Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-10, 03:32 PM   #1
Chintoo

Default X server 1.6.5-r1 does not start with 173.14.25 drivers (nvidia.ko no such device)

Greetings!

A beginner user on Linux here. ^^
Used only Ubuntu before, for a short period of time and have been messing around with Gentoo now for a few days.
Fun-fun it takes me back to when I got my first computer with only some DOS diskettes... ~grin~

Enough of that and on to the problem!
Which is similar to the problem described in the thread: Error inserting nvidia (nvidia.ko) which seems to lack a result.

After initiating startx, the screen goes black for a little while and next, the following error message(s) can be read:

Code:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.31-gentoo-r6/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have usable configuration.

Fatal server error: no screens found
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
First of all, the file does exist, so I guess it's not about a missing file. ^^;
The peculiar thing is, that this only happens with the driver version 173.14.25 while 96.43.16 version does work without any changes.
Graphics card in the particular box being FX5500 limits me to use these legacy drivers with it.

Now, I've read a lot of threads about it, tried a lot of stuff to make a difference, to the extent that at one point, the driver installation would not be able to build the kernel module, whatever version used and up until to my SATA drive not being recognized and after that, the file system...and yet, somehow I managed to get it all work, without starting all over again! \o/

Everything except them 173-drivers. I am now at the point where I really want to try and take an advantage of this forum, and perhaps help someone else as well for a future record.

Attached the Xorg-log with a few nvidia-bug-reports and as I mentioned, still a beginner and I know there are a lot of commands that can get more info out but I tend to forget most of them still so if there's anything more I can do, please, do tell.

I think that is all, for now.
Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0-1.log (9.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log1.gz (30.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log2.gz (29.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log3.gz (29.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log4.gz (29.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-22-10, 03:40 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: X server 1.6.5-r1 does not start with 173.14.25 drivers (nvidia.ko no such device

I'm not sure how, but you're ending up with the kernel module 190.42 loaded instead of the one from 173.14.25:
Quote:
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 GPU installed in this system is
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA 173.14.xx Legacy drivers. Please
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: information. The 190.42 NVIDIA driver will ignore
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
Feb 22 22:44:25 commodorel kernel: NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!
Please either use your distribution's driver packages, or make sure you've uninstalled those packages completely before using the .run installer. If you have dkms installed, please make sure that the nvidia driver is not being overwritten by that.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 03:50 PM   #3
Chintoo

Default Re: X server 1.6.5-r1 does not start with 173.14.25 drivers (nvidia.ko no such device

Thank you for the swift reply!

I actually noticed that as well, was not really sure what it was all about but I did indeed put a lot of care into getting the new version out.

But it somehow still chokes that 190 out, a bit puzzled about it I have been. I think I installed the 190 drivers kind of accidentally via Portage, AFTER I had tried the 173 ones the first time. I then noticed the exact messages you have pointed out and unmerged them and used the .run installers --uninstall options as well, trying to do everything I could thing of to make sure all other drivers are out...

Hm, well I will look into it some more.

If I remember right, there are only 190~ version available (except for the non-proprietary drivers) and the older versions are hard masked it seems, which means they can break the system which does not sound too promising. ~cough~

Either way, I will look more into getting rid of the newer drivers.
Still a little confuddled about the 96~ drivers not having the same problem...

Thanks again!
Old 02-23-10, 08:07 AM   #4
Chintoo

Well, after fiddling around a bit and finding out how to get "hidden" stuff from the portage, I installed the 173.14.22 version from it but this only got me more and different kind of errors, such as it would collide with some files like the module from 96 version drivers (which I uninstalled prior to the 173 installation), and some other stuff.

Need to put some time into the settings and such, will update with what becomes of it all.

Thanks.