Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-10, 01:18 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Simplicity "drives the industry"

At GDC there was a Fable 3 presentation and here was a key slide:

As you can see, despite Fable 2 being dumbed down to the point a monkey could play it it just wasn't dumbed down enough, because half the people playing it were too dumb to know what to do.

The answer? MORE SIMPLICITY!

I think we should start a forum pool on how long the mainstream industry has before it completely kills its core audience, for better or worse, and we are all playing indie or small studio games.

I bet 3 years.

Article here: http://kotaku.com/5491095/problem-fa...ables-features
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 01:44 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Simplicity "drives the industry"

Eh its Peter Monowhateverhisnameis, He is pretty retarded to knowning what actually the gamers want. He's basing this on that fact that many people never fully completed the game, but I would say its more about Fable 2 being not that good then being too difficult.
Old 03-11-10, 03:01 PM   #3
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

Dumbed-down is all what next gens are about
Old 03-11-10, 04:00 PM   #4
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Aren't console games dumbed down enough?

Fable 3 = Peggle RPG?

lawl

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 04:08 PM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

This is getting hillarious... some quotes:

Quote:
"According to Molyneux, Microsoft user research revealed that a majority of Fable 3 players understood fewer than half of the features in the game. "We're creating content that people literally don't care about," said Molyneux."
Why wouldn't their response be "wow, half our entire player base cares about this"? Why do they default to caring more about the idiots?

Quote:
To help rectify this, Fable 3's menu system is managed entirely from within the game world. When players pause the game, their character is instantly warped to a chamber with different rooms that serve different functions. Molyneux specifically demonstrated the dressing room, where players will change clothes. Molyneux contrasted the process with that of Fable 2, in which changing outfits was like "going in the morning and choosing index cards to choose what you wear."
So instead of bringing up a menu and quickly changing your outfit or armor you have to warp to another area, likely through a load time, then walk to a certain room, then change clothes.

And this is... easier? More intuitive? Really?

Because it sounds like the opposite.

I played Fable 2 and it was a decent RPG ruined by trying to be for everyone, rather than cater to an audience. That is a real problem with all console games this generation for the most part, in my experience, and it of course carries over to PC as well through ports or similar design ideas. There really comes a point where you are not going to be Peggle, and you are no longer Fallout, and then nobody cares at all.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-11-10, 04:20 PM   #6
Redeemed

I gots an idear- since developers are doing all they can to try and please everybody, they should have no plot.

If you cater to the lowest common denominator, and then make that standard, it'll be something everybody can grasp.

FPS- just have it very generic- make it a hallway that randomly changes directions. Each new section of hallway will have "targets" to shoot- no story at all. Just start, make this last for 8 or so hours, and then roll credits.

Easy.

For RPG's- scratch that. The nature of RPG's implies far too much complexity. No more RPGs.

For RTS's- have the game automatically build up your army. At the bottom have one giant red button. Simply click it to launch devestating attacks on your enemy with the AI choosing how to attack for you. The more you mash this button, the more damage you inflict.

We'll stop here. Anymore than two catagories an it becomes too complicated.

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 04:28 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
For RTS's- have the game automatically build up your army. At the bottom have one giant red button. Simply click it to launch devestating attacks on your enemy with the AI choosing how to attack for you. The more you mash this button, the more damage you inflict.
This has already happened in other genres really... Fable 2 has no dying, no real penalty at all, you just pop right back up where you were. Thus, when fighting an enemy, isn't it just "click the button to make them die"? You could literally stand there and mash the button and eventually win.

And this is too complicated, he says.

I could see this in other genres... RTS, FPS, whatever... Prey and Bioshock pretty much already did it.

The future is interactive movies, not games. Games require risk and reward, a chance to lose, tactics, whatever. We need to completely rename the hobby from the looks of things.

"Interactive Entertainment."

Oh wait, I think a lot of publishers already did this.

Old 03-11-10, 04:43 PM   #8
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

This is the future of gaming:

Old 03-11-10, 04:48 PM   #9
Redeemed

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 05:47 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 06:19 PM   #11
DansFace

meh people need to listen to bioware and the mass effect 2 creators not this peter guy.. I really don't see one game coming out this year that will please me mass effect 2 ...
except maybe starcraft 2 but it'll please me in a multi-player manner :]

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 08:24 PM   #12
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
meh people need to listen to bioware and the mass effect 2 creators not this peter guy.. I really don't see one game coming out this year that will please me mass effect 2 ...
except maybe starcraft 2 but it'll please me in a multi-player manner :]
hmmm, you prefer solo pleasure? hehehe