Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-10, 03:08 PM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Read magus's post right above yours. Devs will not stop releasing installable games. If you don't like the service then don't subscribe.
The point is that if it takes off, if people flock to it because it's simple and accessible, the two main things consumers love, then it will get more and more attention, then exlcusives, then competitors with similar ideas, then before you know it the entire industry is streamed.

You act like it will always stay in the situation it is in at launch even if it is tremedously successful.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 03:42 PM   #26
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
The point is that if it takes off, if people flock to it because it's simple and accessible, the two main things consumers love, then it will get more and more attention, then exlcusives, then competitors with similar ideas, then before you know it the entire industry is streamed.

You act like it will always stay in the situation it is in at launch even if it is tremedously successful.
As long as retail sales provide more revenue to the publisher then it will stay the same. I mean take steamworks into consideration, its very successful and yet very few games use it.
Old 03-12-10, 03:51 PM   #27
ViN86

Quote:

Sounds like you're still bitter about consoles getting exclusives.

Besides at the current prices with a subscription fee and game fees, it doesn't look like it will be successful. The only people I can see benefiting from a service like this are those who only use laptops, people who own a mac, and people with old computers and no cash to upgrade them. Console gamers already own their hardware and probably won't migrate over.

It's not really a feasible idea imo, but I guess we will see how it plays out. The capital costs must be monumental.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 04:01 PM   #28
|MaguS|

I just read that they will offer a free service with a per game rental option with limited titles. So that could help it. I had Gametap for a LONG time... I loved the service.
Old 03-12-10, 04:08 PM   #29
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Sounds like you're still bitter about consoles getting exclusives.
Uhh... I guess, in some cases... not sure how that is relevant, but whatever.

Quote:
Besides at the current prices with a subscription fee and game fees, it doesn't look like it will be successful. The only people I can see benefiting from a service like this are those who only use laptops, people who own a mac, and people with old computers and no cash to upgrade them. Console gamers already own their hardware and probably won't migrate over.

It's not really a feasible idea imo, but I guess we will see how it plays out. The capital costs must be monumental.
So when you tell us to calm down and not worry about you mean that you personally do not think it will be successful, rather than you do not agree with the implications of its success?

Ok then, but that is not what you were saying earlier.

And Onlive may not be successful, but the next one might be, the one with no monthly fee and less latency. Or the one after that, with full 1080p video and a larger catalogue.

The fear is that eventually streaming will replace installed product on PC. If streaming is massively successful, which knowing the consumer's love for simplicity and convienence over anything else could easily be the case, this is undoubtedly what will happen. Your arguement is that it will not be successful, which is fine, but what I am fearing is that it will be.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-12-10, 05:50 PM   #30
ViN86

Quote:
You're not sure how it's relevant? If you despise consoles having exclusives, then you'd be afraid that if this system were successful it would get exclusives as well.

Quote:
So when you tell us to calm down and not worry about you mean that you personally do not think it will be successful, rather than you do not agree with the implications of its success?

And Onlive may not be successful, but the next one might be, the one with no monthly fee and less latency. Or the one after that, with full 1080p video and a larger catalogue.

The fear is that eventually streaming will replace installed product on PC. If streaming is massively successful, which knowing the consumer's love for simplicity and convienence over anything else could easily be the case, this is undoubtedly what will happen. Your arguement is that it will not be successful, which is fine, but what I am fearing is that it will be.
Even if it is successful, I don't really care. I really doubt it will "end" PC gaming as we know it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 06:17 PM   #31
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:

100% agree with this.

If this takes off, I don't care if half the current PC developers decide to hold out and continue making installable games. Or even three quarters of them.

Losing any good game developers or good games to a service like this would just plain suck.

If any high profile games used this exclusively it wouldn't take long for it to have a large impact on the rest of the PC software and hardware industry. Why buy a new graphics card if Modern Warfare 7 can be streamed over the internet for $15 a month on Intel integrated video? There goes a boat load of hardware sales.

Imagine if it worked well enough (at increasing sales, not at improving games) that publishers started using it for ALL of their new games. If EA, Activision or Blizzard ever did something like this, we'd be screwed.

I don't think its likely that it will succeed, but if it does, nothing good will come of it for us enthusiasts.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 06:20 PM   #32
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

100% agree Capt.

Quote:
Even if it is successful, I don't really care. I really doubt it will "end" PC gaming as we know it.
Depends on why you value PC gaming I suspect.

Old 03-12-10, 10:58 PM   #33
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

of course the prevailing wind at Nvidia news . com will be against this :P

2 words, FAN BOYS.
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 11:19 PM   #34
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by proliferazor View Post
of course the prevailing wind at Nvidia news . com will be against this :P

2 words, FAN BOYS.
What a tard.

Of course we'd (mostly) be against this. Why would I be FOR anything that could potentially make this site and my favorite past time obsolete? I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a PC enthusiast.

I don't understand how anyone who enjoys PC gaming could think that this will be good if it gets hugely popular.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Old 03-12-10, 11:23 PM   #35
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
What a tard.

Of course we'd (mostly) be against this. Why would I be FOR anything that could potentially make this site and my favorite past time obsolete? I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a PC enthusiast.

I don't understand how anyone who enjoys PC gaming could think that this will be good if it gets hugely popular.

If it gets hugely popular it did cause its better! duh
proliferazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 11:39 PM   #36
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by proliferazor View Post
If it gets hugely popular it did cause its better! duh
That's like saying MacDonalds is better than real food because its extremely popular.

No, its just been made unavoidable and given enough incentives (low price, quick and easy) to make you ignore how sh*tty it is.