Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-07-10, 08:33 AM   #61
Lfctony

Default Re: Almost all Ubisoft titles to use Internet-based DRM

BTW NZ, the image was meant as a joke...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:18 AM   #62
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
BTW NZ, the image was meant as a joke...
I wasn't responding to you, more the people that made it and the people who blindly follow it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:52 AM   #63
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Also, of course, Steam IS DRM.
But for most it is an acceptable form of DRM. That is the key word. Ubisoft's always connected DRM to me is more detestable than limited activations. Even limited activation type DRM I hate I still would buy if it has an easy way to deactivate it and it's cheap enough to overcome my inconvenience factor. Always connected DRM is unacceptable unless they gave it to me for free for single player games. Cloud saves don't care, social features and achievements I care even less. If it is not a MMO or multiplayer only game it shouldn't, other than to verify ownership the first time, need to ever be connected to the net. I'd be against steam also if it didn't offer the offline mode, which BTW I have only used about 3 times total since it came out, but that is because my ISP (FiOS) rocks. If I had to for some reason move to a location that only had one of these crappy providers that limit bandwidth usage or had piss poor service, then I'd probably use offline mode all the time. Personally I wish Valve would take a stand and say no other DRM but steamworks or you can't sell your games on Steam. That way at least everything on steam would be consistent.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:39 AM   #64
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
But for most it is an acceptable form of DRM. That is the key word. Ubisoft's always connected DRM to me is more detestable than limited activations.
I just don't get that... the main issue with DRM is access to your game and limited activations/Steam/Ubi all limit your access. At least with Ubi there is no limit on the number of PCs and they have promised to patch it out... that makes it somewhat better if you ask me.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-08-10, 08:08 AM   #65
hapooh

Appears UBISoft's DRM servers are down for extended period of time...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ames-unplaya/1
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:12 AM   #66
|MaguS|

Not something you should be asking on this forum.
Old 03-08-10, 09:14 AM   #67
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh View Post
Appears UBISoft's DRM servers are down for extended period of time...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ames-unplaya/1
http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/03/...server-attack/

Quote:
In a statement sent to VG247.com Ubisoft stated that because of the attack, " . . . service was limited from 2:30PM to 9PM Paris time. 95 [percent] of players were not affected, but a small group of players attempting to open a game session did receive denial of service errors. All player with an open session during the attack were not affected." That 95 percent claims doesn't quite jibe with the tons of people complaining about their issues with the DRM in the Silent Hunter 5 and Assassin's Creed 2 forums.
Seems like its not really Ubisofts fault but that of angry anti-DRM people.
Old 03-08-10, 09:17 AM   #68
LurkerLito

Quote:
I just don't get that... the main issue with DRM is access to your game and limited activations/Steam/Ubi all limit your access. At least with Ubi there is no limit on the number of PCs and they have promised to patch it out... that makes it somewhat better if you ask me.
The whole problem with Ubisoft's system, it severely limits your access to the game constantly, not just at install, or when it checks if you legitimately own the game. Once installed and activated, you are not limited anymore by the limited activation type DRM on the PC you installed and activated on. Sure it can be a pain if you upgrade your hardware or software or install it to another PC, but once done you can play the game. Same with Steam once in offline mode, you can play on your PC with no restriction for single player games. Ubisoft's system you are always limited in access and that access can be denied even when you are already verified as legit and in the middle of playing the game. Your access can be revoked at any time by no fault of your own (net went down cause a tree 2 blocks away fell down or Ubi's servers went down). A phenomenally horrible system and absolutely the worst of the bunch.

The whole idea that no limits on the number of PCs you can install the game on for Ubi's system is a feature doesn't make sense to me. You can put it on any number of PCs but can't play it unless you are tethered with a net connection. So it's pointless if you are traveling and won't have net access, or will have net access but with severe limits or costs associated. Having a single player game installed but unplayable because of net access restrictions is not a feature but a design flaw.

As far as promising to patch it out, they may have said on internet posts and articles but I have yet to read a contract or EULA that clearly states they will. The last I read about them "promising" was an employee trying to evade the question by saying things like, we expect that the service will be running still when AC7 comes out, then only when pressed saying something like yeah we will, that read as very disingenuous. Even Valve who has said it for years that they'd remove Steam's DRM if they go out of business has an out and it's written in the EULA (Steam Subscriber Agreement) Section 13c part 2 - "Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase."

The only way you should believe that they will patch it out is if they have it written down in at least a semi-legal contract like the EULA. It's like that because if a company is going out of business the LAST thing they will ever want to do is spend money to remove something like DRM.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-10, 09:41 AM   #69
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

can't imagine people defending Ubi on this...

their server is down. I don't care what caused that and they say only 5% affected???
you have a server and you have to deal with DDoS attacks from internet.

blaming it on something just like you tell your teacher my dog ate my homework.
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:15 AM   #70
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richteralan View Post
can't imagine people defending Ubi on this...

their server is down. I don't care what caused that and they say only 5% affected???
you have a server and you have to deal with DDoS attacks from internet.

blaming it on something just like you tell your teacher my dog ate my homework.
I'm pretty sure both are liable, but you have to admit it is hillarious that to protest Ubisoft restricting access to a game, hackers take away paying customers' access to the game.

Old 03-08-10, 10:19 AM   #71
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
The only way you should believe that they will patch it out is if they have it written down in at least a semi-legal contract like the EULA. It's like that because if a company is going out of business the LAST thing they will ever want to do is spend money to remove something like DRM.
I believe it more from Ubi because they have patched out DRM before, most recently their activation stuff from games like Farcry 2.

As for the rest of your post, it's all the same DRM-free movement stuff. I get it, I really do, and I would love for things to be DRM-free. Unfortunately, our platform is being slaughtered for offline games, something needs to be done. The best thing to do is find DRM that WORKS, and that does not hinder the customer much.

Online required for a year or so, then patch it out, could satisfy that.

Old 03-08-10, 10:38 AM   #72
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure both are liable, but you have to admit it is hillarious that to protest Ubisoft restricting access to a game, hackers take away paying customers' access to the game.
i hope you understand there are something that you can't make them disappear.

like piracy, hackers, stupidity, blind loyalty, etc...

instead of concentrating on the impossibles, how about we turn around and do things in that direction?

P.S. before anybody calling me a pirate, I buy ALL my games from gogamer/amazon.
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote