Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-20-10, 11:20 PM   #13
jalyst

Default Re: best card/s + sware for S/PDIF or HDMI-Audio input & decode of DD/DTS (other) for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
I have my 360/ps3 running audio through the optical connector while video is going through vga/hdmi. If you just want the audio, you can set both consoles to use the optical connector.
oh yeah I know that, that was not my original quest, as evidenced but the OP.

This looks like standard DD 5.1 up-mixed to 7.1, not 7.1 TrueHD (which can also be 5.1).
And there's no DTS....

The fact is s/pdif (as it currently is) doesn't have the bandwidth for 8ch LPCM TrueHD & DTS-MA
It'll only accommodate DD/DTS 5.1, which is fine anyway for many movies and even more games.
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 11:25 PM   #14
jalyst

Default Re: best card/s + sware for S/PDIF or HDMI-Audio input & decode of DD/DTS (other) for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I have the HDAV1.3 DeLuxe, which has HDMI in and out. But there's a lot of text there and I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting to do. If you can sum it up in one sentence I'll let you know if it can do it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
It sounds like you want to take the 5.1 output from the console, downmix it to stereo, then upmix it again using CMSS3D?
Guys why so quiet? I don't bite!
Or is it our different time-zones at play.
Old 03-21-10, 02:53 PM   #15
jalyst

Old 03-21-10, 03:36 PM   #16
jalyst

I've actually realised my on-board alc889 will prolly be fine for BD playback.
I'll use mostly my Essence ST + H6 for "BD-grade" playback after 1st decrypting/transcoding.
But for the times I can't be foobared I figured a PAP-compliant card would be nice.
Ideally some hacked Essence drivers* that enable player compatibility will appear, but that's unlikely.

Another thing I want (but perhaps less critical) is S/PDIF-in DD/DTS 5.1 decode.
But if the alc889 works for BD, then I think it'll be waste of $ just to buy a card for those abilities!

Especially considering that most consumer level cards with S/PDIF-in decode suffer from a/v desync issues.
As they're typically capture devices that don't have input clocks designed to sync with the the audio source.
Whereas any device that accepts audio data from a digital input and plays it back simultaneously...
Must synchronize it's own output clock to the input's clock e.g: AVR's, SU-DH1, Mixamp etc.

I believe there are ways around it, but I'm not too familiar with the methods.....
If there's a cheap card with S/PDIF-in decode, ideally with the ability to reroute the DAC step to my Essence (prolly not do-able), then I'd buy it.
But not before I bought a SU-DH1 or similar....

Anyone know of such a card?
And of course my Corei3-530 + H57 Mobo can bit-stream when I decide to get an AVR or "separates".

*as its very similar to HDAV1.3 in many respects
Old 03-21-10, 07:39 PM   #17
Lyme

http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QY0Ud4MG0DMfXNiQ
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 07:43 PM   #18
jalyst

not sure why you linked to that?
Old 03-21-10, 07:46 PM   #19
Lyme

Does HDMI input and includes software for HDCP decoding.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-10, 08:01 PM   #20
jalyst

i think you might have missed some of my earlier posts, but thanks for trying to help.

Old 03-24-10, 12:08 PM   #21
jalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I have the HDAV1.3 DeLuxe, which has HDMI in and out. But there's a lot of text there and I'm not sure exactly what you're wanting to do. If you can sum it up in one sentence I'll let you know if it can do it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
It sounds like you want to take the 5.1 output from the console, downmix it to stereo, then upmix it again using CMSS3D?
Guys why so quiet? I don't bite!
Or is it our different time-zones at play.
Old 03-24-10, 12:32 PM   #22
Revs

Sorry bud, just missed the thread

I think the HDMI input is a pass-through only. VGA to sound card, sound card adds sound, sound card to AV amp, amp to screen. Not sure if you can input sound to the HDMI in. I don't think so but I'll double check for ya. Otherwise I'm not overly clued up on sound cards.

I know the s/pdif is an in/out connector though.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 12:36 PM   #23
jalyst

No you def. can't from an external source. What about this?

If there's a cheap card with S/PDIF-in decode, ideally with the ability to reroute the DAC step to my Essence (prolly not do-able), then I'd buy it.
But not before I bought a SU-DH1 or similar.... Anyone know of such a card?

Thanks/night.
Old 03-25-10, 12:35 PM   #24
jalyst

Revs, t3hl33td4rg0n, anyone?

Thank-you.