Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How long for console DRM to effect consumers?
It already does. 14 48.28%
Next generation. 10 34.48%
The generation after next 2 6.90%
The generation after the generation after the next. 0 0%
It never will, ever. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-10, 06:14 PM   #13
Buio

Default Re: How long until DRM effects console games?

One thing that is fairly big on consoles now is the second hand market. I think that is something many game distributors want to quench, so we will probably see something made to stop that in the future. Maybe next gen consoles will be more restrictive. But the only way I think they can stop that is by having some sort of serial key delivered with each game that the user has to register. I think it goes somewhat against the ease-of-use consoles wants to have. I don't think console gamers want to use the gamepad to enter a long key for each game. I don't see how else they can tie up the physical box with the user. Maybe Natal will force you to hold up the game so it scans a code + your face and enters it into a Microsoft database (j/k).
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 06:37 PM   #14
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
Maybe next gen consoles will be more restrictive. But the only way I think they can stop that is by having some sort of serial key delivered with each game that the user has to register. I think it goes somewhat against the ease-of-use consoles wants to have.
This is true, but consoles have been becomming more PC-like in certain areas for a while now... patching, servers, different versions, expansions, map packs... even mods in some rare cases.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see them go another step with registering games to an account, like Steam does.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 06:43 PM   #15
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
This is true, but consoles have been becomming more PC-like in certain areas for a while now... patching, servers, different versions, expansions, map packs... even mods in some rare cases.

So it wouldn't surprise me to see them go another step with registering games to an account, like Steam does.
Oh that would be awesome! A console that is totally like steam... omg that would rock!
Old 03-18-10, 07:26 PM   #16
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Oh that would be awesome! A console that is totally like steam... omg that would rock!
Until you want to play some old games in 20 years and the entire system was taken down, sort of like original Xbox Live is being taken down.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 03-18-10, 09:11 PM   #17
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Until you want to play some old games in 20 years and the entire system was taken down, sort of like original Xbox Live is being taken down.
Didn't you buy Assassins Creed 2 for the PC? Isn't that practically WORSE than Steam? :\
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 09:35 PM   #18
|MaguS|

Quote:
Have you ever tried to play an old console? I recently hooked up my Saturn to my TV, holy **** that looks bad...
Old 03-18-10, 11:23 PM   #19
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Didn't you buy Assassins Creed 2 for the PC? Isn't that practically WORSE than Steam? :\
Not really sure which is worse in the long run, I don't have foresight to see who patches out what and who goes out of business when.

More to the point though, we were talking about CONSOLES, closed systems, it's an entirely different thing. I ain't worried about playing AC2 in 20 years, there will be a way, but console games on closed systems with DRM? Whole other bag of wax.

Old 03-18-10, 11:23 PM   #20
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Have you ever tried to play an old console? I recently hooked up my Saturn to my TV, holy **** that looks bad...
This is true... I played the PS1 game One a while back at a relatives on her kid's ancient system and WOW did that look terrible.

The best way to play old console games is on a PC emulator.

Old 03-19-10, 01:52 AM   #21
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Actually it's better to play them on PC with an emulator for whichever system you are trying to play.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 02:31 AM   #22
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Actually it's better to play them on PC with an emulator for whichever system you are trying to play.
Nah, I prefer playing old dreamcast games on my PC emulator emulating linux.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 03:19 AM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That's hardcore.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 03:47 AM   #24
Buio

Quote:
I just wonder how they will try to lock it practically for boxed games. As for Steam, you buy the game there and its connected to your account and not allowed to sell (well some do that anyway). The few boxed games with Steam, like Dawn of War II have serial numbers you register.

Maybe some sort of special media that allows writing to and therefore locking the game disc to your account? I suppose Microsoft will use blu-ray for their next-gen console. The drives are fairly cheap now.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote