NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Official Metro 2033 Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
the game want me to use the 360 controller for menu options very annoying
Stop leaving it plugged in.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 03:44 PM   #146
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Baboon View Post
unfortunately, just like stalker but even more so, the guns are so quiet. Nothing increases the feeling of having a powerful gun in your hands more than a load firing "bang". these guns are so quiet.
I noticed that too, until I played with my headphones on. I noticed a big difference in gun sounds then.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 04:21 PM   #147
wysiwyg

volume control on my keyboard and griffin powermate doesnt work with this game, same was the case with S.T.A.L.K.E.R
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 04:50 PM   #148
WeReWoLf

All throughout the tunnels, etc I was fine... But as soon as I got to the *Edited for spoilers* I'm nervous as hell... Those damn *Edited for spoilers* take about 12 shotgun rounds each before they die, and those damn flying monsters don't help with the ambiance much. Wasted so much ammo on shadows and other things.

I Love this game!
Old 03-20-10, 05:09 PM   #149
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Thanks for the comparison shots Gaco!
The Advanced DoF is not a must have IMO but Tessellation results are pretty nice. But I guess only really noticeable in a side-by-side comparison.
To be honest I feel it kind of opposite. You will probably notice DoF more than Tessellation unless standing still and inspecting for tessellation (or the lack thereof), whereaf DoF seem to affect overall sharpness, lightning, motion blur and just the overall atmosphere.

Although I say this, I'm contradicting myself, because I have already made up my mind that I'm going to play with Tessellation no matter what, and the only open question I still have for myself is: with or without DoF? This is probably because tessellation feels so unique, it's a whole new kind of feature, whereaf the things DoF adds is good, but more like the kind of improvements we're used to seing when increasing the settings and graphical standard of games in general. But I honestly feel that DoF makes the game much more impressive looking. I played through the first few levels with Tes + DoF and then a second time only with Tes when showing it to a friend, and the game didn't have the same kind of wow-factor it had the first time around with DoF. Don't misunderstand me, I'm also at risk of exaggerating here, but my point is that DoF is not insignificant IMO.

However the greatest downside of DoF, and the sole reason I'm not just saying "what the hell" and play with DoF=enabled, is the mouselag I mentioned that it introduced. I hope this can be fixed in a game patch or video driver, and it so reminds me of Crysis when it came out; DX10 attributed with some mouse lag that was not just associated with the lower framerate that resulted. Same thing now with DoF. Luckily this time it's not included in the whole DX11 implemantion, just in the, otherwise impressive, DoF setting. Best case scenario: Around the time of Fermi's release the game is patched to fix a bug that lowers the performance hit of DoF together with the mouselag
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 05:57 PM   #150
|MaguS|

Ugh, Those comparisons made me not care about DX11 even more. I can't tell the difference...
Old 03-20-10, 06:12 PM   #151
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Ugh, Those comparisons made me not care about DX11 even more. I can't tell the difference...
that's what i was thinking...
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 06:13 PM   #152
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Screenshots doesn't fully to it justice, it's more noticable in-game (DoF that is). I've never been so excited about motion blur, but it makes a big difference in this game. With DoF and the enhanced motion blurring, all character movements seems so much more realistic, less like a game IMO. It's hard to explain really, must be seen in action. But I must agree that the Tessellation implementation is not that impressive, not what I've seen so far at least. I mean it's not like the difference of Heaven benchmark at all. And for example some indoor archs are not tessellated either, which is a shame. Still nice to have enabled if you can and I do enjoy the rounder and fuller objects, although the tessellation implementation wouldn't be an instant graphicscard-seller for me either - I'd go ahead anyway for performance alone, and if they optimize more, also for the Tes+DoF combo

I will also add that I have finally found a single scene where I could spot NO difference at all between DoF on and off, not on screenshots and not in gameplay. Although it did look better in motion at this particular spot with DoF IMO because of the enhanced motion blur. I thought I'd share this, as a negative result is still a result (my inner scientist says):

With FoV:

Without FoV:

Still the framerate difference is present though. But as mentioned in most scenes there is notable difference, just not here for some weird reason.

"When Lighting Strikes" (taken by accident):

Old 03-20-10, 07:06 PM   #153
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

One of the things that bothers me in this game (apart from DX11 feature performance on ATI cards) is actually the sound engine, or especially the way that dialogue is handled and blended in (or lack of blending) with ambient sounds. When you walk around in the little settlement and different dialogue queues gets triggered, it doesn't sound like it's coming out in the space around you, but almost like you're hearing voices in your head. In the marketplace there are two different kinds of audio tracks playing: a constant "cafeteria background" track, and then some very distinct and loud conversations that sound like it sounds when you play several audio files at once on your computer. The volume of each conversation varies somewhat with distance, but not in a convincing matter.

Other parts of the sound is really well designed, so it's not all bad. But where the graphics on max settings and especially with DX11 features enabled carried the visuals towards great levels of realism and immersion, the aforementioned part of the game sound brings the realism down and reminds me it's a game. However it's probably not a problem in large parts of the game where you're not sorrounded by crowds all the time, I've only played the beginning, less than the first hour of the game so far
Old 03-20-10, 11:24 PM   #154
sillyeagle
sillyego

Anybody know why this game appears to hose up my video driver when I launch it, requiring a registry restore?

When I launch the game the screen goes black and I get an out of scan range message at the same time the intro movie can be heard. After that happens I'm f*cked, as I get out of range at every boot thereafter, the moment my video driver loads. Even if I reinstall the driver, regardless of driver version, even the basic one built into Win7. using driver sweeper does not help, and the only way to recover is system restore.

I've already got 2 hours invested in troubleshootign this, with no luck, so I'm a bit irritated by this game.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 03-21-10, 12:56 AM   #155
sillyeagle
sillyego

OK I got the damn thing working, which required me to launch the game in windows safe mode, forcing it to fail loading, and then reboot to windows normal mode and launch again, which gives the option to launch in the games own safe mode, due to the previous failed launch attempt. Once the game was loaded into its own safe mode I had to set it to DX10, exit, and launch one more time. As near as I can tell it has to be in DX10 else it f*ks up my video driver.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 03-21-10, 03:43 AM   #156
WeReWoLf

Have you tried changing driver version?