Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-10, 06:08 PM   #37
ViN86

Default Re: Something going down at Infinity Ward...literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
These guys are really on the upward greed cycle - higher margins, less value, screw the customer for as much as possible. This will go on for a few years until a "new" management trend "emerges" and the focus will shift to greater customer satisfaction, better value in products etc, and that will be the downward cycle.

well I hope it comes full circle.

It's just as shame because up until 2 months before MW2 was released, infinity ward were one of the good guys. They were probably my favorite developer. Now I just feeling ramming Robert Bowling's shiney little head up the ass of a camel.
It will. MW2 sold so much because of it's name. In terms of content, it doesn't offer an awful lot. The majority of the game is the "WOW" factor, but after that, what is there?

Game studios will continue to try and squeeze as much as possible out of games while putting as little as possible into it, but eventually the games won't sell at all.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 07:36 PM   #38
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
It will. MW2 sold so much because of it's name. In terms of content, it doesn't offer an awful lot. The majority of the game is the "WOW" factor, but after that, what is there?

Game studios will continue to try and squeeze as much as possible out of games while putting as little as possible into it, but eventually the games won't sell at all.
agreed. less we forget the mockery that activision made of the guitar hero franchise? guitar hero 2 (similar to cod4), guitar hero 3 (mw2 type numbers) then they attempted to milk the cow too soon and we got that pos world tour (which i can only assume will be similar in sales to the subscription based mw). from there on out, your looking at aerosmith and van halen... nobody cares.

this is just another franchise i see activision putting in the grave.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 07:49 PM   #39
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

A lot of people underestimate the importance of the singleplayer campaign and I will tell you MW2's sucked compared to the original.

I bet MW3 sells a decent amount less based on that alone.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:45 AM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Activision and Infinity Ward have both been publicly quiet about what happened between the two companies yesterday. It can, however, be confirmed that both heads of the studio, president Jason West and CEO Vince Zampella, have confirmed they're no longer with Infinity Ward. Confirmation of their departure comes through updates to each individual's Linkedin account. According to a report from BingeGamer, Activision has not paid royalties to Infinity Ward over the success of Modern Warfare 2. Sure, Infinity Ward is owned by Activision. Whatever the reason for the falling out, it seems that the two execs, West and Zampella were unceremoniously fired. Speculation is, they felt the studio didn't fairly receive revenue from Modern Warfare 2's success and this article seems to bear truth to this.

In addition, this press release confirms that Infinity Ward is developing two downloadable expansions Modern Warfare 2 that will be released later this year. An all new Call of Duty game from developer Treyarch will be released in the fall of 2010 but no setting was announced. In 2011 another new Call of Duty game will be released but no developer for that game was revealed. The publisher also confirmed that yet another Call of Duty game is in the works at the newly formed Sledgehammer Games developer, formed by the former leaders of EA's Visceral Games. Sledgehammer's Call of Duty game will be an action-adventure title rather than a first person shooter but no release date was announced. In addition, Activision is chatting with a number of unnamed partners to bring a Call of Duty game to Asian countries, presumably as an online-only game.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=28606

i really wish COD would fail in near future. to bad that there are masses of consumer idiots that keep buying **** just because of brand name
Old 03-03-10, 03:01 AM   #41
K007

Think MW1 was the last good CoD game to come out on PC. Its over for the CoD series on the PC.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 03:34 AM   #42
Retrolock

I think World At War was pretty good too. It's just MW2 just took a nosedive to hell
Old 03-03-10, 09:06 AM   #43
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Activision and Infinity Ward have both been publicly quiet about what happened between the two companies yesterday. It can, however, be confirmed that both heads of the studio, president Jason West and CEO Vince Zampella, have confirmed they're no longer with Infinity Ward. Confirmation of their departure comes through updates to each individual's Linkedin account. According to a report from BingeGamer, Activision has not paid royalties to Infinity Ward over the success of Modern Warfare 2. Sure, Infinity Ward is owned by Activision. Whatever the reason for the falling out, it seems that the two execs, West and Zampella were unceremoniously fired. Speculation is, they felt the studio didn't fairly receive revenue from Modern Warfare 2's success and this article seems to bear truth to this.

In addition, this press release confirms that Infinity Ward is developing two downloadable expansions Modern Warfare 2 that will be released later this year. An all new Call of Duty game from developer Treyarch will be released in the fall of 2010 but no setting was announced. In 2011 another new Call of Duty game will be released but no developer for that game was revealed. The publisher also confirmed that yet another Call of Duty game is in the works at the newly formed Sledgehammer Games developer, formed by the former leaders of EA's Visceral Games. Sledgehammer's Call of Duty game will be an action-adventure title rather than a first person shooter but no release date was announced. In addition, Activision is chatting with a number of unnamed partners to bring a Call of Duty game to Asian countries, presumably as an online-only game.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=28606

i really wish COD would fail in near future. to bad that there are masses of consumer idiots that keep buying **** just because of brand name
WOW, they didn't give the IW execs a bonus after the huge success of the game? That's bull****.

I may not think the game is completely amazing, but there's no reason not to reward the execs after the game sells as much as it did.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 09:18 AM   #44
rudedog
Not so Rude

1st this so called source "bingegamer" who can't get who owns IW straight in the first place goes on to say they have not received bonuses yet... Yeah, I believe what they have to say

2nd, normally bonuses | royalties are not paid out immediately. There's usually a full quarter, if not more, after said game is released before royalties are paid.

More then likely, Jason and Vince where being dicks, just like they where towards Treyarch when it came to giving them the latest code for World at War. I have a feeling they did not want to play with their new step brother sledgehammer games. Thus sledgehammer went to their dad and ratted them out. Their Dad (Activision) came in and took their cell phone (job) away..... which should have been done way back when they pissed on Treyarch.

Jason's comments to me regarding Treyarch, I have not played World at War, I don't want to play World at War and I'll never play World at War, while rolling his eyes as why would I even ask him if the next (at that time MW2) would use any of the features Treyarch developed in World at War...
BDR-202|X-Fi Fatal1ty 2.07.0004|Logitec G7-setpoint 3.1.116|Ergodex DX1-firmware 1.1-driver1.3|Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD|PCPower and Cooling TurboCool 1000 SLI|Windows 7 Ultimate|Klipsch THX 5.1
Imac: Snow Leopard|27" screen|i7 2.93|12 GB|ATI HD 5750 1G|WD 1T SATA|2xWD 2T firewire 800|Sharing Dell 24"
Laptop: MBP|2.16|2GB ram|160drive
Laptop 2: MBP Unibody|2.66|4GB ram|320drive
Camera: D700 + MB-D10 + EN-EL3e + GP1|Nikon14-24 f2.8|nikon24-70 f2.8|nikon70-200 f2.8|nikon 50 f1.4|Sigma 150-500
Car: 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purl|6 Speed|Power roof|Super Track Pack|20" classic rims|Functional ram air hood
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-10, 10:03 AM   #45
Yaboze

IMHO, the CoD series is getting old and tired.

BUT...IMHO....IW makes the best CoD titles.

Activision needs to put this Cow to pasteur. It's getting old, tired, stale.

How many freaking WWII games do we need? WWII then Modern then WWII then Modern then WWII Pacific then Modern......................
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 10:30 AM   #46
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Jason's comments to me regarding Treyarch, I have not played World at War, I don't want to play World at War and I'll never play World at War, while rolling his eyes as why would I even ask him if the next (at that time MW2) would use any of the features Treyarch developed in World at War...
You can really tell from MW2's singleplayer game it was made by people who think their crap don't stink... classic "we're so awesome" kitchen sink crapola syndrome that campaign was.

SpecOps is cool though.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:31 PM   #47
Toss3
.<<o>>.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...n-lawsuit.html

Call of Duty founders sue Activision

The founders of Call of Duty, one of the most successful video game franchises ever, are suing Activision after being forced out of their company.

Jason West and Vince Zampella, two of the founders of Encino, Calif.-based Infinity Ward, announced the lawsuit in a release on Wednesday. They said they were terminated by Activision weeks before they were set to receive royalties for their smash hit Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which has earned more than $3 billion U.S. since its November release.

"We were shocked by Activision's decision to terminate our contract," West said. "We poured our heart and soul into that company, building not only a world-class development studio, but assembling a team we've been proud to work with for nearly a decade. We think the work we've done speaks for itself."

Activision has not yet responded to the lawsuit.

The company bought Infinity Ward in 2003 and fired West and Zampella on Monday. Media reports said the decision stemmed from a dispute over the future direction of the Call of Duty franchise. Video game websites have speculated that Activision wants to greatly increase the number of Call of Duty games released while the founders instead wanted fewer titles so they could focus on quality.

Robert Schwartz, a lawyer for West and Zampella at O'Melveny & Myers, said the lawsuit is alleging breach of contract and wrongful termination, among other things.

"Instead of thanking, lauding, or just plain paying Jason and Vince for giving Activision the most successful entertainment product ever offered to the public, last month Activision hired lawyers to conduct a pretextual 'investigation' into unstated and unsubstantiated charges of 'insubordination' and 'breach of fiduciary duty,' which then became the grounds for their termination," Schwartz said in a statement.
Old 03-04-10, 05:35 PM   #48
methimpikehoses

BOOM HEADSHOT!