Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-10, 05:45 PM   #1
explo

Default 240 GT

Hello,

I have a 240 GT card and my system is FreeBSD8.0-STABLE amd64. The only available amd64 195.22 driver's supported chip list does not include 240 GT. How ever I am able to load the driver and it seems to run. But there are couple major issues.

First is that its not possible to change the initial frequencies of the GPU or the memory. In beginning I noticed that PowerMizer was changing modes but the frequencies stayed the same stuck at downgraded mode of "Desktop" even if mode changed to Max Performance. I have tried to overwrite that with "Coolbits" overclocking feature but the driver seemed to ignore any overcloking settings that I generated with nvidia-settings. So I ended up with really poor performance in OpenGL applications, equivalent to a performance of a 6xxx generation card.

My second problem has been already reported from what I can see browsing the first page of topics in FreeBSD section. It is the kernel panic after shutting down xorg. Only thing I want to add is that most of the times it does cause a panic but sometimes it closes just fine.

When I checked the 32bit 195.30 driver, it had 240 chip added to supported list. But has the frequency control issue been tackled in it as it make most modern games unplayable at poor frequency rates? Also when can we expect to see amd64 build for it?
explo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 09:24 PM   #2
explo

Default Re: 240 GT

after browsing Linux section I have noticed that linux driver suffers from the same problem by the looks of this topic: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141116 and problem in 195.30 still exists :\
Old 02-24-10, 04:49 AM   #3
Jonathan Chen

I can only add that I share your pain, having recently bought a GT 240 that reliably causes a kernel panic whenever I exit X.

Nothing to do but wait and hope
Jonathan Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 11:34 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please try the 195.36.15 BETA graphics driver release (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148959).
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 01:13 PM   #5
explo

Thank you! 195.36.15 driver fixed all the major problems.