Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-10, 10:10 PM   #145
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Re: Mafia 2

From 2k forums -

This is for you Nvidia folks that may be wondering why the game is running slow.

I downloaded the steam demo, and part of the installer installed the newest version of Physx, problem is that is installed in in CPU mode, so the game was not using the GPU to render the physics (overloading the CPU and causing low frame rates).

The simple fix for you NVIDA Steam demo folks that may be in the same boat is to uninstall your physx and reinstall Physx manually from your Mafia II steamapps folder under the 3rd folder

In my case it was here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mafia ii - public demo\3rd

Now the game runs rock solid 60 FPS and now the game is amazing. Cars are easier to drive, and the Shooting is easier to target (along with amazing visuals)

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79364

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 11:00 PM   #146
dikinher
Grab em!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JLXTX0NZ

Disables Time limit
Old 08-10-10, 11:15 PM   #147
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
Hopefully that kind of odd performance will be fixed for the final release.

There's a very good tweaking guide here http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia...x-performance/

It may very well be the cloth effects (for NPCs) that is causing the random slowdowns.

Edit: This worked for me. It made the benchmark go from 30 fps to 60! The cloth effect is really only noticeable on your own character, I can't believe they were trying to simulate cloth on every character in the game!
Yep, I just tried this fix and same as you doubled my fps in the benchmark. I bet it is the cloth causing the slowdown in the demo, I never would have thought about it before you linked this fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
finally figured my graphic corruption issue. It only happens with 3d vision on. When I turn it off, game looks fine...strange though nvidia said the game is 3d ready!!!!!
Are you using the latest 3D drivers? Works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
There's enough performance left over for some anti-aliasing as well, which I hope gets implemented because the aliasing is fairly noticeable. Does the anti-aliasing option in the game menu actually do anything?
AA is already implemented in-game and is working. If you turn it off and look at the bridge that goes across the water, or at Vin you can see the difference. It's not great but it's probably all we will be able to use.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 12:03 AM   #148
dikinher
Grab em!

360 - PS3 - PC comparison video.

Old 08-11-10, 12:13 AM   #149
JasonPC

The in-game AA is not really real AA, it's some post effect that blurs the edges slightly. I'm guessing the engine won't be officially supporting actual AA, which is a shame as the jaggies are really noticeable.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 03:32 AM   #150
dikinher
Grab em!

The weird thing about the "AA" it seems pretty useless in the demo. I tried with it on and off. There was no difference at all. Oh and a tip for guys who use vertical sync. DO NOT enable Triple Buffering in the NVCP. It will kill your FPS.

On another note, it sounds to me that the developers over-estimated the system requirements. Maxing this game out doesn't give my system a hard time at all. Even with physx on High and in action.
Old 08-11-10, 06:42 AM   #151
Destroy

AA in game or otherwise it totally useless.

This game is just another GTA clone and sadly does nothing to further the genre.

Console textures. No save anywhere. Gimmicky physX. No AA. Distance blur effect. Can't remap some keys. FOV close. Average shooting/cover. Aim gun at peds does nothing? City is too antiseptic.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 07:20 AM   #152
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikinher View Post
The weird thing about the "AA" it seems pretty useless in the demo. I tried with it on and off. There was no difference at all. Oh and a tip for guys who use vertical sync. DO NOT enable Triple Buffering in the NVCP. It will kill your FPS.

On another note, it sounds to me that the developers over-estimated the system requirements. Maxing this game out doesn't give my system a hard time at all. Even with physx on High and in action.
triple buffering in NVCP does not affect DirectX, only OpenGL

Old 08-11-10, 07:21 AM   #153
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Mafia, the king is back!!
Old 08-11-10, 07:30 AM   #154
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

thanks bah!! the newest beta 1.33 drivers fixed the corruption issue. Played through the demo twice now with 3d on and off...and I just cant wait for 24th to come by!!!! The demo just increased my anticipation factor by 20!!!!
Old 08-11-10, 09:27 AM   #155
Arioch

Something is up with this game and SLI and/or physx. Using Afterburner I notice that when my framerates are pegged at 60 or close to it, even with 3D Vision enabled and physx set to high, both cards are in the 90s for GPU usage. Then, and it happens at random times, my framerates will all of a sudden drop into the teens and my GPU usage is only in the 30s each. The weird thing is I sometimes use the "replay the mission" option and that same section that was running slow for me will all of a sudden jump back up with high GPU usage and run smooth again.

Anyone else notice this and maybe figure out a solution?
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-10, 09:33 AM   #156
Vardant

The demo is maybe 3 months old, just so you know
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote