Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-10, 12:57 PM   #25
LurkerLito

Default Re: Heavy Rain

Finished this game a couple of times by redoing the last chapter and I have to say the story was interesting and I like the multiple endings that can happen. It does play very much like an 3D adventure game, in the sense that you have control about what you are looking for or interacting with, but all the actions especially story affecting ones are pretty much predetermined QTEs. If you liked the old Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Last crusade/fate of atlantis, Space Quest, King's Quest, like games you will probably like this game. Though if you dislike QTEs it can be a toss up. The QTEs are not difficult but I still find them annoying. Some require mashing a button/shaking the controller with multiple buttons held down.

Talking about multiple endings now so spoilers ahead :

I finished where everyone survived and one or two people died at the end and where the killer survived and where the killer also died and my favorite is the one where the killer lives at the end cause the "A Mother's revenge" epilogue I felt more appropriate than the Grave sequence of her spitting on the grave.

I also prefer the end where Ethan dies because it sets up Madison for a possible sequel while the everyone lives happily ever after ending was not as satisfying and ignores what happened to the Sean's real mom. I just couldn't buy the fact that Sean would go live with Madison and Ethan without having a serious custody fight with the Ethan's first wife.

Jaden's endings living and dead were both weird, I didn't really like either. And the whole news cast about almost solving the case himself and him being a hero was a bit much. I should let him take the drugs earlier so he could have ODed in the stall . That weird Virtual world ending thing was just terrible.

After seeing all that I am unsure if it is worth playing again to see how some earlier events would affect the endings. For this kind of game I am not liking that I can't copy the save games. I was going to make a copy to a USB stick then play around from certain spots while saving, but it won't let me. That is screwed up IMO, if they want to lock the saves from being distributed lock it to the user account not a specific machine. That kind of kills the replay value for me cause I really don't feel like starting from the beginning to save changes. It's a good game I wouldn't call it ground breaking more of an evolution to the Adventure game genre.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 01:26 AM   #26
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
That kind of kills the replay value for me cause I really don't feel like starting from the beginning to save changes.
You can start the game from what ever chapter you want, there is no need to start from beginning.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 09:58 AM   #27
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
You can start the game from what ever chapter you want, there is no need to start from beginning.
Yes but if you use the save option it changes what choices you made and can affect the rest of the chapters which will be inconsistent until you play through them from the chapter you saved changes to. Maybe I am overthinking it cause of Mass Effect, I like how I ended my game so I'd hate to find out that the next Heavy Rain would take some of my choices into consideration but because I was screwing around it couldn't use the ending I liked to start the next game. So what I wanted to do was to just keep a copy stored on a USB stick, but since I can't backup the save the only real option is to leave the one I finished alone and start a new game from the beginning.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 12:11 PM   #28
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes but if you use the save option it changes what choices you made and can affect the rest of the chapters which will be inconsistent until you play through them from the chapter you saved changes to. Maybe I am overthinking it cause of Mass Effect, I like how I ended my game so I'd hate to find out that the next Heavy Rain would take some of my choices into consideration but because I was screwing around it couldn't use the ending I liked to start the next game. So what I wanted to do was to just keep a copy stored on a USB stick, but since I can't backup the save the only real option is to leave the one I finished alone and start a new game from the beginning.
I think David Cage (Writer/Director) said there are no plans on a sequel. Only prequel DLC stuff. So have no fears .

BTW, did anybody here play the first DLC? Think it was supposed to be released yesterday but I forgot... still haven't downloaded it yet.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 03:58 AM   #29
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Quote:
No that is not true, if u complete the game and lets say everyone survives u can then just go back to that chapter that can have multiple decisions upon the end, and everytime you complete with a different ending you will unlock new epilogues in the list and if you want the platinum trophy you have to get all possible endings for all characters and this can be done on 1 save bit you can have 2 or 3 saves too and still get it as the game saves and remembers what endings you get.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 03:01 PM   #30
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I just finished one play through of Heavy Rain. Easily one of the best adventure games I've played. I had my family visiting and I chucked it on for a bit. They were pretty floored at the theme of the game. I think they though all games were killing, shooting, jumping, driving. We were pretty much cheering Ethan and Jayden on at the end.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote