is a 2 1/2 slot design,so 2 of these cards can't be used in all X58 crossfire boards,only on some of them(2 slot spacing between PCI-e slots required),the output's are diferent too

The special edition Ares above:

Stock version.
Old 02-25-10, 12:45 PM   #156
kesker01

As a turkish i wouldnt say their source is reliable at all.

It is stated that dual gpu Fermi is made up from gtx470.

GTX470 %25 faster than gtx285
GTX480 as fast as 5970

A 5970 is about 2 times faster than a gtx285,so the dual gpu Fermi will be about the same speed with gtx480 in good scaling conditions.It may exceed gtx480 near perfect scaling conditions.

So it doesnt make sense to make a dual gpu card which is as fast as their single gpu card in most cases.

My conclusion about their "rumor" is :
kesker01 is offline   Reply With Quote