Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-10, 09:42 PM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: ATI Drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
One thing I wish ati would do is to have a working force vsync option in their control panel, I don't like that you need to use an external app to get that functionality, as anti cheat tools like vac and pb might detect it as a cheat in the future.
vsync works fine on ATI. The problems that guys have with vsync are due to forcing AA in the driver when it shouldn't be forced.

ATI should pay me for having to explain this to people so many times, but basically, if an app has in-game AA enabled then you shouldn't force it from the CCC or you'll have problems (vsync not working is a common one.) The only AA option that is forceable from the CCC when there is an in-game AA option enabled is edge detect, and even then "application preferences" should be checked when using it.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 10:55 PM   #26
Viral
Registered User of Women

I do wish ATI would let you make profiles for 3D apps/games. That's my only gripe, though I don't really do much with video since my PS3 does all I need there so I can't comment on the 2D aspect.

Basically I find it hard to remember the settings I have to enable/disable for games in the CP, how do they expect the average person to deal with this? I guess most people don't know what AA/AF/vsync is... so they need make it more straightforward like nvidia have done. The drivers themselves are great for me, just the CP could use a complete revise.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 11:03 PM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
I think you're wrong with this. I've downloaded the wrong driver before and had problems with all sorts of things.

I'm running a 9800GT in my renderbox right now and accidentally downloaded a 200-series driver for it once. I couldn't get anything to work. The control panel wouldn't come up; it wouldn't recognize my correct display resolution, nothing.

I'm sure there are similarities between them--otherwise it would be too much work to code so many drivers. But I don't think you can just go in and choose whatever driver you want and have these "core functions" that you mention work properly. I've seen cases myself where it didn't.
slawter is correct, all drivers are unified in core, the difference is in INI files. you can disable or enable certain portions. ever heard of modded ini files?

changing "desktop" driver to work on laptop or vise versa.
Old 03-15-10, 01:17 AM   #28
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
slawter is correct, all drivers are unified in core, the difference is in INI files. you can disable or enable certain portions. ever heard of modded ini files?

changing "desktop" driver to work on laptop or vise versa.
Ok, so running the control panel or being able to set resolution properly isn't a core function, then? Because when I tried it with a different driver set it didn't work.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't know all the specifics, but I do know, from experience, that you can't just go in and download whatever driver set you want and have it work with your card.

If someone disagrees with me, then you can go try it and see for yourself. Perhaps my case was unique, and it will work for you.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-15-10, 01:21 AM   #29
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I do wish ATI would let you make profiles for 3D apps/games.
You can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakguides
Profiles (Catalyst Control Center)

If you want to use different graphics card settings in different circumstances, the profiles option might come in very handy. Click the Profiles button and select 'Profiles Manager' to bring up the Profiles Manager. You can save all your current Control Center settings under as many profiles as you like by entering a profile name in the box under 'Enter or select a profile name', and then click the Save button. However you can choose which particular settings are saved in the profile, and how they can be applied.

Composition: Under this tab you can select the particular Control Center settings to save for the current profile. If you click the small 'All Catalyst Control Center Settings' button all possible Control Center settings will be saved for the current profile. If you want to ignore certain settings, such as VPU Recover or Video Overlay settings for the current profile, click on the 'the following settings' button, and then you can double-click on the name of your graphics card (if you have only one display, select the first entry) and underneath it you can tick/untick the specific setting areas to add/remove.

Activation: Under this tab you can set the methods by which the profile can be activated (i.e the settings in the profile will be put into effect). There are four possible ways in which a profile can be activated:

System Tray Menu - If you use the ATI Catalyst Control Center System Tray tool then if this option is ticked you can use it to quickly access and activate your profiles.

Hotkey Assignments - If you use the ATI Hotkeys function of the Control Center, then you tick this option to assign hotkeys to activate a profile. You must then select a Hotkey Modifier key, and enter a particular key in the 'Enter a Hotkeys selection' box. This is the key combination which will activate this profile.

Profiles Menu - This item should usually be ticked, as it allows you to access profiles and activate them using the drop-down menu next to the Profiles button in the ATI Control Center. Your profiles will be listed by name under the 'Activate Profile' item of the Profiles drop-down menu.

Desktop Shortcut - This is a very useful way of activating profiles, particularly profiles which apply to particular games or applications. If this option is ticked, when you save a profile this places a special ATI shortcut on your Windows Desktop, which when launched will activate the particular profile associated with it. See the Application tab description below for more details of how to use this feature to create and use different profiles for each game.

Applications: Under this tab you can associate a particular application or game with the profile. You can do this by putting a tick in the 'opens the following application, file or shortcut' box, and then inserting the full path and name of a executable or shortcut using the Browse button. I recommend you select the path to a shortcut, as the Control Center has some issues with launching certain executables properly (e.g Doom3.exe). Unfortunately this method doesn't mean that whenever you run that application or shortcut that the drivers will automatically detect this and run the appropriate profile. That would be extremely useful, but that's not what this does. The closest you can get to that sort of ease-of-use is to tick the 'Desktop Shortcut' option under the Activation tab, then save your profile. You will now find a shortcut on your desktop which, when launched, will start the application or game you've assigned to the profile, and implement all the profile's settings.
http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_6.html

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-15-10, 01:23 AM   #30
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Ok, so running the control panel or being able to set resolution properly isn't a core function, then? Because when I tried it with a different driver set it didn't work.

That's all I'm saying.

I don't know all the specifics, but I do know, from experience, that you can't just go in and download whatever driver set you want and have it work with your card.

If someone disagrees with me, then you can go try it and see for yourself. Perhaps my case was unique, and it will work for you.
again ini file, look it up
Old 03-15-10, 01:25 AM   #31
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
and again ATI implemention is way behind

Quote:
Unfortunately this method doesn't mean that whenever you run that application or shortcut that the drivers will automatically detect this and run the appropriate profile. That would be extremely useful, but that's not what this does.
Old 03-15-10, 01:26 AM   #32
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
and again ATI implemention is way behind
Quit picking things out just to make an argument. I was only responding to Viral's statement that you couldn't create profiles with ATI.

Geez. You would argue with a sign post as long as it had my name on it.

In fact, what really irritates me is when someone quotes me and argues something with me that I've already admitted to. Just a few posts above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
The biggest difference between NV/ATI drivers today is that Nvidia makes things easier. Their UI is far superior to ATI's, so AA implementation and what-not is much easier to understand and get to work properly.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...2&postcount=17

So.. any other obvious points that we want to bring to light here?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 03-15-10, 03:11 AM   #33
K007

Wonder why ATi wont just go for a simple straight forward UI....do people really care about these fancy looking tabs and very limited view of the options...or skin colors...

Anyway i think the cards are pretty good, they defiantly stepped up with the 4xxx series.

They are working on profiles so thats good for them that they finally decided to do it, and its never late to make changes, and changes in the right direction.

When i did use the nvidia cards, i enjoyed the ui they gave, it might be different now but from my experience the ui is very clean and easy to navigate, nothing cramped into a tiny box...

Who knows when they finally finalise the profiles for the ati drivers they will revamp the ui.

Either way i can't wait to see GT300 results, which will then decide if i go 5870 or gt300/new psu
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 06:35 AM   #34
Mangler
DRM is your friend

Quote:
vsync works fine on ATI. The problems that guys have with vsync are due to forcing AA in the driver when it shouldn't be forced.

ATI should pay me for having to explain this to people so many times, but basically, if an app has in-game AA enabled then you shouldn't force it from the CCC or you'll have problems (vsync not working is a common one.) The only AA option that is forceable from the CCC when there is an in-game AA option enabled is edge detect, and even then "application preferences" should be checked when using it.

No vsync is not fine, if a game has a fubared implementation of it it will not work, even if you have it always on in ccc, you need to use d3doverrider.

In games like call of pripyat, you need to use d3doverrider to get vsync on an ati card, but if you own something from nvidia, you can just force it from the control panel.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 11:44 PM   #35
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
No I'm not wrong. You're experience doesn't change the fact that both ATI and nV drivers are unified
I never download a driver twice. I'll use the same driver package on all my systems (with the same OS) using different cards.
Very odd, because honestly, when I accidentally downloaded the wrong driver for this 9800GT before the driver did not work for me.

For some reason, I was thinking that I had the GTS250 in this machine instead of the 9800GT and so downloaded the "250-series" driver from Nvidia's site. It would not recognize the card at all.. kept telling me that I didn't have an Nvidia card installed and some other nonsense and would not let me into the control panel or set the resolution for my HDTV.

Perhaps because it was a driver set for a different architecture? (8/9 series?)

Anyway, as far as ATI is concerned, it appears that you are right. I usually go through AMD's site which has the drop-downs for your specific card, but now I see that Game.AMD just links you to a single driver and doesn't bother to ask ou what hardware you're running. So yeah, in that case, they should fix the video issues if it's a consistent driver package across all model cards.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 03-16-10, 06:52 AM   #36
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

I find the ATI drivers totally fine for me, yes I got a bit confused with the AA settings after forgetting what they did ( I did have a 4870 about a year ago) but Xion cleared it up for me.

I will agree that Nvidia drivers are clearer layout and explained better, but ATI ones work fine. I have not had any driver problems with them since changing from my 285GTX to a 5850 a few months back.