Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-10, 03:02 PM   #37
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: First impressions of Ubisoft's new online DRM system

Ubisoft informed Edge Online that the digital rights management in Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 has not actually been cracked.
“You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassin’s Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked,” Ubisoft told us in a statement this morning.

“Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete.”

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=28613
Old 03-04-10, 03:52 PM   #38
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
If the game is reprogrammed then it could be stopped. They can remove the entire option to load games unless your signed in. If there is no file created when saved then theres nothing they can do. The system should be designed to save your checkpoint/state to your online profile, not a file.
Are you really that daft? It might take a while but do you think it would take the scene that long to create a virtual server thats run on your localhost that just makes the game think that it is a Ubisoft server?
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 04:22 PM   #39
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko View Post
Are you really that daft? It might take a while but do you think it would take the scene that long to create a virtual server thats run on your localhost that just makes the game think that it is a Ubisoft server?
Yes and then they would have to create their own script files that are sent to the user at the right time when the game requires them. Yes its all possible, but would they put that much work into it? Heck how long would it take? 6 months? a year? sure its possible but Ubisoft just needs 2 months of being uncracked to sell the game, most games sell the most copies within the first 3 months. No one said they are trying to stop it perm or that its totally uncrackable, the point is to delay it to generate the most sales. If theres one thing I learned about pirates is that they have no patience.
Old 03-04-10, 04:40 PM   #40
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Yes and then they would have to create their own script files that are sent to the user at the right time when the game requires them. Yes its all possible, but would they put that much work into it? Heck how long would it take? 6 months? a year? sure its possible but Ubisoft just needs 2 months of being uncracked to sell the game, most games sell the most copies within the first 3 months. No one said they are trying to stop it perm or that its totally uncrackable, the point is to delay it to generate the most sales. If theres one thing I learned about pirates is that they have no patience.
Exactly.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-10, 04:53 PM   #41
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Most pirates pirate because they can't afford the game, and the ones that have no patience will just end up not playing it in the first place. Also it would just take the scene one paid game to pirate it in the first place. Who says you have to make your own scripts? Hell depending on the data that is received from Ubisoft servers it might be ultra simple if they just catch the data that is coming in as they play through the game and just have a server that just sends the exact same info back.
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 03-04-10, 05:00 PM   #42
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Most pirates pirate because they can't afford the game, and the ones that have no patience will just end up not playing it in the first place..
i see nothing wrong with that, and they can't afford is total bull****, they can afford computer hardware, and they can't afford games? bull****
Old 03-04-10, 05:16 PM   #43
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
i see nothing wrong with that, and they can't afford is total bull****, they can afford computer hardware, and they can't afford games? bull****
What I was saying is that if they don't end up buying the game no matter what it won't change how much a game sells if its pirated or not.
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 03-04-10, 05:19 PM   #44
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

vote banko for pres, if he is in charge, doesn't matter that i can't afford a ferrari, i will just take one from the dealer. it is ok, since i would never buy one anyway

Old 03-04-10, 05:23 PM   #45
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
What I was saying is that if they don't end up buying the game no matter what it won't change how much a game sells if its pirated or not.
As I have said numerous times, this is a bunch of BS. Pirates steal the games because they save money... some of them might be too poor to buy them, but a lot of them would just rather not.

Take piracy away and very few of them would just quit gaming totally. They would either start buying PC games, switch to console games, play older games, something. They would not just say "oh well, guess I am done gaming." That's a ridiculous notion.

They might SAY that, as part of their BS justification, but it's a lie. They wouldn't be pirating games unless they enjoyed playing them, end of story.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-04-10, 05:32 PM   #46
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
vote banko for pres, if he is in charge, doesn't matter that i can't afford a ferrari, i will just take one from the dealer. it is ok, since i would never buy one anyway
I'm not advocating pirates here but I am saying that DRM in the end is worthless. For one your average joe won't know how to install a crack much less know what the "Program Files" directory is in the first place. Most people still buy games rather then pirate them.

Ubisoft probably spent a good chunk of change paying the developers to develop DRM like that and in the end it will get pirated. If they do stuff like this they will end up losing money, and hurting the average user in the first place.

Let us talk about an example with regards to this games DRM.

A person owns a decent gaming laptop.
Person spends $60 on said game.
With how the OP had problems just using WiFi does that mean this person also has to buy internet access from their cell phone provider which might not even let them play the game in the first place?

What do you do if your internet is down and you want to play a game?

Sadly companies can't look at it any other way and will probably have to learn the hard way down the road.
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 03-04-10, 05:53 PM   #47
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
I'm not advocating pirates here but I am saying that DRM in the end is worthless. For one your average joe won't know how to install a crack much less know what the "Program Files" directory is in the first place. Most people still buy games rather then pirate them.
The often criticized quote from CliffyB was actually correct, anyone with the know-how to make a gaming rig knows how to pirate games, or could figure it out if they wanted to. It ain't hard.

As for most buying games, I know Ubisoft would argue that point with you. They said something about Assassin's Creed being pirated 20 to 1 with purchased. Now, I am sure a ton of those pirated copies were used as demos, or "will it run" evaluations, or what-have-you, but still a TON of people got it without paying for it, and likely more than it sold.

Old 03-04-10, 06:27 PM   #48
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The often criticized quote from CliffyB was actually correct, anyone with the know-how to make a gaming rig knows how to pirate games, or could figure it out if they wanted to. It ain't hard.

As for most buying games, I know Ubisoft would argue that point with you. They said something about Assassin's Creed being pirated 20 to 1 with purchased. Now, I am sure a ton of those pirated copies were used as demos, or "will it run" evaluations, or what-have-you, but still a TON of people got it without paying for it, and likely more than it sold.
A person that builds a gaming PC isn't the average joe.
MSI P55-GD80
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W