Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-10, 11:46 AM   #13
General Lee

Default Re: Already seeing problems with UBIs new DRM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post

Old 03-08-10, 11:54 AM   #14
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
This is true, but the end of the line on this is that hackers took down a game service and people could not play. If it happened to WoW no one would be blaming Blizzard for it completely, that's for sure.

Whether the game should be tied to the service or not in your personal opinion is almost completely irrelevant.
We don't really know that and I have a hard time believe that hackers took down the DRM servers. Wouldn't the hackers be cracking Assassin's Creed 2? Why would they mess with legit buyers? That doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
Old 03-08-10, 11:55 AM   #15
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
We don't really know that and I have a hard time believe that hackers took down the DRM servers. Wouldn't the hackers be cracking Assassin's Creed 2? Why would they mess with legit buyers? That doesn't even make sense.
I agree, it doesn't make sense for them to attack customers.

Of course knowing anti-copyright people, I bet they see consumers who support the evil capitalist regime as deserving of hassle.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
Old 03-08-10, 12:20 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Some kid attacked Sonys site because he got banned from Socom. People do stupid **** all the time.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/...ing-sony-site/

Old 03-08-10, 12:21 PM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Hey look a pirate justifying piracy, who would have thought!

Old 03-08-10, 12:45 PM   #18
Hari Seldon

Some frustrated pirate trying to hack AC probably used a small bot net to attack the servers....
Old 03-08-10, 12:48 PM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

The thing about that picture and that rant altogether is that it is just false. No one who is moral and would not steal is going to suddenly do so because of a hassle. It's just not true... games with no DRM are heavily pirated as well any other, it's a fallacy.

Pirates steal because they are selfish, spoiled and ignorant bastards. That's it. Seeking endless justifications and reasons is all just BS hatred for corporations and whining. If you are not someone who steals then when presented with an annoying thing like Ubi's DRM you will just NOT BUY THE GAME.

At best that pic justifies buying a game and then playing the cracked version.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-08-10, 01:00 PM   #20
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Hey look a pirate justifying piracy, who would have thought!
Ha! That's pretty funny. Remember, I buy the games worth buying chief.

What's really funny about this whole situation is that the hacked copies can play fine where the legit versions are screwed. Good thing I'm not interested in buying (or even downloading to try) any of the new Ubi games coming out.

Old 03-08-10, 01:05 PM   #21
six_storm

Quote:
The thing about that picture and that rant altogether is that it is just false. No one who is moral and would not steal is going to suddenly do so because of a hassle. It's just not true... games with no DRM are heavily pirated as well any other, it's a fallacy.

Pirates steal because they are selfish, spoiled and ignorant bastards. That's it. Seeking endless justifications and reasons is all just BS hatred for corporations and whining. If you are not someone who steals then when presented with an annoying thing like Ubi's DRM you will just NOT BUY THE GAME.

At best that pic justifies buying a game and then playing the cracked version.
I agree that it's horrible that people will download a game, play it, beat it and then not pay for it. But if you like a game and you pay for a copy, then who gives a crap if you download the cracks? The company got their money, I should be able to run the dang game without having a CD in my CD drive all the dang time.
Old 03-08-10, 01:12 PM   #22
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
I agree that it's horrible that people will download a game, play it, beat it and then not pay for it. But if you like a game and you pay for a copy, then who gives a crap if you download the cracks? The company got their money, I should be able to run the dang game without having a CD in my CD drive all the dang time.
My stance is if I buy a game and someday I can't play it right out of the box, I will do what I have to do to play it. If that means fan patch, crack, whatever, then I will do it. I just fa patched King's Quest 6 the other day.

I do NOT agree with pirating a game and then maybe paying for it if you like it. That is bull and stealing, same as anything else.

Old 03-08-10, 01:32 PM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
My stance is if I buy a game and someday I can't play it right out of the box, I will do what I have to do to play it. If that means fan patch, crack, whatever, then I will do it. I just fa patched King's Quest 6 the other day.

I do NOT agree with pirating a game and then maybe paying for it if you like it. That is bull and stealing, same as anything else.
Again, if the game is worth 2 cents to me, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll delete my "download" and won't waste another second of my time with it. Simple as that. And trust me, I've got an extensive game library that has been paid for in full.
Old 03-08-10, 01:40 PM   #24
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Again, if the game is worth 2 cents to me, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'll delete my "download" and won't waste another second of my time with it. Simple as that. And trust me, I've got an extensive game library that has been paid for in full.
Still doesn't make it right dude, these products are not made for people to play and THEN decide how much they are worth. It just doesn't work that way, you are taking advantage of illegal copyright infringement to avoid paying for things. Piracy, in other words.

It's really not hard to look at videos, reviews and customer comments on forums and figure out what is worth getting, I assure you. I rarely ever buy a game I regret getting... Star Trek Online is the only recent example I can think of, and on that I was warned several times and let my fanboyism lead me down a bad path... my own fault.

And in case you ask "who does it hurt"...

1) Increases piracy stats that publishers use to decide platform support and DRM.
2) Leeches for real thieves.
3) Customers tend to be nit-picky and blow up Steam forums over minor issues... these same minor issues could stop you from paying after the fact, even if you mostly loved the game.
4) Play it on day one but pay $20 later for it... diminishes platform, lowers sales, lowers the PC on priority list.
5) You will always, even without meaning to, try and save yourself money. You will find reasons not to buy right now, or ever, or what-have-you.

Closed Thread