Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-10, 05:45 AM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: ATI Drivers?

My 4870 is the only ATI hardware I've had since the 9700Pro and have really only had any major issues with 1 or 2 driver sets since release, and nothing difficult to deal with.

Out of the Nvidia hardware I've had 6800GT, 7800GT, 7800GTX, 7900GTX, 8800GTS. 9800GTX - well, my experience has been similar.

Minor problems with both vendors. The majority of usage is gaming, some movie watching on rare occasion.
Old 03-10-10, 12:28 PM   #14
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

How improved are these xfire profiles? I keep hearing about them second hand, but I'd like to here from someone who actually has xfire.

I'm thinking about getting 2 MSI Hawk 5770's at the end of them month if Fermi blows.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 06:25 PM   #15
Stevia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Most complaining about ATI drivers are Nvidia boys who don't have the patience to learn ATI's control panel and expect it to function just like Nvidia's.

That's it in a nutshell.

I've owned a few more ATI cards over the years than I have Nvidia cards, and my experience is that while Nvidia's drivers may be a tad more polished (a few less bugs) they are very similar to one another. Not much difference between them.
Not entirely true. I agree you make very solid points especially about those newcomers moving over to ATI CCC. Also depending on the user and there requirements and expectations with regards to certain features and there implementation can have a dramatic effect on the outcome of the 2 driver sets.

Most every Graphics community forum I am a member of has always made it clear that the ATI drivers have far more issues than the Nvidia driver set, even in Rage3D a great deal of many members admit Nvidia has the better driver. Especially when dealing with older games and OpenGl as well.
Stevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 07:03 PM   #16
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevia View Post
Not entirely true. I agree you make very solid points especially about those newcomers moving over to ATI CCC. Also depending on the user and there requirements and expectations with regards to certain features and there implementation can have a dramatic effect on the outcome of the 2 driver sets.

Most every Graphics community forum I am a member of has always made it clear that the ATI drivers have far more issues than the Nvidia driver set, even in Rage3D a great deal of many members admit Nvidia has the better driver. Especially when dealing with older games and OpenGl as well.
A great deal of Rage3D members have owned both NV and ATI. There's nearly as big an Nvidia base over there as there is ATI over here. And I tend to believe that most of the complaining you reference is in regards to Crossfire's locked profile system. And ATI's done a lot of work lately in regards to that by opening up profiles.

On OpenGL, the problems they had with that were from like 3-4 years ago? I don't see what relevance that has when discussing the impact of drivers today.

The biggest difference between NV/ATI drivers today is that Nvidia makes things easier. Their UI is far superior to ATI's, so AA implementation and what-not is much easier to understand and get to work properly. But as far as the core driver set, they are nearly identical.

To me, a reliable driver does the core things well. Everything else that people always complain about with ATI like its control panel is just icing on the cake. While that "icing" is nice to have, it's not a dealbreaker (or dealmaker) for me.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 04:44 AM   #17
john19055

I have had both ATi and nvidia and had no more problems with ATi drivers then I have had with nvidia drivers.Yes I like the nvidia control pannel better ,but it is what I am used to and I know all the things I need to do or use when a game does't run right.Once I start useing the ATi control pannel again and get used to it ,it will be OK.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 07:55 AM   #18
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

I have had no problems with my ATI cards. I've had them for well over a year now so I would say that ATI has dependable drivers.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 01:50 PM   #19
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Absolutely agree with you but it's also the reason why I still don't keep the ATI cards I'm trying out.
2D stuff and movie playback/acceleration are also core things. In my opinion even more so than game support.
On a high-end graphics card? Nah.

How many benchmarks on the web do you see for that stuff in relation to gaming? Gaming is its core function.

Not saying the other functions shouldn't perform well, but they are not core functions for this card since cards 400-500$ less would do those things just as well.

No one buys an HD5970 for movie playback; they buy it for the potential that it has in gaming.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-14-10, 03:03 PM   #20
Xion X2

Quote:
Sure but that's why features like that are even more core features than gaming in my opinion. Stuff like that needs to work on all cards/GPUs. The drivers are unified after all.
But that's not the case. In a recent HTPC article, Anandtech mentioned DXVA problems with ATI drivers for example. That was with a IGP on a mATX board...
I'm not sure you're correct when you say the "drivers are unified." If you go to AMD's site, there's a different driver for the 5900-series, 5800-series, 4900-series, etc just as there is for Nvidia. I don't know why they would list them all separately if they were all the same driver.

And the 5970 is two GPUs. Given this, one would tend to believe that the drivers are written a bit different than they are for a single GPU card which is probably why they list "5800-series" and "5970" in two different categories.

As an example of "core" functionality, I had to google "DXVA" because I've never heard of the term and had no idea what the heck you were talking about. I didn't buy these cards to run DXVA or Windows media or anything else. I bought them for gaming, much as I would guess 99% of the rest of the owners out there bought them for.

For video playback and that stuff, I use a 100$ low/mid-range card. Not 1200$ worth of GPUs. A 100$ card can do those things just as well.

Fit for function is usually the route that I go with stuff. I'm not saying that ATI shouldn't clean up their non-gaming bugs that they may have, but I just don't feel that those issues concern the masses, which is probably why they're appearing to begin with. They're not priority one.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 03-14-10, 03:49 PM   #21
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post

For video playback and that stuff, I use a 100$ low/mid-range card. Not 1200$ worth of GPUs. A 100$ card can do those things just as well..
also having DXVA issues with my ATI "powered" HTPC
Old 03-14-10, 07:52 PM   #22
Mangler
DRM is your friend

One thing I wish ati would do is to have a working force vsync option in their control panel, I don't like that you need to use an external app to get that functionality, as anti cheat tools like vac and pb might detect it as a cheat in the future.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 09:43 PM   #23
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
lol I see on ati's tweets it says "Year of the recall?" with a link to the nvidia 196.75 driver articles. They must be having a field day between this and fermi.
nVidia's 196.75 driver has a problem with not turning on/up the fans on aftermarket coolers, causing the gpu to overheat and kill the graphics card.

Over the years I've had both ati and nVidia graphics cards. Before nVidia was even created ati was making graphics cards, back then their drivers were terrible beyond belief. Since the advent of nVidia, ati has really picked up on their game and the drivers now are comparable between companies. I've not had a issue with ATI graphics drivers in many years.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 10:38 PM   #24
Xion X2

Quote:
nV and ATI both have unified drivers for years. That means that it doesn't matter what you choose on the drivers site, it'll work for all GPUs. Of course the drivers are different for each GPU in those packages. But Core features are the same for all products.
So my point is still valid. Core features like that are the same for a $50 or a $500 card. Right now, DXVA doesn't work on either.
I think you're wrong with this. I've downloaded the wrong driver before and had problems with all sorts of things.

I'm running a 9800GT in my renderbox right now and accidentally downloaded a 200-series driver for it once. I couldn't get anything to work. The control panel wouldn't come up; it wouldn't recognize my correct display resolution, nothing.

I'm sure there are similarities between them--otherwise it would be too much work to code so many drivers. But I don't think you can just go in and choose whatever driver you want and have these "core functions" that you mention work properly. I've seen cases myself where it didn't.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz