Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-10, 04:24 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: Almost all Ubisoft titles to use Internet-based DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Good for you.

But I think we'll just see a pretty straight forward port this time. The previous GRAW PC version were quite different compared to the 3rd persons console junk.
So 3rd Person = Junk? Personally I liked the console versions alot, I did like the PC version but the engine was horrible and other then the first GRAW for the PC they haven't done anything else above budget title level.
Old 03-01-10, 04:29 PM   #14
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Rather give them a fight then just let them have their way with the game without a struggle. Not like they would go "oh no DRM, I guess I should buy it!"
that's the thing tho, average joe who buys his games will continue to buy his games just as pirates will continue to pirate theirs.

publishers are not winning over any hearts by employing intrusive Drm's.

This brings me back to when i bought Lost planet for pc.
At the time I had no connection at home so i figured i'd go out and buy a game I could enjoy in single play. I didn't look close enough on the box to notice the steam requirement.

Turns out, the game would not install anything unless i had steam so I had to carry my computer over to a friend to have it installed, else i could have just brought a usb memory stick. I figured i'd put steam in offline mode and play. Good thing i tried it before i went home again as it turned out it didn't work offline (was later fixed with a patch)

So i had no choice then to download a crack to play my game.
That's the kinda **** you don't want to deal with when you go down to the game store and pickup a hard copy of a game. Now it doesn't really matter anymore but I was pretty pissed at the time
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:34 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
No DRM has ever affected me.
true,
Old 03-01-10, 04:35 PM   #16
jcossin
-=> Indy <=-

I totally agree.

I bought Risen, took him home and installed it only to have it keep complaining that I didn't have the original DVD in the drive, BUT I DID!

So I had to venture over to gamecopyworld.com and grab a crack to play the game I bought legitimately. Lame!!

http://www.greetingcardsgirl.com - Check out the weekly Free Sale list posted every Sunday.

Asus G71Gx Laptop
nVidia 260m GTX 1GB DDR3
Intel Core2Duo P8700 (2.53GHz)
6GB 800MHz DDR2
64GB Corsair Xtreme SSD
500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
17" 1440 x 900 WXGA+ LCD
Windows 7 64-bit
jcossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:50 PM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
that's the thing tho, average joe who buys his games will continue to buy his games just as pirates will continue to pirate theirs.

publishers are not winning over any hearts by employing intrusive Drm's.

This brings me back to when i bought Lost planet for pc.
At the time I had no connection at home so i figured i'd go out and buy a game I could enjoy in single play. I didn't look close enough on the box to notice the steam requirement.

Turns out, the game would not install anything unless i had steam so I had to carry my computer over to a friend to have it installed, else i could have just brought a usb memory stick. I figured i'd put steam in offline mode and play. Good thing i tried it before i went home again as it turned out it didn't work offline (was later fixed with a patch)

So i had no choice then to download a crack to play my game.
That's the kinda **** you don't want to deal with when you go down to the game store and pickup a hard copy of a game. Now it doesn't really matter anymore but I was pretty pissed at the time
So you bought a game before reading the system requirements? Your fault, not the developers/publishers. The box clearly stated that an Internet connection was required.
Old 03-01-10, 05:13 PM   #18
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Quote:
So you bought a game before reading the system requirements? Your fault, not the developers/publishers. The box clearly stated that an Internet connection was required.
it's actually in pretty small print. But yeah, it was my fault for not looking carefully enough. Then again i didn't expect it either so it wasn't something i was looking out for at the time. I just wanted to play a cool game after trying it on the 360 at a friends place.

It's just a bit of a bad approach I think.
Don't get me wrong tho, I do like steam and have quite a few games there. But if i buy a game on disc, imo it should be playable as is.

The idea of a redeemable code for some dlc in the box is a much better idea imo. If you buy your stuff you get something pirates don't so it's a way to actually reward your customers for their loyalty
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:20 AM   #19
K007

Quote:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/01/sp...to-use-intern/

Sounds like they trust this DRM alot, lets hope it works out for them. Less piracy on their major releases might mean better support for the platform.
The only thing i see good about this is that "Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands" is going to be on PC !!! WOOOT lol
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:57 AM   #20
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Here is a great blog post from an indie developer on the Ubi DRM: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/...that-will.html. His basic arguement is that this could work, this could delay piracy for months, and he explains why.

Read all the way to the bottom, the final paragraphs are some of the most interesting.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-10, 01:20 PM   #21
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
In this case, yes. 3rd person with or without a cover system doesn't work for tactical shooters.
But see... GRAW proves you wrong.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-02-10, 01:21 PM   #22
|MaguS|

GRAWs were not like the originals at all. Oh and if you ever played any of the originals online then you would know that most people played them in the 3rd person due to being able to see your enviroment better.
Old 03-02-10, 03:04 PM   #23
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
I don't like the GRAW games that much, because they're not like the originals.
I've never understood why that matters. A good game is a good game.

Old 03-02-10, 03:10 PM   #24
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970

Quote:
No DRM has ever affected me.
Remember Starforce?
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8GHz|Corsair H50|MSI X58 Platinum|3x2GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 7-8-7-20|Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB windforce|Samsung SSD 830 256GB/Intel SSD X25M 80GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair TX 750W|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|Silverstone Grandia GD-01 MX Black|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 7 x64 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote