Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-10, 09:58 AM   #13
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Growing animosity against gamepad support in PC games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
I'm tellin ya, if some of you guys got to use an HTPC with good gaming capability, you'd want to have the choice of using a gamepad.
I have a damn nice HT system with a 50" 1080p TV, but sitting 10 feet away from it makes it about the same size as my 24" monitor from 2 feet away, honestly.

And as I said, get a lap pad and some wireless KBM dude... there are a thousand pics online of how to make the setup perfect.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 10:40 AM   #14
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

i only use gamepad for racing, sports, fighting and some platform games.

playing a FPS with a gamepad is like trying to eat a soup with a fork, it is possible, but its a dumb idea.
Old 03-05-10, 11:12 AM   #15
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
playing a FPS with a gamepad is like trying to eat a soup with a fork, it is possible, but its a dumb idea.
That sort of mindset against it is a sweeping generalization. If a controller for an FPS was really that bad, there wouldn't be SO MANY FPSs for consoles, and support for gamepads in PC FPSs wouldn't exist at all.

For what it's worth I do just fine in Bioshock, Far Cry 2, Halo, Mirror's Edge & UT3 with the 360 pad. Even online. I pwn plenty of keyboard/mouse kids.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:45 AM   #16
Ryeyoo

I rarely play first person shooters, and I use a gamepad frequently for pc. Yes, games for pc like bioshock I do actually prefer a keyboard. But I like playing games on my tv more. It's just more practical to have a pad and tv setup. I was pretty happy when microsoft's games for windows thing was underway because it meant a standardized pc controller. Made things easier and I decided to hook up the pc to the tv as well. This has been a pretty practical idea, until more recently.

It's been pretty annoying that the big releases lately have had no gamepad support when the GUIs were already made for the 360. It's the same gamepad, how hard is it just leave that there as an option. It's quite a backwards thing to do, I hope it doesn't become a trend.
Ryeyoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:51 AM   #17
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Every game should have GOOD support for gamepads and mouse\keyboard.

That's how its always been on PC.

Without flexibility the platform loses its appeal quickly.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:58 AM   #18
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
Every game should have GOOD support for gamepads and mouse\keyboard.

That's how its always been on PC.
Not really... supporting pads for FPS at all has been a recent thing, as far as I know. That's why it was funny when people flipped out about Bioshock 2 not supporting them, since it has been so rare in the medium.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-05-10, 12:26 PM   #19
DennisK4

Gamepads are almost essential for some games - even on PC.

I am currently playing Assassins Creed 2 on the PC and I honestly can't imagine playing it with K+M
Old 03-05-10, 12:32 PM   #20
frenchy2k1

I guess I'm all for flexibility and choice, but I personnally dont use much pads on the PC. I even have an adapter for PS2 gamepads that I've used some for platformers and flight sims, but it's been a while.

I doubt pads will ever go away, even on PC. Microsoft makes the 360 pads directly usable on any GfWLive game normally (this is a requirement), but lots of FPS on PC will be designed for the precision of the mouse (no auto aim and fast reactions). Otherwise, good pad drivers are your friends. They can usually emulate key strokes anyway, so support is automatic (except for analog pads...).

Old 03-05-10, 01:11 PM   #21
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisK4 View Post
Gamepads are almost essential for some games - even on PC.

I am currently playing Assassins Creed 2 on the PC and I honestly can't imagine playing it with K+M
Very true (though I liked AC1 with a mouse). There are a ton of games I need a pad for.

Old 03-06-10, 01:28 PM   #22
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I don't see a need to have controller support in an FPS any more than an RTS, why offer an inferior method of control and spend time and money implementing and optimizing it?
It's not entirely inferior. Yes aiming is quicker and more precise with M&K but walking/running is much better with a controller. With a controller you get analog walk/run. Your walks in the virtual world are natural looking. With M&K you're often always running and it doesn't look natural.

As many have mentioned it's also much more comfortable for reclining on a couch.

360 controller support is one of the best things about Games for Windows.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 02:21 PM   #23
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
It's not entirely inferior. Yes aiming is quicker and more precise with M&K but walking/running is much better with a controller. With a controller you get analog walk/run. Your walks in the virtual world are natural looking. With M&K you're often always running and it doesn't look natural.

As many have mentioned it's also much more comfortable for reclining on a couch.

360 controller support is one of the best things about Games for Windows.
I don't think analog walking has ever been that essential, and the vast majority of FPS games have little in the way of speed increase/decrease with analog. Most of them use a sprint button.

And a good lap pad in the right place with a wireless KBM is just as comfortable.

Old 03-06-10, 02:37 PM   #24
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Not really... supporting pads for FPS at all has been a recent thing, as far as I know. That's why it was funny when people flipped out about Bioshock 2 not supporting them, since it has been so rare in the medium.
False. FPSes before mouse look all supported game pads and even joystick. It was only when mouse look became standard that gamepad/joystick support died down.

Remember guys. Gamepads have been used on PC since well, forever. I can remember having a gamepad for my PC since the early nineties.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote