Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-10, 02:15 PM   #25
jalyst

Default Re: best card/s + sware for S/PDIF or HDMI-Audio input & decode of DD/DTS (other) for

heeello? thank-you
jalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 06:15 AM   #26
Revs

Default Re: best card/s + sware for S/PDIF or HDMI-Audio input & decode of DD/DTS (other) for

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No you def. can't from an external source. What about this?

If there's a cheap card with S/PDIF-in decode, ideally with the ability to reroute the DAC step to my Essence (prolly not do-able), then I'd buy it.
But not before I bought a SU-DH1 or similar.... Anyone know of such a card?

Thanks/night.
Other than what I know about my card I'm not very knowledgeable on sound cards. This Asus is the 1st I've ever bought. Never had to do anything more technical or in depth.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:44 AM   #27
jalyst

Thanks for getting back to me,
Any other former participants or those screening for the 1st time have some recommendations?

Thank-you very much.
Old 03-27-10, 12:20 PM   #28
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Honestly, even if I could figure out exactly what your trying to accomplish, I am no expert in this realm. I know my codecs and the limitations of audio hardware.

The most I can provide is this.

If you want to output an av stream that is already muxed, you will need at least an HDMI 1.3 input in order to demux and reprocess the audio stream (ie: CMSS) to your liking, which means your going to need a PC with with a good sound card that can do this. I cannot help you there because I don't use HDMI and I don't know which card will allow you do this. Then it needs to be remuxed and reoutputted through a graphics cards that can take an audio bitstream in. From there you can output the reprocessed stream to whatever device you want.

The only thing I can think if is to use a seperate video/audio out going into the PC. You can use the X-Fi CMSS and audio crystallizer to process the audio. If you keep the card in audio creation mode, you can further process the audio in other ways as well. As far as the video is concerned, you can buy some kind of HDCP capture device to handle the input of the video. Then mux those seperate inputs and output to the desired device.

If your looking for specific audio/video toi accomplish this, cant help you there.

All I can say is at least get a reciever that is HDMI 1.3 compliant.

gl

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 12:46 PM   #29
jalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Honestly, even if I could figure out exactly what your trying to accomplish, I am no expert in this realm. I know my codecs and the limitations of audio hardware.

The most I can provide is this.

If you want to output an av stream that is already muxed, you will need at least an HDMI 1.3 input in order to demux and reprocess the audio stream (ie: CMSS) to your liking, which means your going to need a PC with with a good sound card that can do this. I cannot help you there because I don't use HDMI and I don't know which card will allow you do this. Then it needs to be remuxed and reoutputted through a graphics cards that can take an audio bitstream in. From there you can output the reprocessed stream to whatever device you want.

The only thing I can think if is to use a seperate video/audio out going into the PC. You can use the X-Fi CMSS and audio crystallizer to process the audio. If you keep the card in audio creation mode, you can further process the audio in other ways as well. As far as the video is concerned, you can buy some kind of HDCP capture device to handle the input of the video. Then mux those seperate inputs and output to the desired device.

If your looking for specific audio/video toi accomplish this, cant help you there.

All I can say is at least get a reciever that is HDMI 1.3 compliant.

gl
Thank-you for getting back to me,

As explained in earlier posts, one cannot capture a/v from an external source via HDMI.
Sure one can output a/v via HDMI to a receiver, but what I'm talking about is capturing the audio stream in order to run it through DH or similar.

The way the PVP & PAP protocols work, HDCP cannot be decrypted by a intermediary device like the PC for the purposes of capturing, reprocessing & then passing on.
Sure there are HDMI capturing devices, but these capture clear stream only, they cannot capture DRM'd content protected by HDCP (e.g. BD's).

So for the purposes of capturing audio from my ps3/xbox, I've resigned myself to being only able to use s/pdif-in.
Which means I won't be able to capture anything better than DD/DTS 5.1.
Which is okay as many Movies and even more Games still only use these older formats.

So....
This is why I'm asking for recommendations on cards that are capable of doing s/pdif-in DD/DTS 5.1 decode.
I'll be getting a SU-DH1 or similar, but I'd also like such a card in my PC, just to "play".

Hopefully this is clearer?
If you know of any such cards I'd love to know! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Good-night.
Old 03-27-10, 11:26 PM   #30
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
This is why I'm asking for recommendations on cards that are capable of doing s/pdif-in DD/DTS 5.1 decode.
If thats all you want to do, the X-Fi platinum can do that, but only through SPDIF optical input on the front panel.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant options so you can see what I'm talking about.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Old 03-28-10, 08:47 AM   #31
jalyst

Is that a model still being sold and does the current version still do that in Win7?
I heard creative killed-off s/pdif-in decode (at least by neglecting dvr support) since Win7.

Thank-you.

@Lyme or Frenchy2k1: any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 03-28-10, 02:12 PM   #32
Lyme

Sorry out of ideas. ps: I hate my xi-platinum card, drivers are the worst.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-10, 10:52 PM   #33
jalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
Sorry out of ideas. ps: I hate my xi-platinum card, drivers are the worst.
Thank-you for getting back to me.
You ever tried s/pdif decode on it w/Win7?

Thank-you.
Old 03-28-10, 11:04 PM   #34
Lyme

Nope. I'm only using it for analog input (microphone) currently and have all my output sound going through my ati radeon 5870 via hdmi.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 12:11 AM   #35
jalyst

Okay thanks for confirming Lyme,

@Frenchy2k1: any advice greatly appreciated!
@t3hl33td4rg0n: could I get a response to my last post responding to you?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-10, 11:14 AM   #36
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
Is that a model still being sold and does the current version still do that in Win7?
I heard creative killed-off s/pdif-in decode (at least by neglecting dvr support) since Win7.

Thank-you.

@Lyme or Frenchy2k1: any advice greatly appreciated!
I have no idea since I never use it. If you want to wait a couple weeks for me to get win7 installed to find out, thats fine. I would suggest the creative forums for more information.

Quote: