Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-10, 04:27 PM   #37
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Already seeing problems with UBIs new DRM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
No. They need us. We don't have to roll over and take it up the ass every time they do something ridiculous, but some people here make it sound like it'll be the end of PC gaming if you don't buy the game, voice your opinion, or boycott the company/release. If PC gaming is really this frail, then it should fail.

Ubisoft chose this solution. They made it possible.
That would make sense if they didn't have alternatives, but they do. If PC continues to be a less and less appealing platform for publishers we will get less and less games on PC. They'll just focus even more on consoles and keep making money there.

We need them for our platform to survive, yes.

It's not rocket science.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
Old 03-08-10, 04:31 PM   #38
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I agree, more demos would be good.

But games with demos are pirated as much as games without demos, so... whatever.

And way to go at ignoring the list... riding the justification train to justification station.
I agree that games are pirated whether they have a demo or not, BUT as far as I am personally concerned, I don't play that game. If the game is worth a dang, I'll buy it and support companies that make a half way decent game.

As for the list . . .

I don't think that I'm stealing at all. I don't think that I'm robbing any game company of $50 or however much the game costs. Now, if I were to play a game all the way through then didn't pay for a copy, then I would agree that I did something wrong. Again, if I download a game to try it out and it sucks, I'll scrap it right away. Why should I waste my hard drive space with crappy games or software? Otherwise, if the game is awesome and I want to play through it, then I'll fork out the money for it.

Take CoD:MW2. I could've EASILY downloaded it, created a fake Steam account and played through it. But did I? NO. I waited until I could buy a few games here recently and paid the full $60. Battlefield? I could've had SP beat over a week ago. Did I play through it and call it a day? No. I pre-ordered the game and actually just beat SP last night.

Even if there is a game that is "meh" to me, I'll even wait until it goes on sale. I still buy old games like Quake 4 and BF2.

Consider me a pirate and thief if you will, but I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
Old 03-08-10, 04:33 PM   #39
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
That would make sense if they didn't have alternatives, but they do. If PC continues to be a less and less appealing platform for publishers we will get less and less games on PC. They'll just focus even more on consoles and keep making money there.

It's not rocket science.
Piracy is just as easy on the console as it is a PC IMO. Wanna buy a modded X360? Not that hard to find. Want to download a cracked game for the X360? Not that hard to find either.

So if "piracy" is going to kill PC gaming, then it should kill console gaming as well.
Old 03-08-10, 04:42 PM   #40
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Piracy is just as easy on the console as it is a PC IMO. Wanna buy a modded X360? Not that hard to find. Want to download a cracked game for the X360? Not that hard to find either.

So if "piracy" is going to kill PC gaming, then it should kill console gaming as well.
It's not "just as" easy, and more to the point, that's irrelevant. Xbox piracy is nowhere near the rates of PC piracy... you can argue otherwise all you want, it doesn't matter, it's just not.

Nintendo DS and Sony's PSP are close to PC level bad... and guess what, large exclusive and well made exclusives for those platforms from 3rd parties, especially the PSP, are dwindling because of it.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-08-10, 04:43 PM   #41
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
If a 30 to 60 s trailer is enough for you to decide to watch a movie then watching a few game trailers and maybe reading a few reviews should give you enough info to decide to buy, or not buy a game without resorting to criminal activity...
does ESA/Ubisoft/Macrovision/whatever signs your paycheck?

movie is for watching (duh) so watching a trailer can give you some experience on the watching quality of the movie

game is for playing (duh again?) so watching a game video DOES NOT give you some experience on the playability of a game.

ciao
Old 03-08-10, 04:43 PM   #42
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
As for the list . . .

I don't think that I'm stealing at all. I don't think that I'm robbing any game company of $50 or however much the game costs. Now, if I were to play a game all the way through then didn't pay for a copy, then I would agree that I did something wrong. Again, if I download a game to try it out and it sucks, I'll scrap it right away. Why should I waste my hard drive space with crappy games or software? Otherwise, if the game is awesome and I want to play through it, then I'll fork out the money for it.

Take CoD:MW2. I could've EASILY downloaded it, created a fake Steam account and played through it. But did I? NO. I waited until I could buy a few games here recently and paid the full $60. Battlefield? I could've had SP beat over a week ago. Did I play through it and call it a day? No. I pre-ordered the game and actually just beat SP last night.

Even if there is a game that is "meh" to me, I'll even wait until it goes on sale. I still buy old games like Quake 4 and BF2.

Consider me a pirate and thief if you will, but I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.
You didn't respond to ANY of the list items, despite saying you would.

Old 03-08-10, 04:45 PM   #43
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richteralan View Post
does ESA/Ubisoft/Macrovision/whatever signs your paycheck?

movie is for watching (duh) so watching a trailer can give you some experience on the watching quality of the movie

game is for playing (duh again?) so watching a game video DOES NOT give you some experience on the playability of a game.

ciao
You can't watch a 10-20 minute walkthrough of an FPS game and, knowing how FPS games play, extrapolate pretty clearly how the game works and plays?

Go to giantbomb.com and watch a 20 minute quick look and tell me what else you really need to know about a game before deciding to purchase or not. A good example there is STALKER CoP... I watched the quick look and saw it is basically more STALKER, so I delayed my purchase for a while. I didn't need to download it and play it to see that, it's right there in the video.

Old 03-08-10, 04:45 PM   #44
Richteralan
The Enigma

Quote:
Xbox piracy is nowhere near the rates of PC piracy...
because there's no way to check..?

Old 03-08-10, 04:46 PM   #45
Richteralan
The Enigma

Quote:
You can't watch a 10-20 minute walkthrough of an FPS game and, knowing how FPS games play, extrapolate pretty clearly how the game works and plays?
of course, that's my point. thanks for backing me up.
Old 03-08-10, 04:47 PM   #46
logan

Quote:

They are making the platform less appealing by forcing their customers jump through hoops in order to squeeze every last cent from a group of people that will never pay for the product. If this is the future of PC gaming, then put it out of its misery already.

Quote:
It's not rocket science.
Customer satisfaction is, apparently.
Old 03-08-10, 04:48 PM   #47
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
because there's no way to check..?
So you think all these companies who tell you PC is by far worse for piracy are lying to you? What do they hope to gain from that?

More to the point, even if piracy rates are the same on Xbox, they still sell ten times more software. It would be the same size fish in a 10 times larger pond, and thus much more negligible.

Old 03-08-10, 04:49 PM   #48
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
of course, that's my point. thanks for backing me up.
Thanks for the snark, but you didn't answer the question. What do those long walkthrough videos lack?

Closed Thread