Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-10, 07:25 PM   #13
Zenoth

Default Re: Better than fraps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You can just recode the videos with better compression. FRAPS doesnt use any compression to lessen the CPU load and offer the best quality from the start.
Finally someone with common sense.

And for users with around 200GB of HDD space it's easy to use FRAPS with moderation, since of course the uncompressed files will be many GBs in size at the end. The longest video I've recorded with FRAPS was 164GB at the end, split in about 30+ files (if I recall correctly, it's been some time now), so the more GB space you have on your HDD(s) on which you let FRAPS place the files during the recording and the less you have to worry about anything pretty much, the HDD I use for it is 900GB large, when I record about anything there's no problems, once it's done all I do is launch VirtualDub and compress the heck out of each files to my tastes. And from the multiple recording softwares I've used I can easily say that FRAPS is the best, and FRAPS now is much better than it was only a year ago, the only thing I haven't been able to do with it so far is to record the Desktop, not that it matter much anyway.
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
PSU: Corsair TX750W
APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 07:26 PM   #14
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
You guys must be joking. Fraps movies are way too big in MB.
ya because its a smooth stream and good quality. if u want it to encode while its capturing ur gona get a laggy vid.

as MaguS said just re encode it to ur desired codec afterwards and delete the source.
Old 03-11-10, 07:43 PM   #15
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriega View Post
You guys must be joking. Fraps movies are way too big in MB.
Depends.

The raw files are, but if you are using Windows (win7 in my case), simply open Movie Maker and blam, automatic conversion of file and, if you set it up right, automatic upload to your Youtube or other account.

It is superfast in Win7.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 07:44 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Clearly Noriega is the perfect candidate for Peter Molyneux games...
Old 03-11-10, 08:33 PM   #17
Albo

Doesn't fraps cut your fps in half?

It does for me.. that's why I don't use it. And probably why Noriega doesn't either.

It gets so bad that it's unplayable
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-10, 09:22 PM   #18
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post

It does for me.. that's why I don't use it. And probably why Noriega doesn't either.

yeah I had the same experience with fraps, but that was back when ET:QW was new. so not sure it's improved since then. I tried to make a "kill" movie with some heavy metal playing, but it was pretty crap due to constant stuttering.
Old 03-12-10, 12:17 AM   #19
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

FRAPS creates a raw video file. If you think that's bad, wait until you throw in some video editing... then, it becomes a godsend (think stupidly high quality, uncompressed video as your source)

Seriously, if you want FRAPS to work properly for movie/video creation, here's what you need...

• Latest retail version of FRAPS (gets rid of that ugly watermark)
  • Medium to high-end Quad Core Processor (Q6600 or Phenom II X4)
  • Decent graphics card (GTX 260 or HD 4850 and up)
  • Extra Hard Drive dedicated to recording videos.

What does this net you?

Uncompressed video on most games at 1080P @ 30FPS

You want proof? The video below was taken with my current rig:

Click that video and watch it at 1080P on youtube

That's on a "crappy" AMD processor too. I'm sure an i7 920 @ 4Ghz could do a lot more.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 12:22 AM   #20
Retrolock

You can try wegame.

http://www.wegame.com/download/

Old 03-12-10, 02:01 AM   #21
shilk

GameCam is also another alternative. But FRAPS is the best. You can even record in lossless RGB which is by far the best quality RAW footage you're going to get. Having something that encodes on the fly is really, really bad.

I'd rather have full control over how I encode the video afterwards. If anyone works in post production like I do, the golden rule is "crap in = crap out". It's a nightmare doing anything with something that's already been encoded. The last thing I'd want is 3rd party software doing it for me.

Like Madpistol mentioned, having FRAPS record the raw footage to a different harddrive other than the one the game is running on increases the FPS tenfold. Try that. I can record with FRAPS and there's practically no dips in FPS. If I slap on high AA and other stuff it shows, but as long as it stays above 30 FPS, I'm completely happy with that since I'm coverting it to 29.95 (NTSC standard) video anyways.
Old 03-12-10, 02:24 AM   #22
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I haven't recorded a video with fraps in a while.

Does it still cap your frame rate at whatever framerate you're recording at?

For example, if I want a 24fps video, will it cap my frame rate at 24fps in-game while recording? I always hated that it had to do this which is why I very rarely record any videos. I'm a 60fps person, and recording 60fps video is just not reasonable due to file size and CPU load. If I could just game at whatever frame rate my system could manage while recording at 24fps, I'd be happy. Even if the video ended up doing some interpolation or something, that'd be fine... though that probably requires more CPU power as well.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 04:33 AM   #23
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
It is a software solution which dumps the framebuffer into a streamed videofile together with synced audio. A high resolution 1920x1200 @ 30fps uncompressed is about 200MB data per second. With a half-res recording it would still be 50MB/s. Now it is dynamic and the file is slightly compressed so the end result would be smaller in practical use, but in the end its still lots of data.

It is pretty clear that recording a huge amount of data would put a strain on the system, which can cause complications as games of course also do that at the same time. Things like I/O and HDD/SSD speed are crucial, but other components like CPU also matters. Some games gives worse performance when recording.

Games that uses streaming data (doesn't pre-load the whole level) would probably create more problems, as they use I/O and HDD at the same time you fraps. It's like copying files while defragmenting or doing a virus scan, if you do that on the same drive it will go slower.

* Record to a really fast and big secondary HDD, which is defragmented or even empty
* Tune down the game settings so it doesn't strain the system
* Test different settings in fraps and find which is the limit you can record with decent performance
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 05:04 AM   #24
Vardant

What about this? http://www.playclaw.com/

And some test - http://capture-game-video.com/fraps-...petition-i.php
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote