Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-19-10, 11:10 AM   #1
B0ne
Booyah

Default EA Fail

Welp. Yep. EA has failed big time. Got through C&C 4 (at last, after play.com gives me it 3 days after release pff). I install OK, log on fine game starts, intro movie plays and then "Unexpected connection loss" every time. Even though I've already logged in.

Pretty awful.
Old 03-19-10, 11:31 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: EA Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0ne View Post
Welp. Yep. EA has failed big time. Got through C&C 4 (at last, after play.com gives me it 3 days after release pff). I install OK, log on fine game starts, intro movie plays and then "Unexpected connection loss" every time. Even though I've already logged in.

Pretty awful.
Everybody should (or should have) learn(ed) from DRM games like this.

DON'T BUY THEM! DON'T SUPPORT COMPANIES THAT IMPLEMENT THIS CRAP!!!!

They will only learn their lesson when their wallets start hurting. People bought AC2 and now they just moan and groan about the DRM. If you bought it and complain, just shut up. You shouldn't have bought it in the first place.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 11:35 AM   #3
B0ne
Booyah

Ouch! I've never ever purchased a game that requires constant internet connection before and I don't mind it, since I DO always have constant internet. However it is annoying that this is happening for no reason.

But yeah, guess is my fault for purchasing a bit haha.
Old 03-19-10, 01:15 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But I guess that's the reason why you don't like this DRM.
Old 03-19-10, 01:35 PM   #5
six_storm

Quote:
And you know what will happen after that? No more PC versions.

So far I'm really liking AC2 DRM. It has no install limits, save game sync and requires no disk. Transferred data packages are very, very small and best of all - it's working! Still no cracked version available.
But I guess that's the reason why you don't like this DRM.
I could really care less about AC2 TBH. The first one is boring . . . and yes, I own it on Steam.

I guess let me ask this. Why don't companies like EA distribute only through Steam or other services like it? Doesn't Steam do the best job at anti-piracy methods? Aren't most games cracked through basic retail copies?
Old 03-19-10, 01:35 PM   #6
logan

Quote:
And you know what will happen after that? No more PC versions.
I hate that attitude. You have to buy the game and you can't say anything bad, or it'll mean the end of the platform. What is this, a charity? Alright everyone, it's that time again... Get out your wallets and we'll pass around the collection plate for the poor, ailing PC gaming industry. Maybe next year we'll thank them for their continued customer abuse by awarding them $15 billion!
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 02:19 PM   #7
six_storm

Quote:
Steamworks as a DRM doesn't work, it has been cracked. And non-Steamworks games on Steam usually use an additional DRM. So I'd say no, Steam doesn't do the best job.

Publishers like digital distribution because the games are tied to the user's account and it's not really possible to sell the games later on.

To crack a game, the medium (physical or digital) doesn't really make a difference. It's all about the game's protection. So far this new UBI method works pretty good.
That's interesting. With as many people that are refusing to buy games from Ubi and EA with DRM, I guess PC gaming is going to die after all.
Old 03-19-10, 02:33 PM   #8
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I hate that attitude. You have to buy the game and you can't say anything bad, or it'll mean the end of the platform. What is this, a charity? Alright everyone, it's that time again... Get out your wallets and we'll pass around the collection plate for the poor, ailing PC gaming industry. Maybe next year we'll thank them for their continued customer abuse by awarding them $15 billion!
It just takes your special kind of spin on it to see it that way, really.

Capitalism is a simple concept to grasp. If you want games on PC, you have to support PC games with money, it's not a hard concept. If you want more PC games you have to buy some PC games... no one is saying all of them, no one is saying even most of them, but you need to chip in, yes.

Not buying games until they are under $20, not buying games period, buying console versions, etc. etc... all that weakens the platform by lowering PC game sales. PC game sales being lower means crappier ports and less PC games overall, it's that simple.

If you want to see it as a "collection plate" then fine, whatever, but do you care enough to contribute? You're acting like you don't.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-10, 02:45 PM   #9
logan

Quote:
It's all about the game's protection.
That's the problem, it's all about them. They're sacrificing customer satisfaction for what they apparently believe will result in maximum cash. Is it your opinion that the average gamer cares, or should care, more about the company's finances over their own personal enjoyment of a product they no doubt already paid handsomely for? This is made worse by the ever increasing restrictions being placed on consumers. It's as if some of these companies are looking for a way out of PC gaming, but rather than exit the market gracefully they lay blame on their customer base - "Hey, we tried to protect our IP, but all of you criminals (eg. our customers) just won't let that happen, all because you didn't want to walk over hot coals for us." If you force your customers to jump through hoops for your benefit, don't expect them to be return customers.
Old 03-19-10, 02:55 PM   #10
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It just takes your special kind of spin on it to see it that way, really.
Spin? Who are you? FOX news? What other way is there to interpret an exchange between two people, one of which says he'll never purchase a game that requires a constant internet connection, while the other replies with "And you know what will happen after that? No more PC versions." And you've effectively said the same thing before as well.

Quote:
Capitalism is a simple concept to grasp. If you want games on PC, you have to support PC games with money, it's not a hard concept.
Capitalism isn't one sided. You can't **** your customers and then hold out your hand expecting money, just because you're a corporate entity. You're entitled to your money, only if I give it.

Quote:
If you want more PC games you have to buy some PC games... no one is saying all of them, no one is saying even most of them, but you need to chip in, yes.
Not if I don't want to. Not if I feel the company has gone too far. Then it's my right to speak out about what they're doing, using any and all outlets at my disposal. On message boards, emails to the company, standing outside their offices with signs, or maybe just with my wallet.

Quote:
Not buying games until they are under $20, not buying games period, buying console versions, etc. etc... all that weakens the platform by lowering PC game sales. PC game sales being lower means crappier ports and less PC games overall, it's that simple.
Games reach $20 because of demand. Exactly what percentage of people do you think wait for games to be at or below that level before buying, that it would have such an extreme effect on the industry?

Quote:
If you want to see it as a "collection plate" then fine, whatever, but do you care enough to contribute? You're acting like you don't.
I have paid my dues to the PC gaming industry. Just because I don't want to roll over and take it up the ass, as you're so eager to do, doesn't mean I'm going to be the death of the industry. On the other hand, your behavior only encourages more of the same.

Your comments are both ridiculous, and insulting.
Old 03-19-10, 03:17 PM   #11
six_storm

In a perfect world, give me a game with no CD-authentication and none of this "Internet Connection Required" crap. Oh and a demo too.
Old 03-19-10, 03:25 PM   #12
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I have paid my dues to the PC gaming industry. Just because I don't want to roll over and take it up the ass, as you're so eager to do, doesn't mean I'm going to be the death of the industry. On the other hand, your behavior only encourages more of the same.

Your comments are both ridiculous, and insulting.
I'm not telling you what to do, I am saying simply that low sales of all these Ubisoft and EA online only games will not help the PC gaming industry, only hurt it. What you do from there is your own decision.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote