Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-10, 08:57 AM   #25
glObalist
working as intended

Default Re: First impressions of Ubisoft's new online DRM system

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh View Post
I am using a wireless adapter and could probably eliminate a lot of the connectivity issues, if I had a wired connection, but it's just not practical given my home layout. That's why I'm using wireless in the first place.

I don't even think it's the download part of it that's really the issue, but more of the upload. This DRM appears to be constantly uploading game data back to the servers.
You can easily check that with something like this:

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

Just make sure all your other inet activity is disabled.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 09:00 AM   #26
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm dying to play SH5, but I won't pirate it just to take it for a test drive without the DRM. Hopefully my patience for letting the bugs (both with the DRM scheme and the game itself...after all, this is a Silent Hunter game) will result in a Steam sale.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 09:23 AM   #27
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

UBISOFT DRM has already been cracked. What a waste of money and resources. We could've bought the game for $50 or less if they didn't try to institute that whacked out DRM. Again, PC gamers lose.

http://www.infoaddict.com/ubisofts-n...under-25-hours

Here's a thought, hire some of the crackers to design you a DRM scheme that works. Plus if they were on their payroll I doubt they'd be cracking and releasing their own DRM. LOL obviously the crackers are much smarter than the DRM developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 09:25 AM   #28
|MaguS|

Hehe Reports are that the "Cracked" game is experiencing issues much like Mass Effect originally where the game starts having errors and bugs start happening.

Ubisoft is claiming that why the cracked version gets around the need to be online it does not provide a fully playable game and key aspects of the game are missing.

hmmm probably has some secret calls and triggers later in the game to trick the crackers.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS

I mean it would be stupid if all their DRM is a login system and actually doesn't transfer any data.
Old 03-04-10, 10:53 AM   #29
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

We posted at the same time there Magus...

Deleted mine. I would bet you can't save in AC2, in addition to bugs, errors and missing sections.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 11:04 AM   #30
hapooh

There actually is a solution to online piracy that can't be thwarted, except of stealing someone's accout.....

It's called Onlive. www.onlive.com

My friend was a beta tester and I checked it out. Played Mass Effect 1 and Bound in Blood. It worked very well, but granted the graphics were tuned down. But if the future of gaming is going to require us to be online to play, then I'd rather it be something like this where I can play just using my browser and not need to buy a stupid console or even high end hardware.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 11:16 AM   #31
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh View Post
There actually is a solution to online piracy that can't be thwarted, except of stealing someone's accout.....

It's called Onlive. www.onlive.com

My friend was a beta tester and I checked it out. Played Mass Effect 1 and Bound in Blood. It worked very well, but granted the graphics were tuned down. But if the future of gaming is going to require us to be online to play, then I'd rather it be something like this where I can play just using my browser and not need to buy a stupid console or even high end hardware.
onlive will never take off due to latency. It might work for most slower titles but any that require smooth mouse controls and quick reaction time are going to be bad on the service. If anything it will work for the casual audience and might be what the PC needs to bring a new generation of gamers to it.
Old 03-04-10, 11:42 AM   #32
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Latency is the main reason the public will dislike it.

Low graphics, no tweaks, closed system and no ownership what-so-ever are the reasons I dislike it. As well as latency, of course.

Still, if they get latency down to "good enough" levels then I bet it catches on, be it 10 years or more from now. Eventually, as in Star Trek like future days, everything will be streamed and no media will be owned ever, that is just a plain and simple fact. It's the journey there that is like a rollercoaster.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-04-10, 12:26 PM   #33
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
onlive will never take off due to latency. It might work for most slower titles but any that require smooth mouse controls and quick reaction time are going to be bad on the service. If anything it will work for the casual audience and might be what the PC needs to bring a new generation of gamers to it.
Legit reviews already looked at it and posted a review. Not for me. If you dont have a console or high end PC, its better than nothing. Then again if you dont already have a decent PC or console you aren't really a gamer.. so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:29 PM   #34
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I love how the mood of the PC gaming forums today is "YAY it's cracked woo hoo!"

If true, all that means is:

1) Less PC interest from Ubisoft and most likely other big publishers
2) More strict DRM ideas.

What the hell is there to celebrate about that? The idea that the defeat of this DRM will result in DRM-free gaming is just ridiculous. Get over that: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Old 03-04-10, 12:36 PM   #35
HiCZoK4

just buy it and crack. OR dont get it at all
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 12:59 PM   #36
General Lee

I'd rather buy it, and take a big, steamy poo on it. DRM gets on my nerves. I'm not saying I support piracy, but I also don't support anything that comes with a game that can be a pain in the ass.

Yeppers. Big...steamy...poooooooo.