Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-10, 09:51 AM   #1
|MaguS|

Default Would this be possible?

So I got my consoles and TV with my laptop downstairs and my PC upstairs with the modem and my current router. Would it be possible to set up a second wireless router downstairs to connect my non wifi enabled devices to the internet? Would this cause any issues?

I was thinking of maybe setting up two wireless N routers so I can get some high speed media streaming to my PS3/X360 without problems, right now I can barely do HD video.
Old 03-05-10, 01:35 PM   #2
frenchy2k1

Default Re: Would this be possible?

Yes, it is possible.
If I were you, I'd buy some router that would support upgrading to DD-WRT.
I had a similar setup in my last appartment due to a single phone plug working, far from my computer room. I setup a wireless router next to the DSL modem and another one in the computer room, with all the computers on it, so I had only one wireless link.

Most routers have a client mode, even with their default firmware. Setup the one near the modem as access point/router and the other one as a client, connecting to the first one. Wireless G is limit for an HD stream, but enough for compressed SD streams (like DVD or Divx). N should be fine for both. I may have to upgrade my router to an N one, to do the same
Old 03-06-10, 09:33 PM   #3
Bman212121

It is possible on newer Netgear routers by setting them to repeater mode. The only issue that I can see is latency is going to be much higher on your equipment that is downstairs. If you play FPS games online then I'd really suggest figuring out a way to get a network wire down the wall and use a switch. No lag, no problems.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 09:47 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
It is possible on newer Netgear routers by setting them to repeater mode. The only issue that I can see is latency is going to be much higher on your equipment that is downstairs. If you play FPS games online then I'd really suggest figuring out a way to get a network wire down the wall and use a switch. No lag, no problems.
i need to do the same thing in my house. only netgear router i like is the new WNDR3700, but i would never buy a router with internal antennas.

but before i change anything in my wireless setup i'm waiting for the new 600 Mbit/s wireless n equipment.
Old 03-06-10, 10:00 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Haven't had issues with latency now on my PS3 and laptop and they are on my wireless network.
Old 08-04-10, 05:36 AM   #6
JeanMichel

I turn my router to repeated mode but the latency still up even when i moved downstairs
Quote:
It is possible on newer Netgear routers by setting them to repeater mode. The only issue that I can see is latency is going to be much higher on your equipment that is downstairs even with a high gaming wireless router. If you play FPS games online then I'd really suggest figuring out a way to get a network wire down the wall and use a switch. No lag, no problems.
JeanMichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 06:19 AM   #7
Revs

I've done this before. I just networked the second router to the first and disabled the DHCP on the second. Obviously I had to manually configure the network on the second router and run them on different channels (6 and 11), but it worked.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote