Administrator

Default Re: First impressions of Ubisoft's new online DRM system

FYI - TweakGuides has published an article on this topic:

http://www.tweakguides.com/AC2_1.html
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:55 AM   #14
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow_Nest View Post
It'll be ironic if the pirated version of the game plays better without any of that pop up nonsense.
Likely, wouldn't be the first time.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:56 AM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbrushkid View Post
To bad there doing that. But it was said today that it's been cracked.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/03/...ready-cracked/
Note the question mark.

There are reports it has been cracked, but we don't know how effectively. Can you save is a big question, the saving on a server thing was the big effective part of the DRM from early reports.

Thanks for the report... sounds icky. Still, I hope it is just launch day server issues and not a continued problem. Other than the drops it sounds not too bad at all, so if they can solve the drops then it might not be too terrible.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 05:59 AM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Note the question mark.

There are reports it has been cracked, but we don't know how effectively. Can you save is a big question, the saving on a server thing was the big effective part of the DRM from early reports.
The game in question that was cracked did not use the cloud system, it saved locally. We have to see how this will end up with Assassins Creed 2 for the real test of the DRMs effectiveness, Silent Hunter might have not used a complete version of it (again due to it saving games locally and not remotely).
Old 03-04-10, 06:04 AM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The game in question that was cracked did not use the cloud system, it saved locally. We have to see how this will end up with Assassins Creed 2 for the real test of the DRMs effectiveness, Silent Hunter might have not used a complete version of it (again due to it saving games locally and not remotely).
Good to know.

I am waiting very anxiously to see how this works... if it really does hinder pirates by not allowing them to save and other things I will be very happy, if it does nothing I can't wait to send Ubisoft a very angry letter.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:16 AM   #18
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh View Post
Last few weeks I've been keeping up with the online postings about Ubisoft's new online DRM. And was concerned to read that Silent Hunter V was going to be using it. However, Ubisoft has made some of my favorite PC games in the past few years and I decided to give it a shot, and go ahead and take the plunge and at least try one of their games.

I purchased SH5 from Steam, and activated a new account on Ubisoft's network. It was fairly painless and simpler than setting up a windows live account. So far so good. I fire up the game, and does the signing onto the network...

So first issue I encounter is a long load time while the game synchronizes your save games with Ubisoft's servers.. About 1 to 2 minutes.

Eventually I get into the game menu and was able to do the first time graphics and game setup. That was normal.

Next I started new game in the campaign and was no real issues, though game did take a long time to load. But I can't necessarily say that was an internet issue.

So first mission is a tutorial and walking around the sub while the game tells you how to interact and how to use the ingame commands. Still good, no other issues.

However, about 5 minutes into the mission, I get a pop up saying there's a problem with the internet and my session state has been saved. It tells me to wait of click the OK button to return to the main menu. But after a 10 seconds the message box goes away, and I'm back into the mission. I not too concerned, and go on playing.

But minute later message box pops up. And I wait 10 seconds it goes away. And then another 30 seconds message box pops up.. and then so on and so forth.. After about 10 minutes of getting interrupted I gave up. I then go to exit the game and there's another window open saying synchronizing saves with Ubisoft's network, app will close when complete. Well after letting it run in the background for couple of minutes I just closed it. I probably lost my saves.

So the best way I can describe playing the game is like streaming a movie from Netflix. Most of the time watching a movie online is fine, but occausionally Netlfix app will need to reconnect or adjust your video quality because your internet connection has slowed. It's the same with SH5. You need a constant connection to the server. If for a second it gets disconnected or your internet slows down, the game stops with the pop up.

I'm sure there will be times during the day when playing it will go fine, and my internet connectivity won't have any issues. But if you plan on playing for hours at a time, you're going to have issues. And no way can I even imagine playing a FPS with this setup. You'll go nuts.

I sure hope Ubisoft reconsiders this DRM setup. They've killed their games for me, I won't be buying another of their games with this type of security.
Did you ever try

Code:
ping your_isp_gateway_server_ip -t
to see what might be wrong with your connection?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:44 AM   #19
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 06:57 AM   #20
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Confirmed, its cracked.... The scene group SKIDROW took care of it... Here are excerpts...

EDIT: I remember the last time I posted an NFO, some people got their panties in a twist so I took it out.

What I can tell you is that its no different from any other cracked game.
big ****ing surprise there lol.

i said it on that ac or the other ubisoft thread...IT WONT STOP PIRACY!...in this case it stopped nothing.

as for ac2 saving system...it will probably end up pointing back to ure pc and the crack will bypass the check and load the save games locally.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-10, 07:07 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
as for ac2 saving system...it will probably end up pointing back to ure pc and the crack will bypass the check and load the save games locally.
If the game is reprogrammed then it could be stopped. They can remove the entire option to load games unless your signed in. If there is no file created when saved then theres nothing they can do. The system should be designed to save your checkpoint/state to your online profile, not a file.
Old 03-04-10, 07:07 AM   #22
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
big ****ing surprise there lol.

i said it on that ac or the other ubisoft thread...IT WONT STOP PIRACY!...in this case it stopped nothing.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely hilarious. There is always a way around things like this and yet the "scene" is always quick at cracking it. I guess everyone on the anti-piracy wagon is freaking out.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 07:11 AM   #23
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I'm sorry but this is absolutely hilarious. There is always a way around things like this and yet the "scene" is always quick at cracking it. I guess everyone on the anti-piracy wagon is freaking out.
Yeah I'm sure your loving it.
Old 03-04-10, 07:48 AM   #24
hapooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Did you ever try

Code:
ping your_isp_gateway_server_ip -t
to see what might be wrong with your connection?
I am using a wireless adapter and could probably eliminate a lot of the connectivity issues, if I had a wired connection, but it's just not practical given my home layout. That's why I'm using wireless in the first place.

I don't even think it's the download part of it that's really the issue, but more of the upload. This DRM appears to be constantly uploading game data back to the servers.

If there's a simple crack I can download to "fix" my game, I'll do it, but, it's not worth the effort if I need to do anything more ellaborate.

So I'm going to play the game (when I can), but I'm not going to buy any more of their games with this DRM.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote