Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-10, 01:48 PM   #13
preacher35

Default Re: All rumors and FUD at this point !

I'm new here and this is my first post on this board. But all of this conjecture on the new Fermi cards motivated me to give my position. I have been an Nvidia die-hard enthusiast for years and years: MX4000, FX5200, 6600GT, 7800GTX, 8800GTX SLI, GTX 285.... This time, however, I'm not so sure. I never, in my wildest imagination thought that I would find myself actually considering an ATI card. It almost seems sacrilegious. But, the only reason I found this board is exactly the reason that I feel that Nvidia has blown it this time. I'm only here because I have been in the market for a new GPU for two months now and I cannot get much, IF ANY data on the Fermi cards. I found this site and thought FOR SURE, that I would find more data. Wrong. Here's my take: Right now, Nvidia is losing HUGE market share to ATI in the discrete GPU market. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Nvidia's ultimate goal is to make money and build capital. In the current economic climate, if they truly had an amazing product on the verge of launching, they would be releasing all kinds of data to dissuade people like myself from dropping their dollars on ATI GPU's. A couple of years ago, I was in a financial position to be able to drop $1,200.00 on a couple of GPU's for SLI. Now, forget it. So, do I go out and drop $390.00 on a proven XFX 5870 which will handily run any game out there for the next two years, OR, do I wait another three to four weeks and hope that Nvidia, has some strange secret plan to release reasonably priced GPU's that will kick the snot out of the 5xxx series of cards. I am now extremely pessimistic on this. I think if Nvidia really had the horsepower on the new cards, they would be saving market share and screaming numbers from the rooftops. I have always loved Nvidia, but I'm not so sure any more. Any thoughts?
preacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 02:00 PM   #14
grey_1

Welcome to the forums preacher...One thing we know is that March 26th is the officially announced launch date.

As much as I would like to upgrade right now, another few weeks isn't that long to wait, so i'll be doing just that.

That said, if 5870's suddenly drop in price by 20-30% or more, I'll only be able to guess they got their hands on some legitimate info...and will make my decision accordingly.
Old 02-26-10, 02:52 PM   #15
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Even if the 480GTX performs on par with a 5870 would anyone in his right mind expect from an Nvidia PR person to openly admit to it 1 month before launch.

Best thing is to wait and see.
Intel Core i7 4770K|Thermalright True Spirit 120|Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC|2x8GB Kingston DDR3 2400MHz|Evga Geforce 780Ti SC 3GB|Samsung SSD 830 256GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair AX1200i PSU|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|AKASA Eclipse 62 case|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 8.1 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 03:09 PM   #16
preacher35

"On par"? On Par is adequate but not stellar. Which is my exactly my point. Those of us who work in the market understand that when you have a product about to come out that will squash your main competitor, you release that data to save market share and build up interest and demand. That makes for fantastic PR. To keep it in the dark for months, while YOUR CHIEF COMPETITOR takes market share, builds brand trust and capital, is economic lunacy in this climate.... unless of course, your product is just "on par". Because, if it is just "on par" then rumors and secrecy is ALL that you've got to work with. Now, if the 400 series cards are amazing and reasonably priced, well, I know that I will eat crow. But, if that is the case, then the Nvidia marketing people should be filing for unemployment....
Old 02-26-10, 05:00 PM   #17
josiahsuarez

"amazing" and "reasonably priced" are mutually exclusive terms.
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 05:42 PM   #18
preacher35

Quote:
"amazing" and "reasonably priced" are mutually exclusive terms.
Yes, good point... so let me clarify: by "reasonably priced", I'm referring to price-points competitive with their respective markets... or in other words, priced to compete. I understand that Nvidia can price their products at any amount that they wish. However, to compete in the American market (which is currently in a deep recession) they have to compete with ATI/AMD and thus competitively price their cards at or near the competitor's comparable market niche product. Granted, Nvidia's descrete GPU market is only a portion of their annual revenue, the GeForce series is still their name brand flagship; it's what defines them as a hardware producer. If they do not competitively price their cards this time around, their gonna lose a TON of their enthusiast market. And based on what I've read on this and other forums, THEY ALREADY ARE! Two years ago, I would have TOTALLY disagreed with what I just stated. But, I am a microcosm of the situation: a die-hard loyal Nvidia GPU enthusiast, whom is feeling the affects of the slow economy and am weighing the pros and cons of switching brands for the time being. I can assure you that those people out their buying their first vid card will be a hundred times more likely to go with the less expensive brand which is CURRENTLY available, then myself. I hope that I am wrong... but in these matters, I'm usually not.
Old 02-26-10, 08:34 PM   #19
SignorSalad
Yarrr!

Preacher, like you, I have been solidly green team since a bad experience with a radeon 9700 way back. Very recently I came to the same conclusions you are struggling with and find myself with a new 5870 in my system as of a few days ago, replacing what seems like a now ancient 8800gtx-sli setup.

One thing I never concerned myself with before when making a vid card purchase was the idle and load power consumption of the card. Sticker shock power bills have made me look for improvements in power usage for most all of the devices, lights, and appliances in my house. I finally decided that even if the 480 is fast enough to handily beat the 5870, its probably going to have an extremely hard time coming close to its fantastic power consumption profile if there is even a kernel of truth to the rumors and FUD. Once I reached this point, I figured why wait and went ahead and ordered the 5870.

About that power usage: I have a lynnfield i7 with speedstep enabled in addition to the new 5870. I almost couldn't believe it when I looked, but my whole system now measures 66-75 watts @ idle or light use - as measured from the load on the UPS that only has the system plugged into it. At load during crysis or unigine dx11 its around ~190watts. The same system with the 8800gtx-sli setup was idling at 160-170 and was well over 300 watts at load sometimes getting near 400. Not only did this thing cut the power usage of my main system by ~50%+, I'm getting a cooler computer room to boot. No small thing in Florida.

I'm still getting used to the red teams product, but I'm beyond thrilled at the power savings, while at the same time getting enough raw power to handle pretty much anything I ask of it. I find it highly ironic that the red team has the "greener" product line right now. If nVidia comes out with something that just blows away the 5870 but also has the same sort of power profile count me in, but right now, I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-26-10, 10:19 PM   #20
preacher35

Quote:
I'm still getting used to the red teams product, but I'm beyond thrilled at the power savings, while at the same time getting enough raw power to handle pretty much anything I ask of it. I find it highly ironic that the red team has the "greener" product line right now. If nVidia comes out with something that just blows away the 5870 but also has the same sort of power profile count me in, but right now, I just don't see it happening.
Also an excellent point, SignorSalad. Yes, for you being in Florida, and myself in Texas, the power consumption = heat = higher electric bill, is an important economic factor to consider. I am, admittedly, glad that you disclosed the power savings that you are getting with your 5870. It makes it that much more attractive choice for myself and damn well nearly convinces me to go ahead and get the 5870.

Old 02-27-10, 02:18 AM   #21
josiahsuarez

guys, I'm becoming afraid. I'm also uncertain and doubtful. I mean, we'll see how things turn out, hopefully these new nevidia thingies will be great, but the way things are looking that seems fearfully and uncertainly doubtful.
josiahsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 04:49 AM   #22
preacher35

Ahhhh, do not be afraid. If the Fermi cards turn out to be awesome, then great. If they turn out to be flops, well... that's what makes competition good for the consumer. Nvidia will work harder to do better on the next go. If it wasn't for competition, there would literally be no motivation for technological advancement nor innovation... This is a good thing.
Old 02-27-10, 04:57 AM   #23
Enrico_be

We must have faith in our green team !

I say that all will be surprisingly good after the launch date Yes, they are late and yes there are a lot of rumors but only Nvidia knows what Fermi is worth. If it beats the fastest single ATI GPU such as the HD5870 I will be very happy and it is likely that will be the case
Enrico_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 07:50 AM   #24
Iruwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher35 View Post
Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, Nvidia's ultimate goal is to make money and build capital.
That's true for any company on the world, including ATI.
I don't think Nvidia is really worried about ATI, so I wouldn't be too sure about their intentions concerning the long lasting NDA. Their sales in the discrete desktop graphics market increased by 19% (from 11/09 to 01/10 as compared to the previous quarter) and their profit by 22% (to a total of more than 130 million dollars). There's nothing to worry about.
The enthusiast market isn't really important for overall sales, that one's just for prestige.
Iruwen is offline   Reply With Quote